A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorm Room Ideas...  (Read 13317 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004 10:11:36 PM »

I actually wrote out a huge long responce to this yesterday, but then my computer crashed.   Cry  I'll try to keep this helpful but short.

I just wanted to say that I love the wire block things.  they do weigh a ton, but they can be put into many configurations, they fit books well, and yaffa cubes fit in perfectly to work as drawers.  bringing a rubber mallet to pound the connecters in makes putting it together not bad at all.  if you find yourself with a little wall space, I think the best shelves ever are the wooden ones that fold up.  they have two wooden sides that swing out, and shelves that fold down.  they're only about $20 each at Bed Bath and Beyond around dorm move in time, and you can stack one on top of another.  they make the room look a lot nicer than plastic ones.

3-M is great.  along with the hooks, you can use the extra sticky strips (or buy the refill packs) to hang other stuff on the walls.  just put a strip behind what you want hung, leaving a little stuck out at the top so you can pull it off at the end of the year.  also, poster tape and/or blue tack are must haves.

window decorations really cheer the place up.  replacing the curtains really helps.  those sticky clear shapes you can buy to stick on windows are cool.  crayola makes glass markers (only about $4, and you can buy them at Target, Walmart, etc.) that are fantastic for coloring on windows and mirrors, and they wash off easily with water.

wall decorations are great.  posters can usually be picked up on campus, many on sale in the first few days or weeks.  I'm planning to paint a long skinny canvas for over my bed - cheap custom matching art!  also, use stuff that makes you feel at home, pictures and such, and it will make you much happier.  rope lights and christmas lights are good for some soft extra lighting.  floor lamps rock too, since those florecent lights start to get to you after a while.

my advice on rugs:  don't buy the really expensive carpet that you can buy on campus during move in.  it's almost always really poor quality and icky colors.  I really reccomend going to home depot or meijer (or walmart, etc) and getting some of the cheap area rugs they have there.  they'll usually be under $20 instead of over $100, and you can get tons of colors.  they might not be quite as comfy, but they wear like iron.  getting a "heather" type color in a darker color also means that spills won't be seen as easily.

hope I helped some!  I'll add more later if I think of it.

edit:  I think that some of the 3-M command things may hold more than 5 pounds...  they list their max weight on the package, so you can just check them out.  the small-ish honeywell fans that they sell everywhere for $10 are wonderful, at least as good as a box fan, and so much smaller and lighter to store.  plants are cool, especially bamboo, just remember to water them and make sure they can live with little or no natural light.  make sure to have a nice throw since dorms are known for being too cold (or too hot).  I think that folding chairs are much better then floor pillows since they fold up nicely and can be tucked in a corner, and floor pillows take tons of room to store.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004 10:23:16 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ophelia68977
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004 06:44:13 PM »

thanks for all the cool tips, kategirl. by the way, i made some floor mats for my dorm. Theyre a square yard each, and I used these supertriplesoft pajama type fabric that i got at walmart for a dollar a yard.  I quilted them with two layers of quilt batting. Theyre easy to roll up (im going to attach ribbons to the end to tie them when rolled, sleeping bag style.) And theyre good to just toss on the floor to lay on to study or do situps, or give multiple guests places to lounge. (i made three of them).  Also, I made some cool quilts for my bed. I figure lots of homemad stuff will make the place cozy, right? One of the quilts is huge, and its made from that same pajama fabric. And the other quilt is an ecclectic looking quilt from all my funky fabric scraps I had. I'm also working on a big crocheted blanket. I'm going to have a lot of blankets, but who cares. Oh I;m so excited to move in!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: "they're only animals" . 
-Theodor Adorno
ysolda
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004 02:56:32 AM »

i stuck hooks all over my room like those 3m things, i got them from woolworths and they're their own brand- couldnt get them off tho so be warned. They haven't charged me for it tho - the ones that i did get off took the paint off. Hmm... They have charged me for new carpet tho - I left tubes of acrylic on it and stood on them so i guess that was fair enough. Fairy lights and throw type things and lots of big cushions help lots.
Teehee my room was 7 by10 feet. Now I'm moving into a flat where my room is 21 by 17, i got space. *does happy dance*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
ophelia68977
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004 10:49:00 AM »

your paint story reminded me.....i like to draw with pastels, but they get EVERYWHERE. Anyone know a good way to remove my *inevitable* pastel smears from a carpet? I don't want the college charging me for that! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: "they're only animals" . 
-Theodor Adorno
tonberryqueen
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004 10:51:51 AM »

your paint story reminded me.....i like to draw with pastels, but they get EVERYWHERE. Anyone know a good way to remove my *inevitable* pastel smears from a carpet? I don't want the college charging me for that! Smiley

I think your best bet for that is to just get a lot of newspaper to cover that section of the floor, and clean up carefully when you're done. I've never managed to get pastels out of any sort of fabric or upholstery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ophelia68977
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004 06:50:32 PM »

and does anyone have any floor ideas? my dorm floor is just going to be big cold tiles (like supermarket floors). All the carpeting at home depot or wal mart that are affordable are well, not soft. theyre like hard, office type carpeting. im going to look for remnants of nice carpeting at the market, but if i cant find anything there, does anyone have any good ideas? i want something relatively soft to sit on, but i dont want to spend a lot, because its just a dorm. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Theodor Adorno
SheRa
Curiosity often leads to trouble.

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004 07:58:29 PM »

i bought a couple bath mats - you know the small fluffy ones - and strategically placed them in 3 spots around my dorm furniture.  that way if i wanted to sit on the floor it was at least comfy.  they're pretty cheap too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ophelia68977
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004 12:50:16 PM »

thats a good idea. what i figured out im doing is this: i bought a large inexpensive not-as-soft carpet from home depot, and i have two plushy throw rugs that im going to put in the blank spots where one would walk or sit. (one i got from my grandma, and one i got from a second hand store). i wanted to make sure all of the floor was covered, because when youre at your desk and youre barefoot, cold tiles feel so much like.....school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Theodor Adorno
SheRa
Curiosity often leads to trouble.

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004 03:51:04 PM »

yeah, plus they collect dust bunnies like crazy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004 11:44:06 AM »

Okay, so I just finished making a closet organizer for my dorm room.  I hate taking up drawer space with little things that I never fold or put away neatly - things like underwear, bras, socks, stockings - so I decided to make this closet organizer with big pockets for that stuff.  I chose the most girly fabric I could find which is ironic because I am in no way a "girly" girl.  I don't own a single item of makeup.  Anyway, the organizer was pretty straight forward.  The only tricky part is making the pockets wider than the base and then running a line of basting (long stitches) along the bottom.  Leave long threads on the end.  Then pull one of the threads so that the fabric scrunches up.  Space the gathers along the pocket evenly until the bottom of the pocket is the same width as the organizer base, then pin the pocket on and sew.  This makes the pockets bellow out some, so they are not flat and will fit more stuff.  I put velcro on the pockets to keep the closed too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 3 Best Beauty Product Organizers
The Easiest Way to Burn 600 Calories
Wine Lip Stain and Feathered Eyebrows at Tadashi Shoji FW 2014
How to Do Natural Date Night Makeup
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...