A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-design Craft room!!  (Read 407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2006 08:09:42 AM »

(I was torn wether to put this in the home decorating forum but it is less home design and more CRAFTY!!)
We just moved into a new house. I have a new sewing/crafting area. So now I need to design it.
Ok, here is what the room looks like:

Yah, I'm in a mostly unfinished basement. Yah, pant and what not will come. and, yah, I'm still unpacking.
I have made some decisions-Along the wall to the left with the window(1st pict) will be a 'craft table'- It will make an L with the current table (with the sewing machines on it.) The right wall (2nd pict)  will have a window cut out of it because my husbands office is on the other side- then we can communicate with each other while we work.  Grin
As you can see I have lots of buckets and drawers of stuff. I have a number of shoebox sized buckets (close to thirty!) that hold craft supplies- thread, ribbon, paints, etc. I was imagining building shelves and putting them on the wall with the window, above the 'craft table'.
I think the back wall will be all fabric storage. Now HERE is where I need some opinions/help.
I currently have lots of fabric stored in those plastic drawers. They rock. Thet are huge. They stand alone. I CAN NO LONGER FIND THEM A_N_Y_W_H_E_R_E. It leaves me with a choice. Keep em or get rid of em? I contemplate putting my fibery things in the drawers and putting all the fabric into buckets (and building shelves for said buckets- I hate stacking buckets- the one you need id ALWAYS at the bottom). Or just get rid of them all together and bucket and shelve everything.
Yes, things stay in buckets. Rather not run the risk of water, rodents, dust, or ofspring getting in my stash...
So kep the drawers or get rid of them?
Or does anyone have any other brilliant ideas?

At some point I will also get an island cutting table. Once the room is organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006 09:27:34 AM »

I can't help you, only commiserate.  I too have some of those drawers that I now cannot find anywhere.  So the stash is in big bins, and, of course, I always want the one on the bottom.

Maybe you should go with the bin/shelf plan, because then you could sort out the stash a bit too, like by color or weight or type of fabric/craft supply.

Great space, though!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 09:28:57 AM »

If you have an ikea in your area they have great storage ideas.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?cattype=sub&topcategoryId=15567&categoryId=15664&parentCats=15567*15661&storeId=3&catalogId=10103&langId=-15

They are in the children's department and considered child's storage, but they are still big bins.

Edit. ok the link doesn't work. so go to ikea.com and search under childrens storage or search for the TROFAST storage bins. the VESTBY chest of drawers may also work -it is corrigated plastic, I used to have one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006 09:36:30 AM by Chimera » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Selena Gomez Look
Four Fun Looks for Fall
FIRST LOOK: Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014
FIRST LOOK: Christian Siriano - NYFW Spring 2014
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...