A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
337 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: summer straw placemat bag + TUTORIAL (img hvy)  (Read 53093 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , placemat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

not2old4glitter
« on: May 05, 2006 03:05:45 PM »

Grin I am powerless over placemats now

update 5/19/06 TUTORIAL ADDED

Straw Placemat Purse Tutorial

Materials:
1 oval straw placemat with cute embroidered flowers already on it
fabric for lining and gusset
2 nylon webbing straps (length is up to you, I use about 26 inch straps so it fits over my shoulder)
zipper for top, at least 14 inches but can be longer
zipper for optional inside pocket- 7 or 9 inch

1. cut out your pieces of fabric. First cut the lining.
Lay placemat down on fabric and cut an oval of fabric about half an inch larger than the placemat, all the way around

2. cutting the gusset pieces
to determine finished gusset length, fold the placemat in half and measure the length of the curved edge. (basically this is half the circumfrence of the placemat.)

my placemat needs a 26 inch gusset.
The gusset sort of looks like a big Q-tip. The "stick" part of the Q-tip is straight and has the zipper in it, and the
"cotton balls" on both ends are wider and rounded.
Since I am using a 14 inch zipper, , the stick will be 14 inches long. Subtract the zipper length from the total finished length to determine how long your end pieces will be
total length of gusset- zipper length= length of both end pieces
26-14=12
so my end pieces will be 6 inches long in the finished gusset
14+6+6=26
add an inch of seam allowance to each piece
so my cut pieces are
the "stick"- 2 pieces 15" x 3"
the "cotton balls"- cut 4 pieces 7" x 4.5", and cut into rounded shape on one end

this is how the pieces will fit together

3. attaching the lining to the placemat
I added an optional zipper pocket to the lining and a patch pocket. Add any pockets before you attach the lining to the placemat. Make sure the pockets do not get within one half an inch of the cut edge, because tis is your hem allowance.
Fold under the edges of the lining half an inch all the way around, and press with an iron.
Put the lining on the placemat, wrong sides together. Sew lining to placemat all the way around the edge.

4. adding the straps.
If you are using nylon webbing straps, melt the ends with a flame to prevent unraveling.
You sew the straps on while the placemat is still flat. First sew one side like this, sew edges of straps to lining side

Then fold placemat in half and mark the strap placement on the other side so that straps match up. Matching the straps is an important step because it looks bad if they don't match up.
Sew the straps on the other side.
5.Fold placemat in half again and mark the center line on both sides with pins

now set the placemat aside and work on the gusset.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
making the zipper for the gusset
I am using a zipper technique like you'd use for the back of a dress. This has flaps of fabric that cover the zipper, but you can use other zipper methods that expose the teeth if you prefer them.

6.place your two "stick" pieces (15"x3") right sides together
7. set your stitch length to a long basting stitch, and sew the 2 pieces together the long way, right down the center of the pieces.
8. fold open the seam and press, as you can see I made no effort to match the pattern, LOL. Oh well!

9. place the zipper face down on the seam with the teeth right above the seam. pin and sew both sides of zipper to fabric, going through both layers. (your stitch length should be back to a shorter normal stitch now)

10. use your seam ripper to rip out your basting seam from step 7. Now the flaps are open and can allow the zipper to open and close. This is what it looks like, I have the flaps sort of spread open here so you can see the zipper but normally they hide the zipper

11. sew one of the 4 end pieces to one end of the "stick". Right sides together

12. flip the "stick" over and sew another of the end pieces to that same end. You are sandwiching the "stick" between 2 end pieces.
13. fold open the seams and press with an iron. Grade the seam allowances if the seam is too bulky. You now have one half of the "Q-tip" done. It will look like this, and that curved end piece is 2 layers

14. repeat steps 11-13 with the other end of the "stick" and the other 2 end pieces.

Your "Q-tip gusset" is finished. I like to overlock the edges all the way around, you can zigzag the edges too. It
just makes the inside a little cleaner and holds the double layers together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
attaching gusset to placemat
I have not found a way to do this entire job with the machine. The straw is not flexible enough to turn the purse inside out, and one it's folded in half and sewn partially together, I can't get the machine into all the corners. If anyone works out a betetr method for attaching the gusset, please let me know! What I do is sew as much as I can by machine and then finish up the tricky parts by hand.

15. mark the center of each of the ends of the gusset with a pin. These will match up with your pins on the placemat from step 5.
16. pin and sew one long edge of the gusset to the placemat edge by machine, with the right side of the gusset seam allowance facing the lining. The seam will be inside the purse and try to stitch close to the edge of the placemat
inside view

outside view

17. Now open the zipper in the gusset. This will allow you to sew part of the other side of the gusset by machine, if

you have a free-arm machine. The smaller your free-arm, the more you can do by machine. You should be able to sew the other side of the "stick" part to the placemat by machine, make sure the straps match up before you sew!

18. This is as much as I can do with the machine

as you can hopefully see, one side is all the way done and the other side is done between the straps but there is unsewn area on the curved part of the gusset.
other side

19. Sew up that last bit on each side by hand, you will be sewing from the outside because it's inpossible to turn the purse inside out. You don't have to sew through the straw part for the hand sewing, just sew the gusset fabric to the lining fabric. Try to make your stitches small and neat since this does show a little bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
there is a finished one below with a different zipper method (exposed teeth)

before- $1.20 straw placemat with cute embroidered flowers:

materials:
placemat
lining and fabric gusset- old paisley cotton from my stash
nylon webbing straps
1 zipper for top

after:

showing top and side with fabric gusset and zipper

insides

this placemat was rather stiff so I decided to add the fabric gusset at the sides so it wouldn't be folded too sharply in half. It also gives more room inside than if I just folded it flat.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 08:42:57 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006 03:07:42 PM »

wow that is wonderful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Mrs Rabbit
One stitch at a time!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 04:16:16 PM »

That is so brilliant - you are a clever pumpkin!  J Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006 05:26:49 PM »

You did a great job on that gusset! Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
CraftMomNancy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006 05:45:36 PM »

Wow, really cool. Did you sew the liner to the placemat or did you use glue? Nice job.
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
not2old4glitter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006 05:58:42 PM »

I sewed it all. I was afraid the sewing machine might not like the straw, but it was pretty easy to sew. It's mostly done by machine but I hand-sewed the gusset to the straw on the lower part of the sides, below where the zipper ends. I couldn't turn it inside out to get the machine in those corners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYcouture
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006 06:58:20 PM »

thats awesome!Is there a lining in it?..tutorial?..i'd like to try that out for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006 08:36:26 PM »

I love all the placemat purses you make!!
Especially this one!!
It's soo cute~
Great job!!
It must have been really hard to sew the gusset, but it looks really great in the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
not2old4glitter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006 09:43:06 PM »

DIYcouture- yep  it is lined. I could try making a tutorial, I'd either have to make another purse so I can take pics during the process or I can try to draw it. The drawings might be easier to follow actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curlyfy
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006 10:08:17 PM »

What a super cool idea!  I absolutely love the fabric you used with it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Clay Pottery
How to Make Ceramic Art
Top 5 High Tech Public Art Masterpieces
Ed Seese Glass Marbles Artist in Woodford Virginia Part 1/2
Ed Seese Glass Marbles Artist in Woodford Virginia Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...