A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black Tulle Skirt..& Question  (Read 2266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dottydot
« on: May 10, 2006 12:20:02 AM »

hiya...i made this tiered skirt from black tulle and used a black stretchy material underneath.
only thing is the outerlayer seems to be obviously seperated from the underlayer at the bottom half - it seems to be because the tulle tier is flared and stiffer than the underlayer, which is quite fluid and cut like a tube (equal circumfererance at top & bottom).

do you think it looks weird? I think it does, a little although the look is somewhat growing on me.  I'm thinking of making the underlayer more flared, but i'm not sure if it will work because the fabric is so soft, it might not hold its shape.  Maybe another slightly stiffer fabric may work. Anyone have any ideas so that i can improve on the next one i make? Or perhaps it just needs some ironing?!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006 12:22:07 AM by dottydot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobik
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 12:36:42 AM »

I have no advice, seeing as I am extremely new and unknowledgeable about the whole sewing garments thing.  But... I can see what you mean about it looking weird, but I don't think it looks bad at all.  I see people at my school wearing much weirder looking and mismatching things every day.  And I'm sure they don't have any excuse like, 'But I made it myself!' or 'My sewing machine was acting up' or 'The fabric was too soft to flare right!'  So no worries Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006 12:50:10 AM »

CUTE!

To make the underskirt flare out a bit more, you could try to 'slit' it on both sides and put in a more sturdy/stiff fabric in the slits? Two simple 'triangles' would probably suffice...

I'd go with some more tulle - because A) it's simple and matches the overlayer (duh), B) you probably already have some left from this project and don't have to buy more, C) it's cheap, D) you don't have to hem it - just simply cut it to fit after you've sewn it into place, and finally E) TULLE ROCKS! Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funky_monkey86
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006 05:05:33 AM »

I like how it flares and everything. It's unique but still classy.
I would wear that out anyday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 kiki
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006 05:21:39 AM »

I think it's neat whether or not it was what you were going for. I wouldn't mess with it if it were me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuckyLally
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006 04:41:18 PM »

yea when one reads TULLE SKIRT you expect stiffer fabric and more flare but I like what you have done with this whether you intended to or not. I really enjoy how the under layer is almost like a pencil skirt, with the tulle as an accent

I think you should keep it as is
wear it with a white oxford, black heels, and a glass of red wine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006 04:48:16 PM »

Yeah, what LuckyLally said. It's classy. Hell, give it a spiffy name and maybe a tute (though I can kinda see how it's put together from the picture) and you might get people trying it themselves. I love tulle AND pencil skirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jershyLA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006 04:49:26 PM »

i think the skirt looks great. to get a more puff effett i would tier the uderskirt then serge the last row to make waves. it gives the skirt a sort of party flavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006 10:35:49 AM »

Because I'm lame and boring, i would remake the underskirt portion with some basic cotton with the same tiered concept at the tulle part. But I'm dull.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
arrhythmia
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006 11:27:17 AM »

Might be pretty to have something shimmery and moving between the two layers, like 1" ribbons spaced about 1" apart and just loose inside there and rippling. I am seeing silver or coppery brown satiny ribbons, but you might prefer black or white or black/white polkadots. I'm thinking the ribbon, movement would take the emphasis away from the different skirt lines and add an extra embellishment/oomph kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Way to Remove Makeup
Beauty Mark - Personalized Nail Art
The Monday Makeover - Bronze Eyes Tutorial
Beauty Mark - How to Wear Orange Lipstick
Beauty Mark - Applying Glitter Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...