A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HOUSTON CRAFT FAIR PLANNING  (Read 4984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thinkgeek
« on: May 11, 2006 12:08:50 PM »

Hello. I started this new thread as a space to throw out ideas for the craft fair we all seem so interested to have in Houston.

Please post any ideas or experiences you have regarding alternative craft fairs.

At any point during the planning, if something is decided (meaning: definite) I will post it on my domain in order to keep a running list of the plans (and so they won't get too lost in here). The page is - http://www.prettyinprint.net/craftfair.html

I'd like the first event (here's to hoping there will be more to follow) to be later this year (to allow plenty of time to plan/promote)... in the fall sometime of maybe specifically November if it is marketed as a good place to shop for holiday gifts. At first, that sounds like a while away, but when you think about how many things have to be done between now & then (and the fact that I'm sure we're all busy with school/work/families), I think it will be here in no time.

I have a few requests to get us going...

First - Anyone have any name ideas?

Second - Location ideas?

Third - Should we do all of this here on craftster? Do you think it will get lost in the mix? If we need a separate space, I can set up a discussion board on my domain so that we can have several different threads covering all the different aspects of organizing the fair. Think we need one?

Also - There is a craft fair to go along with the Southern Girls Convention being held in Houston in June. I've reserved a space for myself there, and will hopefully come away with a better idea of what we should/shouldn't do. Please let me (us) in on any craft fair secrets you may have!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 12:11:33 PM by thinkgeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006 03:23:51 PM »

Hey I emailed you earlier today but I just found out my e-mail is acting funky so I'll resend it. I went to a Mom's/Baby Faire at the Astrodome like 2 years ago and it seemed to be plenty big a room. November sounds perfect as for a time to aim for. It will give us plenty of time to get everything set up and get the vendors plenty of time to get their products in order. If there's not a craft fair by this name already Craft-o-rama is the name idea I've come up with so far. I'm a SAHM so I'm on this computer pretty much all day and don't have any problems e-mailing people and going out to deliver fliers and such. If you'd like I can probably go to the craft fair in June to meet you, talk more and look around and see what we're looking at. Thanks so much for starting this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 09:50:58 PM »

X3 I'm no good with coming up with good names for things, I like Craft-o-rama  Grin

I think if we start getting more people involved we should open up our own forum, that once this goes down, it can turn into a Houston Crafting forum  Cheesy

I have to say, we should offer all ranges of crafting styles... I went to one out in Rosenburg and I was so bored. Offer things that generations of families can come and find something they like. From the elderly to the teen to the child. You know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 09:59:54 PM »

I like the area of November. That is a great amount of time. I am not really good at computers, but I am on Craftster pretty much all day. "Craftster Army, Texas Corps"?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
thinkgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 11:57:54 PM »

ooooookay... I went ahead and set up a discussion board for us to use for the planning, b/c I thought it would be easier to have different threads for different aspects of the planning (and I liked the idea of having the board turn into a general Houston Craft forum in the future).

I added the link to the planning page on my domain -- http://www.prettyinprint.net/craftfair.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006 06:27:48 AM »

thanks so much thinkgeek! Is there a way I can get the password to post in the Administration Discussion forum?

aliceownsj00: I like out here in Rosenberg and the only craft event I've been to is there Christmas one and it does tend to lean towards all things Craftster is not (think potpourri covers, etc... things your grandmothers probably have in their attic). I agree about having it be more "hip" but still have something for everyone. Remember that some of the teens that we would be aiming for might have to have their parents bring them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 09:06:06 AM »

I do agree that the event should be geared to a fairly wide audience, but it also needs to have an "identity" of being another of the "alternative, hip" fairs, instead of just another craft fair (b/c there are TONS of those around here).  Plus, I can honestly say that my mom (who was born in the 50s) would be much more interested in this type of craft fair, than the country-toaster-coazie kind.

RandomCrafter: Unfortunately, because it's the free version of the board, I am unable to set up any other moderator/admin accounts. The only account there is, is the that controls the whole board ("houstoncraft")... Once there is some money coming in, maybe we can upgrade or move to one that has more options with that (especially if we're going to leave the board up as a Houston crafter hangout type thing).  Is there any specific reason you ask? Something you wanted to post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006 12:29:52 PM »

oh no i just saw the discussion so I thought thats where we're supposed to go LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thinkgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006 02:06:06 PM »

The "Houston Craft Scene" & "Craft Fair Planning" boards are available for anyone to post on.  : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nikobee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006 08:14:02 PM »

Hi everyone....  I just ran across this post.  Has a name been chosen?

I'm better when I can talk it out and brainstorm with people but what abou Zakka Houston or Houston Zakka?  making the word Zakka the most prominent word.  For those of you who don't know what it means it is a Japanese terms generally meaning "a little of this, a little of that" .... here is a copy paste of some more info... Oh maybe Southern Zakka!  or Hot Zakka... ya know cause its so freaking hot here!  ok here is the more info about Zakka

Zakka
"In Japan, all the 'small, various sundry products used in everyday life' are commonly called 'zakka,' a term which encompasses household goods, daily necessities and sundries. However, the specific range of products covered by this term is unclear. According to the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, the following eleven products fall under the definition of 'zakka,' . . . :
- Light sheet metal products
- Glass products
- Ceramics and simple china
- Fine ceramics
- Enamelware
- House furnishings
- Musical instruments
- Stationery
- Toys
- Leather products
- Leather shoes

However, this definition does not include products made from materials such as bamboo, cane, cloth and plastics, as well as various, small sundry goods being sold at hardware stores and kitchenware stores." - JETRO Japanese Market Report on Household Products, No. 55, March 2001, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO).

Ok just my thoughts and ideas....

So far how many people are in on the planning of this? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Pixel Gets its Color - Bayer Sensor
Overlay Adjustment layer in Photoshop
How to Edit a Composite Image
How to Read a Target Using Adobe Lightroom
How to Read a Target Using Photoshop Raw
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...