A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Orange-Flowered Apron [w/ Tutorial]  (Read 20664 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , apron  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lenalove
« on: May 11, 2006 10:05:25 PM »

See Tutorial Below

I made this apron out of the same pattern I made up for my friend's, but I changed it up a little. Since I'm not much of a baker, I thought I could use this for sewing; the big pocket's so I can listen to my ipod, the medium pocket is for thread, and the smallest is for pins and needles. The actual thing is much brighter/lighter, but my camera isn't too good with colors.

It was pretty easy to make -- I'm not terribly experienced with sewing -- but if anyone would like a tutorial I'd be glad to make one.

--------ETA Tutorial

1. Sketch the base pattern on newspaper (or whatever you prefer to use, but make sure it's large enough). As far as size goes, I cut mine to be about 32 inches at the widest point, 18 inches tall in the middle, and 24 inches wide at the very top. Note that my waist is 26 inches and I'm 5'7", so you may or may not want to alter these measurements.

For me, it was easiest to make some marks at these points and connect them, then fold the paper in half before cutting it out so the sides are symmetrical.

The final thing should look like this:

2. Use the pattern you just made to cut out two pieces. One will be the front and the other will be the back of the apron.

3. If you want lace or a ruffle, baste it onto the good side of the front peice. Make sure that the edges touch. (See image below)

4. Put the good sides of the front and back peices together (with the lace in between them) and sew about 1/2 inch from the edge all the way around the curve. Don't sew the straight edge.

5. Pull out the thread you basted with, then pull the good sides to the outside and iron flat. Your apron should now look something like this:

6. If you want pockets, cut out two pieces of fabric in the shape you want and repeat steps 4-5 on them. Fold the top down inside or behind and sew it down flat.

7. Sew on the pockets. I sew them through both layers of fabric so they'll hold more weight, but if you want you can do this before Step 4 so that the stiches aren't visible on the back.

8. Gather the top of the apron.

9. Cut out three strips of fabric for the belt. Each should be about 5 inches wide; one should be just long enough to cover just the front of your waist, the other two should be the same length as each other and long enough to cover the rest of your waist and tie a bow. Fold all in half and iron, then fold up the bottom and top 1/2 inch and iron:

10. Slip the gathered edge of the apron inside of the short band and pin in place. It's best if you try to match up the back and front edges of it so that the sewing is even on both sides. Sew in place.

11. On each long band, turn one corner inside-out and sew about 1/2 inch from the edge; flip it back and iron flat. On the other side, fold the edge about 1/2 inch on the underside and iron flat.

12. Slip the end of the attached band inside the unsewn end of a long band. Sew across (I also reversed for added strength).

13. Sew along the unfolded side to close up the band.

I'll leave it up to you how you disguise/get rid of the loose threads. Feel free to ask me if any part of my instructions confused you and I'll upload an image of it. I'd love to see how ya'lls come out!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006 01:59:33 PM by lenalove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006 10:20:30 PM »

That is...uber-darling. I love the colours!

I recently wrecked my apron really bad(the floral pattern is completely covered in paint). I've learned to do painting in a painting apron and cooking in a cooking apron...

Tutorial, por favor?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
groschveux
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 11:09:20 PM »

Beautiful! Loving everything about it.
What does the other side look like? Is it reversible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobik
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 11:50:07 PM »

Ahh!  I LOVE it.  I've been meaning to make an apron!  The only other thing I do with my time besides my boyfriend and sewing and friends (and school--ugh, but we can forget about that Cheesy) is bake.  I got some cute fabric intending to make an apron, and that was going to be my next project, besides maybe a halter top.  But anyway, what I'm saying is that I'd love love a tutorial Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherineblack

I love Super Furry Animals

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006 07:37:08 AM »

How cute! I'd love a tutorial! My mum has been looking to buy an apron like this for ages, she only likes these half-length aprons, so she'd be delighted if I made her one. Love the orange trimming!
Cat x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lenalove
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006 02:03:42 PM »

The back is the same orange fabric as the pockets and belt. It would be reversible except that I sewed the pockets on through both layers (because I want the large one to be able to hold my old ipod), so you can see the sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
groschveux
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 02:33:06 PM »

The back is the same orange fabric as the pockets and belt. It would be reversible except that I sewed the pockets on through both layers (because I want the large one to be able to hold my old ipod), so you can see the sewing.

Thank you for clearing that up and for taking the time to make this great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006 05:00:55 PM »

What a beautiful apron! I love the colors and the eyelet trim and the fun design! Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catherineblack

I love Super Furry Animals

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006 07:07:56 AM »

thanks so much for the tutorial! much appreciated - will give it a go soon!
Cat x Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejas_princess
I just started Crafting

I have a site.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006 12:19:14 PM »

Oh how cool... i was searching for a 50s style apron and this is PERFECT... haha.. its been a long time since this was posted though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma Ward Performs Her Poem "Trains"
How to Get an ISBN
Actress Kara Hayward Reads an Excerpt from The Blessed
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
How to Write a Short Story
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...