A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red bobble and Minty fresh, now with Tutorial  (Read 142346 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 08, 2006 07:33:35 AM »

Here's two shrugs I designed myself. Not that they're anything real innovative, but I like them.

The red bobble one was inspired by Stephanie Japel's Forecast..I liked all the bobbles but have a short attention span. I didn't use any pattern, I just did my favorite 3/3 cable with a 3 stitch bobble by each cable twist. It's the standard make a rectangle and sew up the sleeves thing, but I did the sleeves on circulars instead, then switched the straights and put a garter stitch  edging on by knitting 3 at the edges. I used US 11 needles and recycled red bulky acrylic. Unfortunately, it attracts fuzzies magnetically.

The green one was a little trickier. I do have the pattern written down, but as you can see, it was done in three pieces, seamed and the sleeves done on with circulars. I did a seed stitch edging by picking up collar stitches, and cap sleeves by doing some short rows. The coolest thing about this is that it took ONE skein of Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim, with enough left over for a headband! I used US 9 needles. I made a mistake on the fronts somehow, one side has a longer ribbing section than the other. I was in a hurry and not paying attention. I'm happy with it anyway.

Pattern for Minty Fresh:

This is a try-new-techniques pattern for me. You do short rows, increasing, ribbing, seed stitch, dpns and picking up stitches. If you've never done these things before, practise first. They can be a ltitle tricky.

Materials: 400 yards worsted weight cotton.  I used Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim. US 9 straight needles, Smaller straight needles for the bottom ribbing, US 9 29" circular needle for the neck, and 5 dpns for the sleeves. gauge: 10 st = 2.5 inches

This is a 34" bust. I don't really know how to make it bigger off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Right Front: (starting from the top)
Cast on 15 stitches on straight needles. Knit in stockinette stitch for 5". End on a purl row. Next:

1. Knit, increase one stitch at beginning of row.
2. Purl.

Repeat these two rows 4 times. AT THE SAME TIME, when piece is six inches from beginning, cast on 20 stitches on opposite end from increases and continue as before. After all increase rows are done, knit in stockinette for 2", then change to 2/2 ribbing for 4". Change to smaller needles (I used US 3) for 1". Bind off.

Left Front: Reverse all shaping.

Back: Cast on 70, knit in stockinette for 5". Do increase rows 1 and 2 as for fronts on BOTH sides of the back. Continue as for front, but don't cast on those 20 stitches.

Seam up the back and front.

Sleeves: Pick up 72 stitches around armhole on 4 dpns. Knit in stockinette in the round for 1". Change to seed stitch for 3 rows. Here come the short rows:

On top two needles only, knit in seed stitch until you reach the third needle. Knit 1 off the third needle, wrap and turn. Knit back over the top two needles until you get to the first needle. Knit one stich off the first needle, wrap and turn.
Continue knitting back and forth on the top two needles, knitting one more stich before turning each time, until you are knitting three stitches before turning. Bind off.

Pick up stitches around the neck opening on the big circular needle. Try to pick up one stich in each stitch. Knit back and forth in seed stitch until your border is as big as you want it to be.

Buttonholes: With straight needles, pick up stitches on front opening. Work in seed stitch, after two rows, decide where you want the holes to be. When you get to those spots, do a yarn over, ktog where the holes should be.

Sew on buttons, weave in ends and you're done!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 12:17:43 PM by myloveasdeep » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006 08:24:45 AM »

Cute!!! I especially like the use of the bobbles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006 08:47:49 AM »

really, really fab! The cables and bobbles look great, but I have to say I LOVE the green one!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueKarma
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006 11:31:01 AM »

I love them both!  May I ask how much time you invested in each of them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006 12:09:10 PM »

very nice... both are amazing.. i love the color of the second one.. its very springy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedali

I don't know what that means. - Brennan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006 06:34:55 PM »

I love the bobble-y one. I haven't had the courage to tackle bobbles yet, but I hope when I do, I make something that cute Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

http://redheadedali.livejournal.com
Huhwhat?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006 07:46:38 PM »

Those are great! I love the red one, with that cable across the back. I'm not usually a bobble fan, but these bobbles give the cable a life... like a flowering vine or something. It's very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SensiblyTacky
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006 04:50:35 AM »

They are both fantastic! They are really fresh, and it's good to see something new. I commend you for a wonderful job!

Did you say you had the pattern written down for the green one? Could you potentially post it online? I would love a pattern as Im sure many others would as well.

Again, excellent work! These are really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006 06:34:04 AM »

They are both GREAT!! I can't decide which I like better. As always though, I love your stuff. Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006 06:41:18 AM »

Both are pretty, but I especially like the green one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Santa Maria Tri Tip
Mandarin Orange Salad
Cheese Platters and Pairings
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...