A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,307
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to learn weaving  (Read 3807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

easterbun
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006 08:31:35 PM »

Just an FYI for anyone stumbling across this thread (I realize it's old), the learning to Weave book is excellent, but it's aimed specifically for someone using a 4-harness table or floor loom, not a rigid heddle loom.  It would be worth getting is that is where you are headed, but I think it's usefulness would be quite limited with a RH loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006 03:45:56 AM »

I learned from a friend in high school.

If you just want a small loom, we made our own (about 24 x 36 inches): a rectangular frame made from 1x2's (we used corner braces to keep the corners square) with small bright finish nails spaced at 1/4 inch across the top and bottom. 

Shuttles were made from paint stirrer sticks from K-Mart (notched ends to hold yarn, then sanded) and we used a wide-tooth comb to pack the weave.  Actual cost was about $8.

Now that you brought that up, I think I want to make a table loom again... haven't done any weaving in years.  My husband will kill me though, since I already have 16,000 UFO's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006 11:53:41 PM »

Now that you brought that up, I think I want to make a table loom again... haven't done any weaving in years.  My husband will kill me though, since I already have 16,000 UFO's.

Well, one more won't hurt, really, then.  Cuz, what impact does 16,001 have? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
niftyknitter

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006 08:41:36 PM »

I'm excited I just registered for my classes for next semester and signed up for a weaving and fiber arts class!!  I have been dying to take this class as the looms sit right in the middle of the hallway of the main art building and have been tempting me to take this class since my freshman year(I'm a Junior now)!!  I realized I have 3 semesters left so I better sign up for the class quick while i still can!!  Though I know it will only further my fiber obsession, first knitting, then spinning, and an attempt at learning crochet that hasnt yet progressed past the chain stitch but who knows... i am officially a fiber junkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
http://seewetzbike.wordpress.com
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006 11:10:36 AM »

I was taking a fibers/weaving class at my school this semester Smiley
It was really informative, and it taught me a lot about different yarns/wools/etc. I really enjoyed it, and have even been thinking about getting a small loom Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Happened To Handmade?
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Holiday Snack Packs
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make a Gold Glitter Pillow Case
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Peppermint Sugar Scrub
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Chic Friendship Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...