A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: photo tutorial for the pillowcase skirt with godets!!! finally!!!  (Read 138168 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2004 11:47:16 PM »

I determined that just starting a new thread for this would be a good idea, as it Is a different skirt. same style, however. Alright, for this skirt you're going to need:

-a pillowcase (duh). if your pillowcase, like mine, does not have a seperate solid colored band around the top, you'll either end up having your godets be the same pattern as the rest of your skirt or you will have to find some random fabric to use for them. i just happened to have some painfully bright yellow canvas stuff lying around.
-thread in a color that goes with your pillowcase and will stand out well against it
-a zipper. 7" or so is fine. non separating, of course.
you'll also need an iron and a decent sewing machine, but i assume you have those if you're even going to attempt this.

first of all, cut open all the seams

then cut your rectangle of fabric along the bias in a few places

so you can piece it back together into a rectangle that's all on the bias.

once you have it all laid out, right side up, pin the pieces right sides together, making sure to pin and sew the longest seams completely before doing the shorter ones.

sew all the pieces together with a 1/4" seam allowance (which you probably can't quite make out in my crappily lit and too close up picture)

press all the seams flat, but not open. both layers of seam allowance have to stay to one side of the seam. bust out the overedging foot for your sewing machine, crank up the stitch width to 6.5 and lower the stitch length to 1-ish, and proceed to do a zigzag stitch on the front (good) side of your fabric with the guide of the overedging foot resting right in the seam and the seam allowance over to the left side.

Once you've done that to all your tiny seams they should look much like this:

there's undoubtedly a way to do that with a serger too, but as i don't have a serger.....

anyway, now it's pattern-making time. your first pattern piece will look something like this:

but longer. A (the top line) is your waist measurement (or wherever on your hips you want this to sit) divided by 6. keep in mind that this skirt will be a bit stretchy, so you'll probably want to subtract an inch or two from your waist measurement before dividing it just to make sure it fits better.
B is the measurement of the widest part of your hips (subtract 1/2" to 1" if you want it to be more fitted) divided by 6. make sure to draw B parallel to A as many inches down as it is from your waist (ish) to your wide hip on your body. i hope that made sense.
C is the finished length of your skirt+1" for waistband and 1/2" or 1" for the hem. So for a skirt that ends up 17" long you'd need to make C 18.5" or 19", depending on how good you are with doing narrow hems. keep in mind that you can't make C much longer than 19" or you won't have enough fabric to cut out your pieces.
1/2" seam allowances on the sides and you're good to go.

your second pattern piece is much easier:

A is how wide you want your godets. the wider you make A, the swishier your skirt will be around the hem.
B is how tall you want your godets. this can be anywhere from a couple of inches to the width of your solid pillowcase band. mine were something like 7".
add 1/2" seam allowances again and snip the top of your suddenly very tall and pointy triangle down to 1/2" above the top of B.

now you have pieces! cut out 6 of each.

figure out what order you want your main pieces to be in

pin all your nonsense together

i found it easiest to pin all the main panels together about halfway, then pin the godets into place. remember to leave one seam open for your zipper.

sew things together with a 1/2" seam allowance for the next 20 minutes. godets are easiest if you do them first, IMHO.

press your godet seams flat so the seam allowances aren't under the godets and do that thing with the overedge foot again

so when they're all done they can look rad like this:

baste your open side seam shut and install your zipper in the centered way (there's a really good tutorial for this somewhere around here. the link to it is in the sewalong thread.)

now you should be at about this point:

alright, so the way i finished the vine skirt from here was to just press all the unzigzagged seams open and do a rolled hem and waistband and then handsew a hook&eye closure right above the zipper, HOWEVER i don't like to repeat my projects unless it's by commission and i miscalculated my measurements on my main pattern piece, so this skirt is going to have a waistband. THEN i will roll the hem and the top edge of the waistband and sew in a hook&eye closure.

WOW THAT WAS RATHER RUNONISH

NOTE- you may have noticed that the vine skirt is a bit more fitted. for the sake of making this tutorial accessible to those who don't happen to have double-darted basic skirt blocks lying around, the main pattern piece shape is not extremely contoured. if you're interested in making a more fitted version of this skirt, let me know and i'll post some more instructions.

~~EDIT~~ I ended up attaching a waistband (which was too small and was given little inset bits of the flower fabric to correct my problems with measurements), installing The Sexiest Zipper i have ever installed, and sewing little yellow bows to the top of each godet. It fits me so very well that I am quite sad about it being yellow. Yellow, sadly, is another one of those colors that I can't wear.

VOILA!!! SUNNYSKIRT IS BORN!!!  Grin

~~SOLD~~
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005 03:34:00 PM by juniperl13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004 12:40:34 AM »

Awesome tutorial. I now feel the need to learn how to sew more than ever.

--Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
sh00ga

Lama must be spelted with one 'L'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004 04:05:35 PM »

oh my!  that is so cute and professional looking, and the tutorial's great!  ahh, i think i'll rest my cut-and-hand-sew approach for a bit to try out your tutorial ^^;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life needs more sugar.
SarahFroggy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004 05:14:35 PM »

that skirt rocks. i might have to give it a go. is there any way that you could show a 3 second drawing of how you cut the pillowcase "then cut your rectangle of fabric along the bias in a few places so you can piece it back together into a rectangle that's all on the bias." not sure how to go about that. probably pretty simple. but ug. makes my brain hurt..hehe looks like some sort of geometry to get it to fit all back together and i never did get along well with math Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004 09:19:40 PM »

as an example of how to turn a regular rectangle of fabric into a bias-cut rectangle of fabric:

keep in mind that that's just one way. by playing around with it you can do the same thing with infinite variations. i mean, my two pillowcase skirts and this little rectangle of fabric all ended up with different configurations without me even trying. just play around with folding the fabric and picturing in your head how the shapes will fit together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

SarahFroggy
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004 09:39:00 PM »

cool thanks. i was completely lost..hehe silly me Smiley you're so nice to have made a little diagram.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nycole
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004 09:11:34 PM »

I was inspired by this fabulous tute to make one of these of my own. Its way short and i think its cute for the beach. Thanks for the tute!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005 10:14:28 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004 02:09:10 AM »

HOLY @(#$^@!(*#^%!(*#@^!!!! someone actually used my tutorial???!! WOW, i feel so....neat!  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

i love how your skirt turned out, btw. you could run away to hawaii in that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004 07:13:51 AM »

I've never messed with the on-the-bias sorts of things, as bias is one of the many quirks of sewing that I have yet to master (die, little weird twists in the hem because it isn't quite even with the bias, die), but this looks like a lovely project to start with.  Beautiful work, I will most certainly be making my own.  Quest of the day: thrift store pillowcase raid!

Thank you for taking the time to put this together.  Your efforts are vastly apperciated, and I shall join the masses bowing at the feet of your pillowcase-reconstruction divinity.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k4te
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004 01:32:57 PM »

would it be possible to not bother with the whole bias thing and just skip to the pattern pieces and do it like that? great skirt but i'm not amazing at sewing so thatd probably be easier for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Tips on Making Buffalo Wings
How to Make Dixie Bell Cornbread Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...