A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Strap Question ...  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dee53
« on: May 10, 2006 07:58:10 AM »

OK .. I've read through all the tutorials, but I'm still having trouble with the straps on the purses I'm doing and HOW I want to do it.   Undecided

I need to make this as easy as possible, cause for one thing ... right now I"m going thru a horrible experience in my life, and my brain is NOT functioning normally ... things don't stick.  So what I'm doing is sewing the straps inside when I sew up the sides ... yet they're coming out backwards.  I turned them right side to right side when I sew them, isn't that right?

Guess I need a really easy way to do this ... any help out there?

I'll take a pic of one of the purses later and show you.
Dee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee53
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 09:28:47 AM »

Awwwwwwwwwwww come on guys ... somebody help!!!

Dee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyscrubs
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006 09:39:15 AM »

I would like to help but I dont understand what you are trying to say You cant sew th estraps individually or you cant sew them correctly to the purse??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006 11:16:55 AM »

without seeing what the problem is (and I'm having problems with your description) I can't really give you any constructive help.

It's like trying to help someone throw a baseball when the description of the problem is "the ball goes left", if we can't *see* why "the ball goes left"(or the strap is backwards) we really can't help.

sorry.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Mrs Rabbit
One stitch at a time!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 03:32:25 PM »

I'm not sure whether the problem is when you are putting the straps on or making the straps.   I make straps 2 ways.  One is right sides together, stitch, then turn inside out.  The other way is to cut it 4 times the width you desire, then iron in half, then iron the raw edges matching the centre line,then fold in half again.  Topstitch both sides.  This gives you a strap 4 x fabric, very firm and looks good. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee53
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006 04:43:20 AM »

OK ... gonna show you what I mean:    Grin

http://home.twcny.rr.com/kittykatz/

This is one purse I made and used ribbon for the handle (strap).  I plan on using either cut felt or ribbon, or pearls for the straps, so no sewing is needed ... what I need help with is how to ATTACH the handles to the purse.

For this one I used 'brads', pushed them through from the outside, through the ribbon on the inside and opened it up to fasten.  That works out ok, but I'd like to learn another way, where I could just sew them into the purse along with everything else, to make it easier and less steps.

Hope that explains it better.  Smiley

Hugs,
Dee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006 12:58:01 PM »

If I understand you correctly, in the picture you posted, the polka dots should be on the outside of the straps, right?

If that's the case, then you really didn't put them "right sides together".  You put the right side of the fabric to the back side of the strap.

When you sew the straps on, they should be hanging upside down(fabric is right-side up), like this drawing (please ignore the fact that these are the biggest straps in the world!  It's the best I could do so quickly).  In this drawing the pink is the right side of your fabric, and the yellow is the WRONG side of your strap.  You can't see the right side of the straps since it's against the fabric.   Sew across the dotted line at the top of the strap.  Then, when you pull the strap up so it's right-side-up, the right side will be out (and the seam hidden inside your lining).

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006 12:59:35 PM by brubendall » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bobbie Thomas Joins Marlo Thomas
Choosing the Right Fit for Your Body
How to Rock the Logomania Trend
Get a Casual Malibu Look on a Budget
Behind the Scenes of Laura’s Prom Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...