A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hooray for Secularism Swap Gallery!  (Read 4207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

octagonfudge
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006 02:44:25 PM »

I am so glad it arrived safe and sound and that you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jumped on the bandwagon- www.octagonfudge.bl ogspot.com
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006 06:04:59 PM »

This thread has been quiet for a while so I guess I'll post what I sent to slowfade.

Here's the holy ghost:

I was raised catholic and I never quite "got" the whole trinity thing. It wasn't until much later that I understood that there was nothing to get. The holy ghost well, that's even more confusing. I eventually learned to nod my head and repeat in sunday school pretending that I understood what they were talking about but my mental image has always been of a white pac man ghost with a halo above his head.
 I really hope he's holding up. I used the yarn that I did because it drapes well and has a cool shine but it and fabric glue just don't seem to get along.

A polymer clay Flying Spaghetti monster.:

Originally he was going to be all glow in the dark except for the meatballs because plastic glow in the dark statues of saints amuse me to no end but then I decided to use a flexible clay to give a more lifelike noodley feel to it and just have the eyes glow in the dark but ended up cooking it for just a few minutes too long so it didn't end up that noodley after all, Sorry

and the pillow:

I was wondering what my third project would be when I turned on the tv and saw a snippet about muslim riots because of cartoons depicting muhammed being printed in a danish newspaper, the most scandalous one being of muhammed wearing a bomb for a turban and something inside me said "hey why not chart that out and stick it on a pillow?" I'm not against islam any more than I am any other religion but all of the violence over a bunch of cartoons is ridiculous and I felt that it fit into the secularism theme. I do think that the cartoons are extremely insulting but I also don't really think that the right course of action is to go on violent rampages. The idea of the pillow wasn't to say that the cartoon was okay but that in a free society it deserves to be printed uncensored nomatter what your opinion is.

The wikipedia article on it is pretty decent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

I must admit that I'm a little nervous posting the pillow to the gallery because well, fatwas do seem like a dime a dozen nowadays

and since a throw pillow with a controversial cartoon of muhammed crocheted onto it might not match the decor too well, I made the back a simple stripe:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012 03:17:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006 07:41:38 PM »

That pillow's grand. I also enjoy the spaghetti monster
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Hyena
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006 08:32:54 PM »

ohh Boy! I love you! (don't repeat to your girlfriend!) That holy ghost is such a cutie! (we say Holy Spirit - saint esprit- in french which I think make more sense, and we represent it with a dove).
Anyhow it is grant! Love the pillow as well! Dang you are good.
About the glowing in the dark saint, or Virgin Mary, it has always amazed me as well. Especially the one with holy water in it. I was always thinking it was a king of ugly substance in it, like the blob or something, and it's why it was glowing so weirdly at night! LOL
We should do a ghost swap now!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosali

English Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006 04:36:59 PM »

I am in total awe of that pillow. Cool and topical!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bobolink
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Note the knitting pirate chalk bag!

I hate it when rocks eat my head

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006 10:58:01 AM »

Guys!
Teddybearbones pointed out to me that you guys never got feedback for this swap. I asked your organizer a couple of times to do it, but she hasn't- so I looked through the gallery and gave you all feedback myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Bobolink
Sorry I've been absent! Can't wait to chill with you all again Smiley
Anyone want to swap alphabet ATCs?
Rain
Teal Turtle Queen

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006 12:55:23 PM »

Thanks! [:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Step Backward Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Subselection Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the Swatches Palette in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Type Tool in Illustrator CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...