A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necklace from resistors (tutorial pg2)  (Read 8355 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosie posie
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006 09:36:00 AM »

Yep, those little electronic doodads have always looked like jewlery waiting to happen to me, too! Very cute!

Sorry, but I have to rain on your parade a little: If the parts are harvested from old circuit boards DO NOT wear them right next to your skin. Lead poisoning from the solder is very dangerous. Use new resistors or wear the necklace over a turtleneck or something. I hate to be a downer like this. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subdefective
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006 10:25:40 AM »

Thanks guys! Cheesy

Good point, rosie posie. Definately have to be careful of that with the used components.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006 12:54:52 PM »

Yep, those little electronic doodads have always looked like jewlery waiting to happen to me, too! Very cute!

Sorry, but I have to rain on your parade a little: If the parts are harvested from old circuit boards DO NOT wear them right next to your skin. Lead poisoning from the solder is very dangerous. Use new resistors or wear the necklace over a turtleneck or something. I hate to be a downer like this. Sad
So maybe I won't smash old electronics open this weekend.  How could I forget?  Thanks for the reminder!  (You're not a downer, rosie posie.  Poison is a downer!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006 03:29:47 PM »

So awesome!!!! My engineer BF is going to drool when I show him this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
honeystarr

i just glued my fingers together...again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006 07:16:49 AM »

thats really cool. I like it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosie posie
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006 07:47:27 PM »

I asked my husband about sources for parts, and he recomends digikey.com as an online source. He says axial resistors are pretty, and cost pennys each, although you probably have to buy 100 at a time. But, hey, thats just a few bucks! Many parts are lead-free now, and because of new EU laws about this stuff the product descriptions will say if they have lead or not. Stevie also says not to buy anything specified for surface-mount, because they are way to tiny. Hope this helps some of you craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subdefective
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006 08:37:15 PM »

^^ Thank you for the comments!

Digikey is good, also mouser.com. I lucked out though, happened upon someone selling a lot of 2000 resistors, all various types (so lots of different colors), for $5 on eBay. I was beside myself. I do have quite a supply now, though. *lol* I recommend looking around eBay anyway, there's always great deals.. plus it's easier to know what you're buying, since they nearly always have pictures; online electronics catalogues are difficult to follow unless you have an electronics-type boyfriend to help. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyleaf_lvr
My computer Rick and I are still together, just in case you were wondering.

This is my puppy.Rick and I make a crappy bmp pic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006 03:01:04 PM »

That is SUCH an AWESOME necklace! I love stuff made from computer junk. Yeah, I am a nerd. But that is sooooooo cool!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyleaf_lvr

~~~~~
My Crafts Blog

Are you age 10-18? Do you knit? Come toTeenKnits, my knitting forum!

Some people have two left feet. I have two left sides of the brain.
delayes_echo
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006 03:39:08 AM »

Delicate and geeky at the same time! Tutorial? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subdefective
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006 08:10:16 AM »

Thanks guys. Cheesy

I whipped up a tutorial. I'm not sure how good it is, I've never done a tutorial like this before. I may have overexplained. Oh well. Also, apologies in advance for the blurriness of some of these pics.

Items you'll need: tools: a pair of pliars (two if your hands aren't always so steady), something to file/sand (I use the file on a multitool but a tough piece of sandpaper would probably work), a pair of wirecutters, jump rings, and resistors (obviously).

Step 1: Take your first resistor, and trim one side. I cut off approximately 1/2 inch of the metal. It cuts very easily. Actually, you could probably use a heavy duty pair of scissors, but the wirecutters are probably cleaner, anyway.

Step 2: Bend the metal up with your pliars.

Step 3: Thread on a jump ring.

Step 4: Bend the metal over the ring with the pliars. Be sure not to squish the metal down over the ring too much, as you want to leave the ring free motion, or the necklace will get kinks in it.

Step 5: Trim the next resistor, then thread it through the jump ring.

Step 6: Bend the metal over the jump ring with your pliars. I'm always sure to bend the metal in opposite directions from each other, like in the picture.

Step 7: Now repeat the steps, unti you have...

Step 8: A chain. This one is approximately 19 inches long.

Step 9: Now, raid your stash of clasps and pick one out.

Step 10: I picked one of these. I have no idea what it's called, oops. Anyway, I just bent the metal of the resistor a bit until it formed kind of a block at the end.

Step 11: Then I closed the clasp over.

Step 12: Repeat with the other half of the clasp, and you have a necklace. Voila.

Step 13: If you want to add decoration of some sort, it's easy to add on. I'm going to put one resistor at the end, like a pendant, sort of. Take an untrimmed resistor and thread it on a jump ring where you want it to hang. I put it in the middle, predictably.

Step 14: Bend it over, like before.

Step 15: You can link as many as you want together, but I just did the one for this tutorial. At the bottom of the last resistor, trim off the metal as closely as you can.

Step 16: It might leave a sharp little edge. This is where the file comes in.

Step 17: Woo file. Cheesy This is why a multitool is a girl's best friend. It has everything!

Step 18: File the edge down until it's smooth.

Step 19: Ta-daaaaaa! Done. Cheesy

Step 20:

http://c.1121.org/tuts/rn/step20.jpg

Get yourself a good-looking model to show it off. Wink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 09:13:56 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
How to Change the Color Of a Car in Photoshop
Adobe Flash Tutorial - How to Make Basic Moving Text
How to Touch Up a Photo in 5 Seconds in Photoshop
How to Use the Glowing Lines Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...