A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,391
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner's guide to Inkjet Iron-On Transfers  (Read 28152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MommaGreenBean

Life, laugh, love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007 09:35:22 AM »

you're going to make me get off my butt?  LOL

Black & Decker (a brand that usually sucks IMO!) 'The Classic'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination

dude... just like... craft

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007 04:32:15 AM »

do you have any advice to getting the word out that you are selling t-shirts? are there any specific places to go?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I have a PHD in the painfully obvious.*
Procrastination

dude... just like... craft

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2007 05:57:25 PM »

When You say Dark/light transfers do you mean dark as in dark t-shirt or dark transfer paper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I have a PHD in the painfully obvious.*
cinderblock
astral adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007 04:58:02 PM »

i am and iron on junkie, and as a matter of fact i am wearing one of my creations right now but i just want to know the difference between inkjet iron ons and regular iron ons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
The 3rd Eye
"they sell us love as divinity, but it's only a social obsenity, underneath they're all lovable."
lhhgbh

Over 180 Different Countries

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007 09:14:58 PM »

Sorry for the long absence. Been busy with business. Glad my post could help out some in need. Let me see if I can answer some of the questions I have missed and maybe give some more tips I have since learned.

The difference between regular iron-ons and inkjet iron-ons (if I am understanding this question correctly) is this: you can buy patches or premade irons ons and those apply with a type of glue that when heated adheres to the surface of the shirt. Inkjet iron-ons are a special paper that you print from your inkjet printer and through heat make the ink stick to the shirt allowing you to print most anything from pictures to your own designs.

As for the brand of paper to use, if you find paper at a store such as Walmart, Michaels, or even from trade shows, odds are it will not last. Avery is the exception here which can be purchased at Walmart or Office Supply stores, but it is expensive and should only be used if you are making 5-10 shirts.

Irons I really have no say over which irons would work best as I only use a heat press. If this is something you want to consider doing fulltime then go out and buy the cheapest press you can find, the Hobbylite. I have done over 10,000 shirts on mine and only just got the surface refinished using a friend in a metal shop that used a power grinder/polisher on it.

For enlarging pictures there is a great program out there that is a plug-in for photoshop called genuine fractals. How you obtain this program is entirely up to you. It works wonders on photos, but be warned that you need to have at least a photo of about 1x1inch in order to enlarge it to 8x10 and it look passable. You might have to do some slight touch-ups on it such as filling in solid colors by matching, but it works great.

Blank shirts can be found at Michaels usually for $2 each. Walgreens has also been selling cheap shirts for $2 each. i especially like them because they have some Gildan shirts which is what I use.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help end wars and hunger, sport a funny T-Shirt!
http://www.such-a-tees.com
Over 180 Different Countries To Show Off Your Pride!!
http://www.flagpridet-shirts.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007 08:15:10 PM »

As for the brand of paper to use, if you find paper at a store such as Walmart, Michaels, or even from trade shows, odds are it will not last. Avery is the exception here which can be purchased at Walmart or Office Supply stores, but it is expensive and should only be used if you are making 5-10 shirts.
I use avery and they are the best I've found. I've had the package for a long time and just can't see buying more (in any brand) till I use it.
Just thought I'd throw a testimonial in:
I have used the lower quality stuff and it will last longer if you trim your picture or text out, but tends to crack and fade each wash and sticks together if it gets warm. Which will rip or tear your picture when you remove it from the dryer and sometimes washer.
Go with the nicer stuff people trust me! It's so worth the money! I can't remember how long I've had my avery package, but if you are doing small numbers of shirts like me it's just fine to get. Mine cost 5.00-ish and had 12 sheets in it. It has lasted at least four years but I don't sell shirts or anything like that. I just like to be able to make some for swaps. Which I have done:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/smor7/IMG_1596.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/smor7/IMG_1591.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/MrsHallsCrafts/swappackage3.jpg
But walmart has changed prices since then so I have no idea what the going rate is.

Blank shirts can be found at Michaels usually for $2 each. Walgreens has also been selling cheap shirts for $2 each. i especially like them because they have some Gildan shirts which is what I use.
Another place to look is walmart! When stuff goes on sale it goes on sale! And hobby lobby has shirts for 3.00 which is not bad since they have up to 3x!

[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icemommy
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007 12:34:25 AM »

Too hot a setting also doesn't work. My first iron on went great, the second got burned brown and the red ink from the lines on the cover sheet also bled through. Sucks on a white shirt Sad
I hope laundry fixes that somewhat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2007 03:01:09 AM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have been wanting to get into this for a while now. But it seemed horribly daunting and expensive! I love the idea that I can custom make my own t shirts. I WILL be doing this and soon. Thanks for taking hte time to write down all the things anyone would need to know to get started. You're awesome!!!!!

brooke Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
eyeseefaeries
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008 09:26:40 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone tried Iron-ons on eco-friendly fabrics? Like bamboo, hemp, soy fiber, or modal?

Cuz I know on the front page it says for cotton or polyblends. 

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just really inexperienced. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008 12:46:42 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone tried Iron-ons on eco-friendly fabrics? Like bamboo, hemp, soy fiber, or modal?

Cuz I know on the front page it says for cotton or polyblends. 

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just really inexperienced. :]
It won't be a good idea on a poly/poly blend because poly is melt-able and the iron has to be HOT when you use iron on's.
BAmboo or hemp might work. I'd test it and see if I had the money. It's a natural fiber so it would be interesting to find out.
Soy I'm not sure of. I've never really messed with soy fibers or fabrics.
If I were testing it, I'd prep the shirt with washing and drying, then use a small iron on somewhere where if it messed up it wasn't a big deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
In The Style Of: Rachel McAdams
Dressing for Two: Three Summer Dresses For Pregnancy
Sneak Peak: First Piece From the H&M X Balmain Collab!
Jessica Simpson Is Launching an Activewear Line!
Go Back to School Dressed Hot AF
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Donut Cupcakes
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Cake Stands
February 3, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...