A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,311
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Button / Badge / Pin Makers  (Read 95279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

momo

turn on the bright lights

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2004 10:00:07 PM »

I've finally decided to buy a button maker, I thought of a 1 1/4" bench press system one from badge-a-minit
http://store.yahoo.com/badgeaminit/114benpressy.html
but I have a problem:  second I have never really made buttons....

any help would be welcomed =)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005 06:13:19 AM by momo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

one, two, three, and: cha-cha-cha!
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004 06:03:06 AM »

i can't help on the button making, but as for the pray for our troops...i'm as anti-war as they come, yet, my dearest cousin is stationed in mosul, iraq and has had extremely close calls, so i have different reaction towards soldier-supporting logos now.  one can be anti-military yet pro-troops, i believe-they're just people with many different reasons for having joined.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanut
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004 06:13:19 AM »

My mom has a shop that I worked in during the summer growing up and one of her services is button making.  As with many products, in button makers the more metal components there are, the better.  Also, make sure you check the prices for any replacement pieces (more button backs, etc) to use in the machine you decide on.  You might find that spending a wee more on the machine means that you save oodles in the long run on replacement pieces.  Good luck!

As for anti-war, pro-troops messages....I saw one the other day: "Hate the war, Love the warriors"  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004 06:13:24 AM »

Hi momo.

Button making is fuuuuun! My boyfriend has this one for making 1" buttons:
http://www.buttonsonline.com/model100.html

I believe that you're two basic choices for serious button making are the Badge-a-minit which you already know about and the Dr. Don's one above.

The Badge-a-minit is definitely more inexpensive but the machine doesn't look as sturdy as the Dr. Don's one (all metal). But I bet that if any of the parts for the Badge-a-minit wear out, you can get replacements.

Whichever way you go, I have a tip for ya... You know those big circular "craft punches" you see with scrapbooking supplies? Well for 1" buttons we found a circular hole punch that punches out circles in exactly the right size! (1 1/4" I think) It's so much easier that using any circle cutter they provide. You shouldn't buy a craft punch until you figure out exactly what size the circle needs to be. And even then, you may have to order it online because chances are you're local craft store won't have the exact size you need.

Here's a pic of some of the buttons my bf has made:

Have fun! And let us know how it works out!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004 06:02:13 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
CircusManager220
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004 05:55:12 PM »

i can't help on the button making, but as for the pray for our troops...i'm as anti-war as they come, yet, my dearest cousin is stationed in mosul, iraq and has had extremely close calls, so i have different reaction towards soldier-supporting logos now.  one can be anti-military yet pro-troops, i believe-they're just people with many different reasons for having joined.

Agreed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
CircusManager220
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004 05:59:12 PM »

Once they adverstised a button maker and it looked like it was for kids. And since I don't plan to make a great deal of pins I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
thewalrusisme
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004 06:36:06 PM »

one can be anti-military yet pro-troops, i believe-they're just people with many different reasons for having joined.

Amen Sister!!  Wink

As for the button making.. thats fun stuff, at the warped tour a few years back they had a stand where u could make one for a dollar and the proceeds went to some sort of cause..i forget what, but its a great/easy/fun/fast/spunky/rockin idea..
good luck with it chica!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004 10:25:50 AM »

I have this hand press:
http://store.yahoo.com/badgeaminit/handpresskits.html

The hand press is much cheaper but it's kind of tricky to use. It takes a few minutes to do each button and there's a lot of room for error. It is VERY manual. Everytime I dig it out I waste a button by screwing something up before I get into the swing of it. But I just use it to make silly buttons for friends - nothing business related so it's not that big of a deal.

I'd say if you're just going to make a few buttons and just want it to play with, the hand press is fine, but if you have ideas of churning out lots of buttons I'd go with a big table press like the one you picked out.

Either way, I'm happy with the service I've gotten from Badge-a-Minit, so I'd recommend them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
Amalia
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004 11:00:34 PM »

Is the Badge-A-Minit a good machine? I recieved a 1 1/4" Button Maker from Dr. Don's about a year ago as a gift... It's probably the best thing i own. I use it all the time. Makes GREAT and very personal gifts for friends.

The thing that made my button making much easier, is having a good graphics program. I use Paint Shop Pro 7... I made a template that prints out to the exact size i need. That way, i can crop the photos to size before i print and waste ink and paper.

A button maker is seriously wonderful. you've made a good decision! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.
AladdinStardust

Juggalo rida bitch!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004 08:21:06 PM »

Once they adverstised a button maker and it looked like it was for kids. And since I don't plan to make a great deal of pins I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order one?

if your lookig for something less expensive i just got a button maker from acmoore for only about 20 dollars called badge factory.  it doesnt look like it would work good, but the only problem is that the way the backs are, they tend to fall off of things easily but i think normal button parts from badge a minit would work in this.  if you dont have a craft store that carries them near you you can order it here http://www.growingtreetoys.com/product/3881
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fake a Full Eyebrow
Tricks That Prevent Your Hair Color from Fading
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Growing Out Your Brows
Beauty Expert Shares Surprising Summer Factors That Can Cause Wrinkles
Could Potato Skins Get Rid of Your Gray Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...