A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spray Paint + Tshirt = FUN  (Read 5235 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eb

I'm 19 and I'm catching myself living in the past

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2004 11:09:26 AM »

This is my first post of something I've done.  I made this using clear packing tape as a stencil for the stripes and the curly stencil I drew and cut out with an exacto knife - it was inspired by the little curlies on this guy's website: http://www.infectkids.com I made it so I could flip it over and the two painted areas connect to look like one stencil.  Like a mirror image I guess.  Does that make sense?  And I got the shirt from target

Just a note of warning: I used the 94 cent spray paint from wal mart and the gold and red were fine, but I had some problems with the silver.  1) the red didn't go over it very well, but it's ok, I like the way it turned out anyway and 2) I didn't wash it before wearing and the silver started flaking off all over me = not nice.  So, I washed it in the sink and strange colors came out - so I don't know if it was the shirt that was giving off color too or just the paint, but a considerable amount of the silver did come off.  But it doesn't rub off on me anymore.  I'm considering going back over it with a brayer and silver fabric paint.

front:
http://erica.dougie.net/tee/teefront.jpg

back:
http://erica.dougie.net/tee/teeback.jpg
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010 02:09:29 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i don't believe in beautiful people but i don't believe in me.  i wonder what it's like to be in between.
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004 01:30:07 PM »

its cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
balahuniankid

shakin' like a revolution

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004 01:50:23 PM »

that's really cute. Wink

does the spray paint hold up in the wash?
and does the spray paint smell go away after awhile?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phunkpunk
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004 05:28:40 AM »

yeah thats quality but how did you het the lines so straight, did you use normal tape?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violet_knife
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004 07:20:21 AM »

Just a note of warning: I used the 94 cent spray paint from wal mart and the gold and red were fine, but I had some problems with the silver.  1) the red didn't go over it very well, but it's ok, I like the way it turned out anyway and 2) I didn't wash it before wearing and the silver started flaking off all over me = not nice.  So, I washed it in the sink and strange colors came out - so I don't know if it was the shirt that was giving off color too or just the paint, but a considerable amount of the silver did come off.  But it doesn't rub off on me anymore.  I'm considering going back over it with a brayer and silver fabric paint.

Silver spray paint generally flakes, regardless of quality. The problem is it uses little bits of flaky silver stuff in it to make it shiny. It also usually will oxidize if you don't seal it, so I'd suspect it's probably not ideal for clothing projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004 09:43:05 PM »

Thanks!

To answer the questions:

No, the paint doesn't really hold up in the wash - I've hand washed it twice now and I'm still getting a weird bluish rinse which I'm thinking is due to the silver paint for the reasons mentioned.  However, I have slight confidence that different colors would produce a better result.

I didn't really notice the spray paint smell at all - not even before I washed it for the first time.  I don't know, maybe that's just me.

The lines were made with regular clear packing tape.  I was kinda sloppy and ended them before the side of the shirt so you can see where the tape ends in some spots. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i don't believe in beautiful people but i don't believe in me.  i wonder what it's like to be in between.
gillian_houghton
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004 08:01:37 PM »

well, despite the problems (and health concerns?) related to the silver paint chipping off, i think your shirts look awesome  Smiley

i wonder if there's a way to spray regular fabric paint (does it come in aerosol cans?), so that you have the look of spray paint without all the trouble...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jen Cosmo
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004 09:54:22 PM »

hey!! i was just talking to one of my cousin's friends and she informed me that fabric paint does come in the aerosol cans! wee. i can't wait to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i've got a samurai sword meant for you, polar bear.
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004 08:50:47 AM »

the other thing that happens with spraypaint is that it will actually dissolve any acrylic or other plastic-derived fibers.  that may be another little piece of the weird colors puzzle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004 11:12:30 AM »

Aha! There is such a thing as spray fabric paint... I found it here: http://www.sunshinejoy.com/default.asp?Category=14&Page=1  They have a pleathora of colors, including silver (make sure you see the second page).  Now I'm wondering if they have it at walmart...or maybe crafts & stuff?

My shirt is 100% cotton, so it's safe. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004 12:11:23 AM »

cool! I've thought about trying that...good to know fabric paint does come in cans also.
I have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004 08:31:23 AM »

i just ordered three cans of that fabric paint in black, purple, and red.  i'll get back on how well the stuff works when i receive.  one thing though, when i called to ask if they accepted paypal they were extremely nice and they have a satisfaction guarantee, and they swear their silver will not flake. i'm excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanola2789

Trampobics, it's the new craze :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004 08:39:00 AM »

Whoohoo that's awesome!  So cute, and I love the idea of fabric paint in cans... so much easier than the lil bottle squirty stuff. Good job  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be uber creative, the world will love you.
ldpaulson
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004 07:11:43 PM »

Couple of ideas to set the paint ...

Heat -- be a ironin' maiden, use a clean cloth on the top of the work, sort of like a transfer; and

White vinegar -- put about a half cup in the sink with cool water plus your garment and it sets the dye. I use it to wash red items in particular. Those tend to bleed a lot of dye when you first wash them.

ldp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
XsilentXriotX
don't worry too much, it only hurts when i breath...

i dress her up, she knocks me down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004 05:08:31 PM »

that's really cute. Wink

does the spray paint hold up in the wash?
and does the spray paint smell go away after awhile?

i've done spray paint stencils alot, it holds up great in the wash w/ me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la plus grande chose que vous apprendrez jamais est juste pour aimer et tre a aim dans le retour  <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Care for Leather and Suede
Chris Brown Adds A Shirt With Him And Rihanna To Clothing Line
Victoria Beckham Vs Nicole Richie: Who Wore Balenciaga Sweater Best?
Hot Hair Trends For This Holiday Season
How to Choose White Clothing for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...