A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DNA cable & lace tank shell (pattern link!)  (Read 78672 times)
Tags for this thread: dna , cable , lace , tank_top , pattern_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006 01:33:26 PM »

The DNA cable is definitely more unique and innovative than, say, a braided cable. I actually almost emailed the creator and asked permission to use it in my design, but then I figured it wouldn't matter since I'm not selling it as my own.

I think you're probably right. I think the key is that the chart is free to begin with - if you weren't so forthcoming about your source, or tried to sell the pattern as your own, then it might not be ok. Regardless, I can't wait to see the whole pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jejune
Grand Vizier

Arrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006 05:19:14 PM »

I covet.  Oh, how I covet!  That fab sweater manages to be elegant and funny at once.  I think you've achieved knit nirvana.  (Should that be knirvana?)  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittingkninja.com/ - the inevitable blog
ysolda
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006 04:55:49 AM »

Just because a pattern is free doesn't mean it isn't copyrighted. Everything is. Using it in your own design seems ok, but only until you then distribute that design. I would email the designer of the cable and find out if she's ok with you using the cable pattern in your pattern or if she would rather you linked to her pattern and described how to incorporate it into your own. At the end of the day it's her call.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
MostlyHarmless
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006 10:15:57 AM »

That is a really cool tank. I love the lace. I have got to use that DNA cable in something (being the science nerd that I am).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heykids

"...And he turned as green as green grass" - Babel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006 11:38:46 AM »

that is the most amazing lacy camisole/ tank I've ever seen!!! you must be a hiden math geru to come up with a pattern yourself AND all in lace/cables.

yes, i am sucking up.  Grin and I have already bookmarked your post so that if you do so kindly decide *please* to post the pattern, I'll have some amazing lacy goodness to knit!!!

once again, my hats are off to you. yes, the hats. all 5486425 of them  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006 11:52:15 AM »

Just because a pattern is free doesn't mean it isn't copyrighted. Everything is. Using it in your own design seems ok, but only until you then distribute that design. I would email the designer of the cable and find out if she's ok with you using the cable pattern in your pattern or if she would rather you linked to her pattern and described how to incorporate it into your own. At the end of the day it's her call.

Sorry, I didn't meant to say that I didn't think that it wouldn't be subject to copyright. But since the chart is free, readily available on the internet, and the designer incorporating the chart has credited the chart to the source, it's not as clear that referencing the chart in another design is actually a copyright infringement. In any case, it's definitely polite to email the copyright holder and tell her that you've used her chart and are planning to post it here to see how she feels. Sorry if my earlier comments weren't clear on where I stood about talking to the copyright owner first.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 06:17:57 PM by maritimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

designdiva18
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006 12:27:04 PM »

This is beautiful... what yarn and needles were used? I am eagerly awaiting a pattern as well... but at least I could start looking if you could maybe reveal the gauge? I am a teacher and I think that this would be just too amusing to wear to school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Huhwhat?
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006 06:04:51 PM »

OMG this is amazing! I love it! LOVE IT!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Dottie
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006 11:08:39 AM »

I love it! LOVE IT!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamaecyparis
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006 11:11:37 AM »

Wouldn't it not be a copyright infringement if you posted the pattern with a link to the DNA scarf, saying "insert cable found here" (in other words, if you didn't actually reproduce the pattern)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Futuristic, Aerodynamic Eyeliner at the Herve Leger FW 2014 Show
Mom.Me Makeover: Crystal
Mom.Me Makeover: Angela
Best Drugstore Concealers
How to Apply Individual False Eyelashes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...