A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New around here... Dark themes.... Tapestry Crochet Skirt idea.. input?  (Read 1586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 16, 2004 04:33:51 PM »

Hi there all! I am so happy that i've found this site.. I crochet, and I love dark themes, but there is noone to appreciate dark themed crochet! My mother would cock her head to one side, My mother-in-law would just say it confirms her suspicions, and none of my friends are gothy at all (hopefully we can change that soon). So THIS website will help me with my inspiration to go ahead and do those dark projects I've been filing away in my brain! I'm so excited!

One of my ideas is to chochet a skirt using round tapestry crochet, and make a really cool 2 color pattern that either repeats or is constantly changing all the way down the skirt. And it'd be ankle length.  The only thing i'm thinking is: If I was to use regular soft worsted weight yarns, Wouldn't a skirt that length be really really heavy? Would it stretch out of shape? would it stretch such that it would expose the hiding color? Hmm..  I'd do a wrap-around skirt, except then I couldnt do tapestry crochet unless I wanted to learn to sc backwards, and I'm not thrilled at that prospect.  I suppose I could try to find a lighter yarn, or use baby or sport weight yarn.... but then it would reallllllly take years.... what do you think??

Right now my current project isnt dark, it's kinda nerdy in fact, but it'll look good, even to people who won't recognize the fan-art aspect of it. I recently ordered a digital camera, so floods of pics are on the way.
It's a triangle shawl made with Homespun Delft [color] and the trim will be Montana Sky (white with lt blue and lt purple occasionally and a deeper, but brightish gem blue). The whole thing is sc, (I know, I'm insane, but i have to cross-stitch on it when i'm done, and I hate the look of it when ONLY the section that is xstitched is sc, and the rest is dc or something...) and I'll x stitch the white half of a yin-yang on the back of it with a fun crinkly eyelash white yarn. it's an "Aes Sedai" shawl, from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. If you havent read them yet, you'd better get going! They are the best. I'm not into fantasy, but these books rock the house. And they provide SOO MUCH artisitic inspiration! They're great for artists and crafters. Good stuff.  Anyways.....

Ok that's enough for now, Pics to follow,
Thanks!

"SkullSeamstress"

OK here's a shawl i made previously that vaugely resembles the shawl I'm making now. This was actaully a comissioned work, sold to a fellow WOT fan (wheel of time).  the final pic is a shot of the halo i got from brushing the white sparkly lion brand wool-ease with a plastic bristled brush.. love it!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005 10:51:34 AM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004 04:46:10 PM »

The only thing i'm thinking is: If I was to use regular soft worsted weight yarns, Wouldn't a skirt that length be really really heavy? Would it stretch out of shape?

Probably.  If you think of the skirt as being roughly the size of a small blanket, and then you think about how heavy crocheted afghans can be, yep, it's gonna be heavy, which could pull it down a bit - but I remember reading about how you should stop a few inches before your final length when knitting or crocheting a skirt and hang it up for a few days, then re-measure and see if you need to add any more to get the right length.  I'd be more worried about how heavy it would be to wear than about exposing the hidden color, so even if it took longer to do in a lighter yarn, the chances of my wearing it would be higher. 

Do you have to use tapestry crochet?  What about intarsia?  I've done two-color patterned crochet that way, no learning to crochet backwards needed. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004 06:48:08 PM »

Just so you know, it's kind of rude to post so many times, especially when it's the exact same message.
That said, welcome to Craftster and I hope to see some of your things soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004 10:45:57 AM »

Well, it seems like I've gotten off to a bad start here, I only posted it in places where the subject matter was appropriate.  Wont be doing that again, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Review of the Nikon D300 - Part 2
Review of the Nikon D300 - Part 1
How to Know whether the Nikon D90 and D300 is Right for You
How to Take Pictures of Lightning with a D-SLR
How to Know Whether The Nikon D700 or D300 is Right for You
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...