A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Look 6377- The SewAlong!  (Read 11256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2004 08:11:14 AM »

yay, i got moved in to my new house. not everything is unpacked yet, but i am taking a crafting break. i'm getting ready to cut at least the pattern out. but i'm having trouble deciding on size. my hip measurements are always for a larger size than my bust measurements (darn pear shaped body!). the last time i made a dress that flared at the bottom, i tried to be safe and made the size for my hips. this was a big mistake. the dress ended up way too large, not only in the bust but in the waist and hips too! i eneded up taking sooo much in. of course, that was a vogue pattern and not new look. what do you crafty craftsters think? be brave and go with the size for my bust measurement? be safe and go with my hip measurement? or bit the bullet and "multi-size" the pattern? (the difference would be at least one size, possibly 2 sizes.) help, please!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2004 08:19:01 AM »

i'd try and multi size it if you can thats what they do if you have a out fit tailor made.. I have the oppositte problem ample bosom as my grandmoter would say but not a hip to speak of so I am going to have to try and fake it. If not I will look like crazy girl wearing the sack like the last thing i tried to make...... Sad

edited for terrible spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004 03:57:22 PM by hillarybillary » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aleryan

proof that I really am a birdbrain

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2004 03:32:35 PM »

hillarybillary - I'm pearshaped too, but upsidedown.  How about you make one size, I'll make the other then we can cut them in half and switch?  LOL! 

I would love to make this dress but I have to finish about 15 sewing projects right now already.   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2004 03:58:12 PM »

sounds good.... hehe might be a funny looking dree with the differnt fabrics though...... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004 04:44:49 AM »

i think i may just give that a go...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2004 07:54:16 PM »

okay, so i cut my pattern out and successfully (i hope) multi-sized it. i have a really cute bedsheet with a neat pattern on it that i'd like to use for this dress. but i'm a little worried it would be seethrough and then i'd have to line the whole dress. if that's the case, i think i'll just use a different fabric and save this sheet for another project. anybody else have thoughts? made a dress from a sheet before? i know there was the "smurf sheet dress" thread and i looked through that. the author says that she used strategic placement of the chracters to avoid needing a lining. but my sheet is an all-over weave pattern, which leaves maybe 1" squares of the off-white background color in the middle of each "weave." please advise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
MamaNeeley
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2004 05:42:48 AM »

kabili> If you really want to use it and it's slightly see thru, but you don't want to line it why couldn't you just wear a slip with it? My only concern with saving it for something else is if it's too sheer and needs a lining it'll be too sheer and neeed a lining no matter what the project so now, with backup, might be a good time to go for it.
If you aren't sure if it's see through, you can try holding the sheet up to you (before cutting) to check in bright light with just your undergarments; if you see them though the sheet, you'll see them through the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2004 08:56:07 AM »

I have obtained fabric, and what a lovely dress it shall be!  With that last vital buy I've gathered all the components, and will most likely set to work tomorrow.  I'd get to it today but it's my birthday and I've got some family coming up to see me and my apartment.  This means no fabric scraps all over the place until after they leave. 

I'm excited.  I'd post pictures of my fabric choices (now that I've got a computer with a working USB port), but I seem to have misplaced the camera cord.  If it isn't one thing...

How's everyone else coming along?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2004 03:18:10 PM »

Ok, so I just finished this project.  I just got a new machine yesterday (yehaw!!!!) and finished it today.  Since I was so excited to be sewing again, I would say it took me about 5 hours to do (cutting and all).  I really hate sizing, but a 12 worked out ok for me except I had to adjust the top a little.    And the zipper turned out lovely.  Here are some pics (let me know if they are too big):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/penguingrrl/resizebugdressfront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/penguingrrl/resizebugdresssideback.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/penguingrrl/resizebugdressback.jpg

And a close up of the fabric:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/penguingrrl/resizebugfabric.jpg

I used bias tape for the ribbon.  The bug fabric was a $1 a yard.  Mine kind of bows out under the arms because it was too big in this area.  One thing I think is weird:  one of the pattern piece #3 is either 6,10,14.  The other is 8, 12, 14.  Maybe it was a matter of fitting them all on the page or something.  Weird.  I also might go over some of the seams with my serger to finish them. 

Hope this inspires some of you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004 12:15:27 PM »

That looks REALLY funky! Thanks for posting...maybe I'll find a few spare hours to work on mine!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use 4 Point Tracking - Motion 3
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
How to Understand Text Behavior - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...