A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scroll frame  (Read 558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006 03:27:59 PM »

I need to get a scroll frame or something else of a similar nature that would be suitable for working on a crewel-type project.  I dont really have any needlework stores nearby and will probably end up buying one online, so I wanted to get some opinions.  It seems that there are super cheap ones (5-10$) that only show pictures of the box the thing comes in or >50$ ones.  Do you have one, do you like it?  Where did you get it?

It also seems like something you could put together yourself.  Has anybody made one of their own?

(I apologize if this question has been discussed before.  I could not find it in a search.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 05:09:01 PM »

OK, I'm replying to my own thread.

I've been looking online and I think I like the look of these "handi-clamp" frames.  Unfortunately they only sell to wholesale dealers and there are none of these in California.

I wonder if I could order some of these Q-snap components and add to a series of intersecting dowel rods to make my own.  Any thoughts?

http://www.qsnap.com/needlework_frames.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bixby2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 06:11:31 PM »

I tried one of those wooden scroll frames, but I couldn't get my fabric tight enough for my tastes.  It was always slipping and sagging.  I might have just had a defective one.  I like using the round plastic hoops because I can get my fabric tight as a drum head on one of those.  But I'm just weird like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
Chelsea
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006 09:10:35 AM »

I have a small q-snap frame and a larger scroll frame. 

The q-snaps get loose kind of easily, but I think I read on here that you can throw them in the microwave for a couple seconds and the tighten back up (? haven't tried it though).

The scroll frame has been my favorite.  It has a little stick you wrap the end of the fabric on, then you put the stick into a slot in the top bar.  Mine used to get saggy a lot, but I taped the fabric to the stick and it fixed the sagginess.   Except my cats like to step on it when it's sitting on the coffee table, so every once in a while I have to re-tighten it.

Be careful not to tighten it too tight if you get one, I split one of the rods and now have to deal w/ a slightly wobbly frame Sad  I tied a ribbon tightly around it to hold it together because I can't afford another one, I don't think my mom is generous enough to buy me another one   hehe.

I like the plastic hoops the best, but most of my cross stitch projects are too big and I don't want to smash the stitches when I work on another area. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006 11:04:06 AM »

Thanks for the input!  I think I'll probably go ahead and get one of the scroll frames next month (after payday...).
I almost exclusively use circular spring-type hoops right now for all my needlecraft projects, but I plan to make something really big that won't fit and I don't want the stitches to get mashed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plumpie
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006 07:19:27 AM »

I have cross stitched "in the hand" which means without a frame of any kind for years and have never had any trouble with it.  It's very freeing and I recommend it for those of you that are worried about your stitches getting smooshed.  I'm not sure if I can recommend it for crewel though because I've never tried that form of needlework.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bixby2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006 10:01:05 AM »

Are you doing this on Adia only or on cotton too?  I have done it once or twice on Adia, but I am afraid the cotton would bunch up on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
plumpie
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006 01:22:42 PM »

Okay I should clarify that I DONT wash my cross stitch after I finish it, mainly because I use a lot of overdyed threads and linens that would "run" if I did.  I think you would be fine sewing "in the hand" on linen or aida, but I definitely would get a hoop for any cotton embroidery (think iron on transfer like sublime stitching, etc) and make sure that you keep the fabric taut or you will have bunching.  You probably want to taut-hoop anything that is gonna be washed a lot too (tea towels, clothing, pot holders, pillowcases, etc). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Saute
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Chicken Tenders
Sandwich Party: Pork Sandwich
How To Cook BBQ Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...