A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster Book Event Location in L.A.? Please help!  (Read 1628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006 08:35:13 PM »

Hi all! My publisher is considering having me do a book event/signing in L.A. in July because I'll be in San Diego visting anyway. So I'm trying to come up with some good suggestions for where this could be held.

In the big long thread where I asked for suggestions for all over the country, these two came up for L.A.:

Insomnia Cafe
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/64115/

Black Sheep Knitting
http://listings.allpages.com/ca-0117472538-los-angeles.html

I know *nothing* about L.A.! What do you all think of these two recommendations? Would they lend themselves well to a book signing? Do they have space for an event that might be a little bit more than just a signing (I have some fun ideas for other activities)?

My publisher is also thinking about a place called:
Vroman's Bookstore
http://vromansbookstore.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on all this or a totally different suggestion? I'd be so appreciative! Grin And I'd love to see L.A. because I've never been there (except as a kid once)!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
craftsurge

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 09:43:15 PM »

Hi Leah,
I have lived in LA for while now and am a little embarassed to not know of the perfect place to recommend. I feel bad. I do know that the city is very large and if you had the opportunity to do more than one book signing here, I would consider hitting up different sections of the city (Hollywood, Santa Monica, The Valley)
There are two places I am thinking of that are not book stores per se... but they do sell books and have an atmosphere conducive to cool things and people. They are:

http://www.soapplant.com/ -  This place is great! They sell knick knacks, paddy whacks, and everything between. They are in Hollywood near Silverlake.

and

http://www.handmade.la/# - looks like the site is under construction but the name says it all. It is a store that sells handmade goods.... I think this would be a great match for you. It is in Sherman Oaks.

I hope you have luck finding a great place. I have never been to the places you wrote about. (that doesn't say much though) I will definitely go to the signing though! Good luck and congrats on the book!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 09:42:35 AM »

i think vroman's is a good idea. pasadena is a nice area and the opportunity for walk-in traffic is high because of all the shops on the colorado blvd. strip.

if you promote it properly, you should be able to attract alot of new people, creating awareness for your book just by being in a high traffic area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.n et

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesigns tudio.net
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006 09:56:58 AM »

don't do it at black sheep knittery.  there is ZERO parking.  it's very frustrating.  i've gone to get yarn there several times and had to leave just because i couldn't find anywhere to park.

do you want to do it at a yarn store? or a book store? 

for a yarn store, unwind in burbank is nice - pretty spacious, and burbank is close enough to hollywood and central to the valley - though not to santa monica and other places over the hill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006 10:06:02 AM »

Hi Leah, I'm familiar with all of the places you mentioned and one that craftsurge suggested.

Black Sheep Knittery is VERY hard to find -- in fact, though I've tried more than once I've yet to spot it myself!  Those I know who've been there say it's also quite small.  All in all, probably not a good choice (also not great for parking).  Black Sheep is in the central Hollywood business/tourist area.

Insomonia might be OK, depending on when you're there.  It's sort of long and narrow (from front to back) with a lot of cushy places to sit plus tables and chairs, sometimes busy, sometimes not.  The atmosphere can be a bit pretentious in the ooo I'm a cool hipster intellectual kind of way, but I think with an "event" YOU'D be creating the atmosphere.  However, if you're planning any crafting activities, I'd make them small and self-contained as it would be difficult to spread out (you know how we get).  The location is probably good in terms of creative types in the surrounding neighborhoods, and parking can range from OK to difficult depending on when you're there.  (Parking anywhere in the commercial parts of LA is always an issue.)

Vroman's is an old, well-established independent bookstore in Pasadena, and they have author readings there all the time.  Haven't been there in years so I don't remember about parking.  Certainly a good place for book people; don't know about crafters per se.

The Soap Plant is a VERY cool store on the eastern edge of Hollywood, defiitely catering to a Craftster-type (or at least Craftster-attitude) clientele.  There's a small sort of art gallery room they might be able set up for a book event (though I may be remembering it larger than it actually is).

Will put on my thinking cap and see if I can come up with a few other suggestions for you....

Congratulations, and I look forward to meeting you if you do come to LA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006 11:53:27 AM »

Vroman's has much better parking than either Black Sheep or Insomnia, and has better space as well.  I love Black Sheep and think they'd be interested in your book, but they're pretty small.

Unwind is a great yarn store, but they ONLY sell yarn, and I think are more focused on getting knitting designers to do appearances.  They're positioning themselves as *the* upscale knitting store in LA.

Handmade might be tricky, because they're kind of a flea market/consignment store hybrid, and I'm not sure any of their vendors sell books, aside from a couple kitschy gift books (e.g. The Hipster Handbook).  I think you'll do a lot more business and get a much better response from walk-in customers at Vroman's.

So, my vote is for Vroman's, but only if it's on a weekend.  Otherwise traffic might make it too difficult for anyone except Pasadena locals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006 09:16:20 PM »

unwind is trying to be upscale?  icky.   i wondered why they'd gotten kinda hoity toity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006 11:15:59 PM »

It's hit or miss for me with them -- sometimes they're super nice and friendly, other times I feel like I'm not nearly rich or famous enough to shop there.  But all of their events/classes/special offers recently have been very expensive and/or "big name".
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006 11:17:30 PM by Messily » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueMousie
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006 09:20:36 AM »

Grin

I would suggest Vromans.  That is a good place for a book signing and so close to LA that I think a lot of crafters would be willing to go to.  The weekend would be best because traffic during the week is hell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006 04:57:57 PM »

I do wish there was an independent bookstore on the West side! Vroman's is awesome, and very supportive of authors. But unless it's on a weekend, it will be a massive pain to get to the event (as in, only people already in the East valley will be able to attend). So... weekend, yes?

It's a large bookstore, but I don't know if there's an area that they could set up for crafty goodness. It would be worth asking, though! They're really big!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Smoky Eye
How to Apply Fake Lashes
Lauren Conrad at Her Allure April 2014 Cover Shoot
Teen Vogue Editor Elaine Welteroth Responds to Your Comments
How to Combat Your Dry Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...