A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reconstructed EGL t-shirts, skirt - tutorial on p.3!  (Read 43297 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superl4tive
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006 07:00:25 PM »

The first one is especially cool. Do you have pictures of your friend wearing the second one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strangel

She totally confused all the passing piranhas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006 08:49:55 PM »

oh boy! inspiration!!!!

i love love love the shirts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes he calls me Al.
batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006 08:58:56 PM »

my gosh!! those are so beautiful (The pictures were't that bad)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
insomniel
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006 04:23:17 PM »

Okay, here's a very basic tutorial to making an EGL cutsew style shirt. Resizing a large t-shirt, making puffed sleeves, other tips. Let me know if my English is bad and you don't understand. This is my friend in the black shirt!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/insomniel/friends/566008.jpg

First, I like to check these gothic and lolita Japanese brand sites for inspiration. T-shirt reconstruction ideas are under the cutsew (or cutsaw, hah hah, Engrish) section, but everything is cute.
http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/cutsaw/index.html
http://www.angelicpretty.com/shopping/cutsaw/index.html

Materials:
1 oversized t-shirt that you can cut down to baby-doll size
1 large white t-shirt for detachable sleeves (just the front or back will work)
lace, ribbons
elastic
thread, scissors, sewing machine, measuring tape, etc

Steps:

1. Cut off the sleeves entirely and trim down the sides to a more fitted shape. For the pink shirt, I cut off the collar into a squarish neck, the black shirt doesn't need an altered collar. Save the sleeves for later.

2. Here I used another t-shirt for reference, marking out new armholes. These armholes must be shorter than the original sleeve's if you want them to be puffy, at least by an inch. Make sure they're not too small.

3. To make the puffy sleeves, gather the cut edges of the sleeves using a loose running stitch and pull the material together until it matches the length of your new armhole. Sew these sleeves to the shirt. For the best effect, gather up the top half of the sleeve, where it meets the shoulder, not the bottom half near the underarm.

4.  Finish the sleeves by running elastic (the length around your arm) through the hem of the sleeve. I used thin elastic through the edge of the hem, where it is serged and this makes the ruffly bottom. For the black shirt, I cut open a little whole in the hem of the shirt on the outside and threaded thin ribbon into it, long enough to tie into a bow on the outside. This is helpful if you don't have elastic on hand, but the puff isn't as pronounced with ribbon.

5. Add lace and ribbons to your taste. I used cotton beading (or insert) lace on the shirt and cheap raschel lace for the sleeves and eyelet lace elsewhere. Sew up the sides of the shirt. Ta-dah.

Tips/Ideas:
1. If you have a square-neck shirt, sew two ribbons (about 10 inches) to the corners of the collar so that you can cross them around your neck and tie them in the back. This is directly from BtSSB.
2. You can make detachable sleeves out of more t-shirts. Just make a tube almost the length of your arm, add lace or ribbons and sew snaps/buttons that will attach to the inside of the t-shirt's sleeves. Another option is elastic garter around the top so that they can hold themselves up.
3. For the best results, sew ribbon horizontally across the front half of the shirt only. Because the shirt is slightly stretchy and the ribbons and lace aren't, if you sew ribbon all the way around, you probably won't be able to pull the shirt over your shoulders.
4. Don't be dumb like me and cut the back collar if you're also cutting the front. This made the shirt sag on my shoulders, no support.

That's all I can think of. I hope it helps and inspires everyone. I love to see more of these kind of shirts around! They're so cute.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012 08:21:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exeter_Flud
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006 04:44:20 PM »

oh my goodness!!!!! I love eisley! And love the shirt. I'm jealous. haha

Thanks for the tut. I'm gonna go make one now!!! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiss Me, Hold Me, Eat Me...
jennique
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006 08:52:39 AM »

Super thanks! Im in the process of making one without your tutorial, and I'll try another after with it. <3\\

EDIT
Here is the one I made without your tutorial. I think it turned out ok, but the sleeves are more wrinkly then puffy. Sad
 Sorry about the bad quality. But you get the basic jist.

wee Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
insomniel
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006 03:50:57 PM »

Super thanks! Im in the process of making one without your tutorial, and I'll try another after with it. <3\\

Wow, I think that's super cute already. (You certainly wear it better than I do, hah hah.) And thanks for reading up on my tutorial, too! Yay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pisicandru

Don't be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006 01:04:23 PM »

Your friend looks super cute in the outfit ;-)) Thanks a zillion for the tut - i wonder if the pictures will come to life ... i cannot see any of them except your friend picture. But i have an idea on which tee i should try it ... if it comes half decent i will post ;-))
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pristinity
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006 05:37:34 PM »

Kay...so I really need a skirt like that now. As if I didn't have enough projects. Thanks a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kool-aid
bob of chloness

hammy hamatro!! yaay

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006 10:21:41 AM »

question ^__^; how do the detachable sleeves fasten??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im not weird.. im just magic!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Atlanta and West Virginia Hot Dogs and Coleslaw
Sonoran Hot Dog with Tomatilla Salsa
Tailgating Recipes - All-Star Chili Dogs
Completing the Severed Witches Finger Part 2/2
How to Make Halloween Eyeball Bites
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...