A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yet Another Quilt Post: My crazy "million square" quilt  (Read 9295 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlawill
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006 04:13:32 AM »

here's a link to the swap discussion. we're still trying to iron things out. let us know if you have any thoughts or ideas!  Smiley

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16738982.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thecatscaughtinthedryer

better thank your lucky stars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006 09:05:52 PM »

i was looking around on the forum like a month ago and found this quilt and i became obsessed with it! i love it! im making my own now and i ran out of scraps so ive been buying ever cute fabric i can find at the store!also to make it more sentamentle im using old clothes of mine and old barbie dresses and cutting squares out of them! right now i must have over 30 different kinds of fabric in the quilt. i just love the idea of this quilt and ive never made a quilt before so i thought i'd give it a shot. i swear i must have cut over 400 squares yesterday. but im making 2" squares. another thing that im doing different is im cutting the squares and then sewing together a whole row. then sewing another row and connecting the two. it seems to be working for me! and im excited to see how it turns out in the end.
thanx for the idea!
-Lindsey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlawill
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006 02:08:17 AM »

i've been thinking about how it's going to come together in the end. i like the idea of rows. i might try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitty1256
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006 05:03:48 AM »

i've been thinking about how it's going to come together in the end. i like the idea of rows. i might try that.

Rows sound like a good idea.  When I put mine together, I did squares of 4 because I felt like it was a little easier....I just sat down at the sewing machine with tons and tons of fabric squares in front of me, randomly picked 2 of them, then picked 2 of those to make blocks of four, and then layed them all out on the floor.  Maybe I will try making rows this time though!  It is really hard to make sure that no 2 squares of the same kind are right next to each other (although it might be easier with this swap coming up!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlawill
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006 05:25:31 AM »

well you did a great job of making yours look really random! and i love how forgiving this is too! it's gonna be so busy you won't notice if some of the squares are off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirstyd
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006 05:26:03 AM »

Although it's harder to  not get two squares the same next to each other, it's easier to put it together the way Kitty did than to stitch in rows. If you do rows there are two problems that happen: one is that the rows stretch and the other is that every little variation in your seam allowance adds together to make one big variation in row length. Sewing two rows together becomes quite a challenge to get all the seams to match up. The way Kitty did it means that you ahve fewer matching points per seam and need to make fewer adjustments.
Thought I'd chuck my 2 cents in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one.   Dr Suess

my blog http://pompomrouge.wordpress.com/    my website www.pompomrouge.com
kitty1256
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006 05:37:07 AM »

Although it really really doesn't matter if your seams all match up on this quilt.  In fact, I would be highly impressed and tell you to put your quilt into  quilt show to try to win some money if your corners did all match up!  Haha.  Maybe I just got too impatient with all of those tiny little squares and stopped caring about matching up corners.  But the quilt is so busy as it is, no one really notices the corners not matching up perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlawill
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006 06:04:40 AM »

Although it's harder to  not get two squares the same next to each other, it's easier to put it together the way Kitty did than to stitch in rows. If you do rows there are two problems that happen: one is that the rows stretch and the other is that every little variation in your seam allowance adds together to make one big variation in row length. Sewing two rows together becomes quite a challenge to get all the seams to match up. The way Kitty did it means that you ahve fewer matching points per seam and need to make fewer adjustments.
Thought I'd chuck my 2 cents in!

yeah that is true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thecatscaughtinthedryer

better thank your lucky stars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006 09:48:26 AM »

Rows sound like a good idea.  When I put mine together, I did squares of 4 because I felt like it was a little easier....I just sat down at the sewing machine with tons and tons of fabric squares in front of me, randomly picked 2 of them, then picked 2 of those to make blocks of four, and then layed them all out on the floor.  Maybe I will try making rows this time though!  It is really hard to make sure that no 2 squares of the same kind are right next to each other (although it might be easier with this swap coming up!!)

Yeah. making the row has been working really well for me. i just have to keep looking back at the row before it to make sure that no square of the same design is touching.
and to make sure that the seams line up, i've just been pinning the seams right on top of each other. that been working pretty nicely but you know, nothings perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2006 09:37:00 AM »

I just found craftster a few days and have been lurking about.  So many great ideas out there I think my head is going to explode!!  I am also just starting to delve into the world of quilting. I LOVE this quilt.  I am keeping this idea squirreled away after I get a few easier ones under my belt.  Thanks for the inspiration!
-Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Take Pictures with a Changing Sun
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...