A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Sock Virgin* KAL  (Read 23269 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitwitUK
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2007 01:56:52 AM »

Im a bit late to join this knitalong, but I just finished my first pair of knitted adult size socks!

Its not my frist pair of socks as I made the example mini sock from the knitty tutorial ( so sweet!) and tried to make some adult socks from some leftover acrylic about a year ago , but I had second sock syndrome as the first one turn out stiff and horrible.

Really pleased with my first completed socks though! Made from hand dyed alpaca merino from the Natural Dye Store. I've got some slight laddering where the needles joined (not really sure how to avoid this as I tried pulling the stitch tight every time I changed needle - anyone got any tips?)

P.s please excuse my pasty legs!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
rachelo
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2007 07:33:50 AM »

They're great, knitwitUK! 

I don't know how to avoid the laddering except to move your stitches around the needles every once in a while -- although I think that only distributes the laddering (I'm also bad about doing this). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
2muchstuff2day
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2007 09:12:05 AM »

Great job everyone!  Nice socks!

I've hit a rough patch with my socks and frogged them twice this week... Bamboo needles were going great the first day... second day somehow I twisted the project and ended up knitting on two needles with the yarn hung up on the other two (recoverable) then 2) realizing I had purls where I wanted knits... (obviously I was not paying attention!!)... ripped that sock out... I ordered some Susan Bates Quicksilver needles and started socks on 2 circulars... My needles have terrible joins and the yarn does not slide on them at all... frogged that attempt as well. 

So for a month of trying, I have nothing to show for my efforts... I am getting better at working with the little needles so the practice is not for naught, but I would like to have a finished pair of socks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leaudemiel
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2007 06:37:01 PM »

My friend Andria convinced me in two words: No Seaming. I've had to frog once (gauge was WAY off) and buy new needles (who knew there was such a big difference between Size 2 and 3!

Anyway, I bought a skein of Opal, based on a painting (who knew?) and I just love the striping!!

Here's a picture of my progress so far (I did 15 rows in rib, now I'm going for 7 inches of stockinette.

And I'm ridiculously in love with how cute the little stitches are:

I'm hoping to get the 7 inches done so my friend can talk me through heel turning!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007 09:01:11 AM by Leaudemiel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelo
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2007 06:18:10 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone is still working on their socks (I am!), but I thought I'd post! 

Leaudemiel, I love your colorway!  If you need help with the heels, this site is a great walk through.  It's what I'm using on my socks (after getting so angry at other patterns, I threw things Undecided).  I'm currently working on the loooooong foot part before the toes.  It's taking forever, even though I'm working a bit a night.

Good luck and let us (if anyone is still eying this knitalong) know how it goes!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leaudemiel
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2007 11:51:13 AM »

I'm still going! I've gotten my 7 inches and tonight I am turning a heel, with or without a coach!

Thank you for that tutorial!!! Smiley I will post once I get the heel done!

M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelo
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2007 04:00:45 PM »

You can do it, Leaudemiel!  I was soooo worried about the heel and that tutorial saved my life.  It was really clear.  Good luck!  I'll try to post what I've gotten done soon.  I'm maybe halfway done with the foot part on both socks.  It just feels like it's taking forever (and I'm even using massive yarn and needles!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2007 06:27:23 AM »

Here's where I'm at:

I have about an inch and a half on each sock until I can decrease (this is after knitting for about 5 hours in front of the TV last night).

Oh, and they're not lumpy, just trying to be flat on dpns.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2007 07:44:38 PM »

omg, you go girl! so do you think you would recomend doing both at once?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2007 09:14:38 PM »

I just finished my first sock and started on the second. Hopefully, I'll have the second done faster than the first  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save and Share the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Button Mode in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Playback Option in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Load and Play the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Recording Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...