A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,660
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bendy Fairies Tutorial  (Read 23391 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2003 06:12:53 PM »

I've been addicted to making these little bendy fairies. (A friend showed me how to make them and I think she got the instructions on-line somewhere, but I'm not sure where.)

1. Take a pipe cleaner and bend it in half.
2 & 3. Pinch the top of the bend and fold up the two ends (leaving a little nub where you were holding it.)
4. Bend the two ends down (these will be the arms.)
5. Fold those ends back in towards the center.
6. Follow steps 3 & 4 for the remaining ends forming legs.
7. Tightly wrap 6-strand embroidery floss around the bend on the leg (about 1/4 inch on either side of the bend.
8. Fold the leg up and continue wrapping the floss around and up the leg. (It takes a bit of practice to get the floss wrapped tightly and evenly so that none of the pipe cleaner fuzz pokes through.)
9 & 10. Follow steps 7 & 8 for the two arms and other leg.
11. Wrap the floss around the tops of the legs and base of the arms to form a body.
12. Glue a 10mm bead to the top of the body pushing the small part you pinched in step 2 into the hole of the bead.

Then you can add the hair and clothes! I made clothes for them out of pieces of ribbon or silk flowers and added hair from more embroidery floss.

I made a TON of these little dolls. You can see them here:
http://www.geocities.com/annareillyart/AR_Fairy_Dolls.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005 07:42:33 PM by AnnaReilly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003 07:27:41 PM »

Gosh, that brings back memories. I used to make something like that with felt. I got the idea out of a Hearth Song catalog back in the day. *grin* Yours are TONS cuter, though. *giggle* I LOVE the winter fairies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkSongFlower
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003 12:19:30 AM »

Those are really cute! They remind me of Salley Mavor's little faery dolls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtle
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003 01:31:07 PM »

My parents ran into Salley at a Solstice party last week and got a tour of her studio.  My dad was so impressed that he bought my stepmother one of the new big fairies as a gift.  They really are absolutely adorable, and I don't usually like that frufru sort of stuff.

What's nice is that Salley's just come out with a how-to book with a bunch of projects in it, not all fairies.  Her website is at: http://www.weefolkstudio.com/

-Turtle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004 03:51:20 PM »

These are too cute!

They remind of the "Halfpenny" dolls I used to love as a child. They had little cloth heads with thread for hair, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
brokenclown

Lonely lil' dolly with nothing but her creativity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004 11:45:24 AM »

Those are adorable. I made little tiny dollies out of skewers and embroidery floss. Their voodoo dollies. I also thread some seed beads to hang off the arms and stuff. I gave them a little face with paint. Their cute, and so mystical. They come out different everytime, all you have to do is change the colours and the face and the feathers and beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ebony
ilovepaper
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004 12:21:26 PM »

Thanks for bumping this back up, I would have never seen it. I need to make a bunch of inexpensive items for a Christmas Fair at my kid's school and the holly leaf fairies would be a perfect idea. They are all adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...