A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with pretty, different sized stones?  (Read 1878 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amethyst
« on: May 06, 2006 03:00:13 PM »

I used to collect pretty rocks and stones as a kid. A lot of these were bought in stores, some taken back from trips, etc:

I used to have an amethyst and tiger's eye, too, I'm not sure where they went. Anyway, you can see a variety there. Some fool's gold, a rose quartz, crystal, hematite, a pretty blue one with white veins. At the top is a shiny green one that has a gold tinge to it. The big dark one in the middle, lower part is actually green, and there's a couple of rock cross sections.

I have no idea how to make jewelry, drill holes in rocks, or polish stones. Most of these seem too heavy to make into a pendant, except for the fool's gold. I could make earrings with them, using wire to wrap around.

So, any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theotherkenny
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006 06:00:57 PM »

You said some of them are heavy...

Is it possible to make a bookend or two?

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe all it takes is a scrap piece of wood and some hot glue...or even just hot glue...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kenny
Amethyst
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006 06:14:48 PM »

Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I'd need about 4 pieces of wood, and some glue. Do you know what sort of glue is good for wood and stone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theotherkenny
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006 06:34:25 PM »

Sorry I don't have any specifics, but here's a great site to help you with that:

http://www.thistothat.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kenny
ambervacation
I really can't afford to be here :)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006 03:05:32 PM »

A friend of mine made me a fountain out of the same kinds of rocks.  She used river rocks as the bottom filler rocks and placed the really pretty ones on top.  It's beautiful because the rocks are always wet and the sound is very relaxing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nototouchthearth
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006 10:01:41 AM »

those crystals really hold a lot of energy and healing, positive power in them, i HIGHLY recommend that you google info about crystals and their properities, you may be surprised what you find! they just have to be cleaned and re-energized correctly. i know you can easily find info online about it though. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties"
smeg
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006 10:59:00 PM »

So, any ideas?

Don't know if this is the kind of thing you would go for, but I would put them in either a clear glass bowl, tumbler, or vase (straight cylinders look great), add a cutting from a plant (philodendrons are easy), some water, and voila!  Houseplants that have yet to die on me!
I've done this with monochromed seaglass (one glass has blue seaglass, another has red), and with river rocks as well.  Looks great when you have 2 or 3 different size/shape glasses displayed together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zazu20
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006 03:09:43 AM »

i don't know if this helps, but i had to drill holes in little mineral rocks like your and seashells as i wanted to hang them and make windchimes (the 'slices' work best), and the only way i found was to have my dad (a dentist) drill holes with his tiny thooth drill. so if you have a dentist friend or family member or just you dentist is a nice person he could do that for you, i don't think the instrument will get damaged, he only will have to throw away the drill tip he used for hygienic reasons, but i don't think it's expensive Roll Eyes
anyway also using very thin metallic wire to wrap them in can be interesting as well, for rings or pendants
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtythghts4
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006 08:31:24 AM »

it they aren't HUGE. i think most could be used as pendants, even if they are a bit on the heavy side. i mean, you got your entire neck and back to support a pendant! wrap them in wire and hang them on a cord/chain. very cool/earthy. i'd want one. espcially if it's a cross cut of a rock. those would look nifty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
FairyWings
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006 06:51:33 AM »

I'd Make a dragon ( with clay) to watch over one  and maybe make a few pendants
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thousand-Layer Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How to Make Key Lime Sugar Cookies
How to Make Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Hummingbird Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
How to Make Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...