A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kirsten Dunst Pithy hat knitalong anyone?  (Read 23718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2006 08:30:00 PM »

I just started on the Elizabethtown Hat tonight, and I'm following the pattern from Little Turtle Knits.  Now, my head is pretty tiny and I usually have no problem having hats fit on my head, but this thing seems a waaay too small.  I used size 6 dpns and cast on the 68 stitches, but it looks like it would fit the head of a small child right now.  Did other people have this happen to them as they went along and it turned out ok?  I'm pretty sure my gauge is ok... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

qbmaya

Runs with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2006 10:24:33 PM »

It may look small, but part of that is the ribbing.  Plus, rember that it is supposed to stay snug around your head.  Did you knit a swatch on your size 6 needles first?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the deadliest woman in the world [with knitting needles].
blck_celebrtion
Misanthrope extraordinaire

Misanthrope extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2006 04:37:12 AM »

Detroy: holla at that hat.

Just a suggestion, do you think some modifications (increases after the ribbing) could give a similar result as the Mary Jane hat?
http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt20.htm

If someone already mentioned it, my sincere apologies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2006 07:21:50 AM »

It may look small, but part of that is the ribbing.  Plus, rember that it is supposed to stay snug around your head.  Did you knit a swatch on your size 6 needles first?

Yeah I didn't see what the gauge is supposed to be in the directions...but I am using worsted weight yarn....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2006 09:17:39 AM »

I thought it looked way too small, too, but mine came out ok.

As to the link to the other hat, the pithy hat has an open look... the other hat doesn't. It is just a rib. The increases after the ribbing tend to make it baggier. The pattern you linked to doesn't use increases at all. But if you mean that you want it to fit like that, I have seen several people's hats on here that are close fitting as opposed to baggy. Just don't knit as much length, I think... I wanted a looser fit, so I used knit mine longer, although still not as long as the pattern suggests. I'm sure someone who made theirs smaller could better advise you on that end than I. But if you really like the look of that other hat better, I'd just knit that pattern. It looks very easy. I actually really like that pattern and may use it. Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
qbmaya

Runs with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2006 11:15:43 AM »

Quote from: knittinkitten
Yeah I didn't see what the gauge is supposed to be in the directions...but I am using worsted weight yarn....

I mean, you can determine how far it will stretch if you knit a st stitch swatch first.  When I made my hat, I used size 5's for the ribing and size 8's for the body of the hat because I liked the fit better.  I also tend to knit a bit looser than most people, so my gauge is probably different from that of other people in the KAL.  Try the swatch first and determine from that whether it is too big or small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the deadliest woman in the world [with knitting needles].
Riddikulus
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2006 06:40:19 PM »

mm, a little over halfway done with it. mine's a christmas present for a friend. it's seriously the softest yarn i've ever knit with. it's going to take a heck of a LOT of the "spirit of giving" to keep from keeping it for myself! :]

of course, i might "borrow" it over the next few days as it's getting really cold..

kidding.

progress:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby-luv

I'm just a baby when it comes to knitting--wah

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2006 10:09:27 AM »

It looks fantastic!  What kind of yarn is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riddikulus
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2006 01:42:49 PM »

It looks fantastic!  What kind of yarn is it?

aw, thanks! i've gotta dig the label up, haha. it's some "exclusive" stuff from joann's, 'cause southeast texas doesn't have much of a need for yarn stores.. (bummer!) but yes, it's "sensations bellezza collection tesoro," whatever that means! and it is wonderfully soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onsidewalks

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2007 10:03:57 PM »

hihi
so i made the elizabeth town hat, it was my 4th knitting project, 1st cabled project and 2nd hat i've ever made...
I followed the pattern correctly, yet, the hat is just extremely long...the pattern calls for 10" so that it's "baggy" like it is in the movie pics....(i never thought it was that baggy!) and now it's just like a long tubular toque...am NOT satisfyed with it at all Sad
has anyone else found their E-town hats to turn out way way too long? or is there like a special way to wear it?
some pics are here: ( i can't post pics yet..  Undecided )
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=74910
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm gonna try it all ... eventually
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Double Crochet Stitch
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 9/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 6/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 8/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 4/12
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...