A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: alteration ideas for a party dress  (Read 2351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bigeyes
« on: December 11, 2003 01:04:52 PM »

I got a great stretch velvet dress for $4 in a thrift store, but the sleeves are slightly too tight.  I'm thinking of replacing them with new ones made from stretch lace, possibly?  It's a fit and flare style mini dress, forest green stretch velvet, with strraight just past the elbow length sleeves.  Do you think a flutterly cap sleeve or a pouffy long sleeve would look odd?  Any ideas appreciated! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
susank
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003 01:15:57 PM »

if the sleeves have a seam on the inside, just rip out those stitches for flutter sleeves.  You can sew down the seam allowance on either side.  You could also go sleeveless.  

It would take a fair amount of alteration to add in an extra strip of fabric to make the current sleeves have a greater circumference, so I wouldn't do that.  Your stretch lace idea sounds cool.

post pics when you're done!

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanut
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003 02:31:22 PM »

I've got some patterns for adding crocheted bits to clothing.  I've done this halter one.

It might make a pretty addition to the dress, so long as you know how to crochet!  The flutter sleeves or stretch lace are also good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
bigeyes
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003 03:14:59 PM »

if the sleeves have a seam on the inside, just rip out those stitches for flutter sleeves.  You can sew down the seam allowance on either side.  You could also go sleeveless.  

It would take a fair amount of alteration to add in an extra strip of fabric to make the current sleeves have a greater circumference, so I wouldn't do that.  Your stretch lace idea sounds cool.

post pics when you're done!

--susan.

I like the idea of flutter sleeves, and then maybe I can find a way to add lace to the dress (I'm thinking cream colored, maybe a 2 layered flutter sleeve, one with the velvet and one with the lace, then add lace to the hem or as an underskirt???  I kicked around the idea of a little stretch lace bolero or shawl and taking the sleeves clear off, so that is still a possibility, though it willl require more work.  Thanks!

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003 03:17:25 PM »

I've got some patterns for adding crocheted bits to clothing.  I've done this halter one.

It might make a pretty addition to the dress, so long as you know how to crochet!  The flutter sleeves or stretch lace are also good ideas!

I don't know if I'll use that for this project, but I'm interested in knowing more...

What all can you add crochet to?

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanut
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003 03:58:08 PM »

You can add crochet to anything!  There are a number of patterns for simple round inserts that can go on the chest of a shirt, at the hem of a skirt, on a pant leg, etc.  There are also a number of patterns for shirt toppers like the picture I posted, with varying styles and sleeve lengths.  There are also a few patterns for adding a crocheted edging to things.  These patterns all come from a book I found in a free bin at a yard sale (woohoo!).  It's called "Shanie Jacobs' Crochet Book".  If you want more details about any of the patterns, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
bigeyes
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003 04:37:12 PM »

I'm curious about the other shirt options, and the jeans thing.

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Caesar Salad with Garlic Bread
How to Throw a Poolside Grilling Party
How to Throw a Clambake
Montreal Fairmount Bagels Bakery
Guide to Bagels Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...