A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
871 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hockey quilt!  (Read 4367 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2006 06:12:20 PM »

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but since it's hockey playoff time, now seems like a perfect opportunity. I made this quilt for my boyfriend a couple of years ago -- he's a huge hockey fan. I got the fabric for the center squares (all goalie masks for NHL teams) off of ebay and I think it might have been a sheet. Hard to say exactly when it's from, as some of these teams no longer exist and some have different logos now, but it's within the last 10 years.

After I made each of the blocks to match each team's colors, I put them together and realized it was pretty darned garish. But my boyfriend doesn't care -- it's hockey!

Here's a picture of the entire quilt:

I did a little something special to each of the blocks and here are a couple of detailed shots. Where I could, I used a theme-y fabric (like a flame-y looking fabric for the Flames or water-y looking for the Whalers). Otherwise, I just took the colors and did little things like patches or cut-outs. Just something to make it a little more interesting (and, possibly, garish).

For the Stars, I used a star fabric for the outer border. Also, that little green patch on the inner border has stars (although it's hard to see):

For the St. Louis Blues, I got some musical notes that I pieced into the inner border:

These are just a couple of closeups that show zero allegiance to either team. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
BiscottiTogs

Life's too short for cheap chocolate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006 06:18:07 PM »

Oh my goodness... what a huge amount of thought you put into this.  Hope he's a keeper!

This quilt reminds me of the mask exhibits at the Hockey Hall of Fame museum.  Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006 06:34:24 PM »

Hope he's a keeper!

Oh, he's definitely a keeper! And I think I cemented my status as a "keeper" when I gave him this quilt! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006 09:28:35 PM »

That's fantastic!  The extra work you put in to it is amazing.

My two teenage sons are hockey fanatics (EDMONTON RULES!!) and they would love this quilt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

anna-begins

Think Different

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 06:46:08 PM »

That is too cool!  I love hockey and I love quilts!  You did such a great job!  Do you have a close-up of the Red Wings square?   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...we all shine on...  ~John Lennon
onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006 10:27:09 PM »

Your wish is my command! I didn't really do anything "Wings" related for this block... I tried to make this quilt entirely from my stash, and, well... I didn't have anything wing-y around.

The only "treatment" this block got is barely visible in this photo... there's a small square of a different fabric along the bottom of the outer border. This is kind of dorky, but here goes: the fabric on that square is hearts. I chose that because my boyfriend is from Detroit (we both are, but I moved away when I was young) and his friends and family are still back there. So, even though neither of us are really Wings fans (we don't have any specific team that we favor -- we just like hockey), there's always a part of our hearts in Detroit. Awww.

Okay. I told you that was dorky. Sorry if I made anyone sick with that. Whee! I'm sappy!

Oh, but I was a Wings fan "in utero" -- my parents used to go to games when my mom was pregnant with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anna-begins

Think Different

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 05:26:52 AM »

Awww!  Thanks for posting the Red Wings square for me.  We were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs which was such a disappointment after the awesome regular season they had so it was nice to see this.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...we all shine on...  ~John Lennon
kerrypez77
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006 02:40:46 PM »

Great job! I'm in love with it. I can't believe the thought you put into it.

Go Oilers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006 03:16:34 PM »

awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006 03:27:34 PM »

That's really great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Explaining Back and Forward Post Crocheting
Diagram Explanation of Never Ending Square Crochet
Differences Between Steel and Plastic Crochet Hooks
How to Add a 3 Double Crochet Border
Generic Baby Shoe Sole Crochet Diagram
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...