A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,407
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make DIY slip covers. Anyone know?  (Read 3736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlcitizen

Llama's taste good with milk.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2006 12:11:05 PM »

Hey all- I got a great deal on a semi-decent looking couch but it doesn't match any of my stuff.  I want to make my own slip covers and for them to be as easy as possible to make! - I don't really have a sewing machine at my disposal.  Is there anyway to just buy some fabric and just throw it over or something? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006 12:18:06 PM »

I have "made" slip covers with a sheet before just by buying a sheet big enough to cover the entire couch then neatly tucking it in all around.  You know in the arms and under the cushions and stuff. Now in that case the couch was against the wall and the sheet did not cover the back so it was OK that the ugly dirty back of the couch was not covered.  If it was going to show I just would have bought two or three sheets. 

If you want it to work REALLY well and you find a deal on sheets you should get three sheets.  Take the cushions off of the couch and put down the first two sheets to cover the front, sides and back.  Then put the cushions back on and cover them with a third sheet.

Instead of sheets you could use fabric and just "hem" the edges with fuseable interfacing, the kind you just need an iron for. Sheets are just easy and you can find them cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlcitizen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006 12:59:42 PM »

wow! thats such a great idea.  i have enough money for some sheets so i think i will take you up on that.  taking it even further...i wonder if its possible (this is a very cheap couch) to cut up some sheets and hot glue them to the cushions - that way each individual cushion has a cover, and then add a sheet for the front, back and sides. hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006 01:06:32 PM »

Hot glue would probably work. However, the advantage to NOT hot gluing them is you can very easily take the sheets off and wash them.  Which is always a good thing for me. I'm the queen of dropping coffee and food on the couch! But if you are neat, and I know people who are, hot glue would probably work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlcitizen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006 01:37:19 PM »

thats a really good point too. ok, one more question and i'll stop bugging you! Smiley  Do you think I could just pin the sheets down perhaps with those little clothing pins you buy in the sewing aisle?  you know, the ones with the ball on the top?  I'm looking for a way to make sure it is secure but i do like your idea about washing because i have animals...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006 01:45:46 PM »

How about safety pins?  That way the slip cover will stay secure, you can take them off when you need to, but they won't poke people when they sit down either.

Velcro could work if only the stick on Velcro stuck better.  If you are willing to hand sew it on maybe....

Other people might have ideas too.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006 02:41:42 PM »

There are pins made especially for slipcovers.  They look like wee corkscrews with a clear button on the end.  These are more secure than regular dressmaker pins and a little easier to use than safety pins.  You just have to remember where you placed them when you want to go back and remove them to do the washing.

Surefit makes machine washable slipcovers.  If you're in the US, you can buy them from Target and Wal-Mart and online for under $100.  Then again, if you had $100 kicking around, you could buy a MiniUltra sewing machine and make tons of stuff.

OK, back on subject, Googling revealed these pins are called "twist pins."  Here's a picture: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/jump.jsp?itemID=22088&itemType=PRODUCT
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Catch Glasses
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make DIY Shrinky Dink Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...