A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help a knob knit a hug...???  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ElvenOne
She's and Odd One That One...

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006 08:55:32 PM »

Hi, me again....

I would like to knit this...

http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/hug.htm

but, Im not sure I understand it at all...

I have the right needles... (what luck.. I only have one pair...!!!)

I'm going to make it in the large size.... But, without the stripes, (my yarn is variagated (is that the right word..? It has bits of diff. colors in it anyway.)

So, is this what I would do...

Cast on 42 stitches, 2 rows in rib pattern, which is....

Rib Pattern
Row 1: *k2 (p2, k2), p2 (k2, p2)*, rep to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, k2)
Row 2: *p2 (k2, p2), k2 (p2, k2)*, rep to last 2 sts, p2 (k2, p2)
These 2 rows set the rib pattern.

(can someone explain this bit to me.... Im guessing k2 is knit 2 and p2 is purpl 2 (now I have to work out how to purl aswell... gah) why are they in brackets...?? and, what does rep to last 2 sts mean..?

Dec 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 3rd row until 24(28, 32)
sts rem.

so... after the 2 rows of rib pattern, I knit normally.... but decresse one stitch at each third row..? (Dec. is just "Knitting" two together isnt it..??) Until i have 32 st. in my row....

Work 3 more rows ending with a WS row.

Im guessing I do three rows....... but, what does WS mean..?

Inc 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 12th row, taking inc sts
into rib pattern, until there are 38(42, 46) sts.

Does this mean, from the next row, increase one stitch, then, every following 12th row you increase it by one stitch..?

Work 11 rows.

Does this mean 11 normal rows..?

If anyone can help me at all...... that would be SO appreciated.... Im such a noob  Embarrassed And this is just one sleeve... Sad

Thanks in advance
Elven
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How can we possibly become a strong person, if we have an easy life? The tougher it is, the tougher we have a chance to become if we choose to fight back. Tough times never last but tough people do. - Rick Gettle.

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 09:13:43 PM »

I can't get the link to load.  I've never made this, but I'll help you how I can  Smiley

Rib Pattern

Yes, that's knit 2, purl 2.
When you repeat, you're repeating what's between the **

Work 3 more rows ending with a WS row.
WS means "Wrong Side"

Inc 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 12th row, taking inc sts
into rib pattern, until there are 38(42, 46) sts.

Work 11 rows.
I think you've interpreted these steps right, here.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 09:18:43 PM »

I can't get the link to load.  I've never made this, but I'll help you how I can  Smiley

Rib Pattern

Yes, that's knit 2, purl 2.
When you repeat, you're repeating what's between the **

Thank you SOOOOO Much...

so, the repeat bit would be...
k2 ,p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2 ,p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2 ,p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, etc. (for that row anyway) until you had enough st.?

thank you again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How can we possibly become a strong person, if we have an easy life? The tougher it is, the tougher we have a chance to become if we choose to fight back. Tough times never last but tough people do. - Rick Gettle.

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
ysolda
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006 03:43:33 AM »

Not quite.
The brackets are used to show what you do for the different sizes. If you look near the top of the pattern you'll see this:  S (M, L) which means that anything before a set of brackets is the instruction for the small size, anything that comes first withing the brackets is for the medium, and anything at the end of the brackets is for the large. I suggest you print out the pattern and go all the way through it with a highlighter marking the instructions for the large size, so you don't get confused while you're knitting.

So row 1: *k2 (p2, k2), p2 (k2, p2)*, rep to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, k2)

would be *k2, p2*, repeat until there are only 2 sts left on the left needle, k2.

Does that make sense?

Then when it says: These 2 rows set the rib pattern. That means that you continue in the rib pattern that you've set up, so on all the other rows you'll knit the knits and purl the purls. The whole thing is knit in rib.

Dec 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 3rd row until 24(28, 32)
sts rem.

so... after the 2 rows of rib pattern, I knit normally.... but decresse one stitch at each third row..? (Dec. is just "Knitting" two together isnt it..??) Until i have 32 st. in my row....

Yes, just rememeber you're decreasing at both ends of the row. It's also a good idea to work 1 st before you work the decrease at the beginning of the row, and 1 st after at the end. That will make seaming much easier.

I think you've got the rest.
Good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006 06:42:02 AM »

Thanks ysolda... Smiley

sorry more questions....

ohk.... so....

So row 1: *k2 (p2, k2), p2 (k2, p2)*, rep to last 2 sts, k2 (p2, k2)

would be *k2, p2*, repeat until there are only 2 sts left on the left needle, k2.

Does that make sense?

The red ones are what I do till there are two stitches, and then I knit the last two...Huh

and then row 2 would be working "backwards" so the purls will be on the purls and the knits on the knits..?

Im going to "translate" the whole pattern into noob language

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This is for the large size by the way Smiley~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cast on 42 stitches.

Knit two rows in the rib pattern which is (k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2) [assuming Im right from above]

Decrease one stitch at the end of the next row (one at each end of the row..?) and then decrease one stitch every following third row Until 32 stitches are left.

Knit 3 more rows (in rib pattern) ending with a Wrong Side row

Increase 1 stitch at each end of the next row and then every following row until there are 46 stitches. making sure to keep the rib pattern.

Then work 11 rows of 46 stitches.

Armholes and Back

At the end of the 11 rows of 46, bind off two stitches of the next two rows so that 42 stitches remain. (so bind of two then knit in rib for a row, next row Bind of two then knit in rib again.?)

Next row: Dec 1 st at beg of row
Next row: Dec 1 st at end of row
Next row: Dec 1 st at each end of row
Next row: Dec 1 st at end of row

Rep last 2 rows 2 times more.
(Next row: Dec 1 st at each end of row
Next row: Dec 1 st at end of row...?)

At the next row, decrease one stitch at the end of the row and then every alternate row (so "odd" row) until 26 stitches remain.

Knit 32 more rows ending with a Right Side row.

Next row: increase one stitch at begining of the row and every foll alternate row row, taking stitches into
rib pattern, until there are 31 stitches.
Next row: Increase 1 stitch at begining of row
Next row: Increase 1 stitch at each end of row

Rep last 2 rows 2 times more (which means.... Next row: Increase 1 stitch at begining of row
Next row: Increase 1 stitch at each end of row??)

Next row: Inc 1 st at beg of next row
Next row: Inc 1 st at end of next row

How do I do the next step, which Im guessing means to, cast on two stitches at the beginning of the next row so there are 46 stitches on the needle

Second Sleeve

Work 11 rows, ending with a RS row. Dec 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 12th row until 24(28, 32) sts rem.

Work 3 rows, ending with a RS row.
Inc 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 3rd row, taking inc sts into
rib pattern, until you have 34(38, 42) sts.

Work 3 rows ending with a WS row and BO.

(all of that is the same as the first sleeve, but "backwards" right..?)

FINISHING

With Right Side facing, pick up and knit (huh..?? where on earth do i pick up them, and where do they go..?) approximately 76 stitchess evenly around upper back edge.(erm... upper back edge of the back or of the sleeve..?)  Bind off stitcheds purlwise. (erm..? purlwise bind off..? [that will be on knittinghelp.com yeah..?)

Repeat for lower back edge.

Join sleeve seams, leaving open a 5-cm (2-in) hole, 5 cm (2 in) from the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006 08:45:46 AM »

FINISHING

With Right Side facing, pick up and knit (huh..?? where on earth do i pick up them, and where do they go..?) approximately 76 stitchess evenly around upper back edge.(erm... upper back edge of the back or of the sleeve..?)  Bind off stitcheds purlwise. (erm..? purlwise bind off..? [that will be on knittinghelp.com yeah..?)

Picking up stitches means taking the edge of your piece, inserting a needle and `making' a knit stitch - repeat for 76 stitches along the upper back (that will be the part you don't use for the sleeves) and 76 along the upper back. It will be easier if you seam the sleeves up first, then you'll only have to worry about the upper and lower back edges. Then you bind off in purl stitch, and yes, knittinghelp.com should explain how to do that along with how to pick up stitches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006 07:26:43 PM »

oh excellent thank you soozeg Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Sesame Chapati Bread Dough
How to Make Sesame Chapati Bread
Baking Sesame Chapati Bread
How to Make Chicken Adobo - Part 1
How to Make Chicken Adobo - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...