A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,490
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swimsuits for the Rest of Us!  (Read 4911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lynbird22

Itchin' stitchin' fingers.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006 02:19:42 PM »

Hey cool, curvaceous crafters! Just wanted to pass on a helpful link. http://www.oldnavy.com Their women's plus swimsuits are superb in fit and fashion. The halter one-piece has great support for the well endowed (such as myself) and will make you feel like a sexy pin-up! Some stores carry them, but they're always snapped up quickly. I got my 3rd suit today, and am so happy with it. Plus, the total cost (including tax and shipping) was $37.33. For any of you who've ever tried to find a flattering, fashionable swimsuit in a department store, you know that's a bargain! I'm just really happy to finally find affordable, fashionable swimwear in my size, so I thought I'd pass it on. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynbird: making mothers nervous, since 1983.
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006 05:17:08 AM »

Thanks for the link.  I checked it out and I just might order one.  I just hate swim suit shopping.  I used to just opt for a pair of mens swimming trunks and a tank top or a swim suit top.  But I have lost some weight so maybe I will try again for a suit this year. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynbird22

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 12:54:09 PM »

I know the feeling. I would rather wear shorts and a swim top any day than be caught dead in one of those hideous floral prints w/ the skirt - which seem to make up the majority of plus-sized swimwear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006 04:56:30 AM »

Those are really pretty suits!

Last year i stumbled across a pretty skirted tankini from the One Hanes Place catalog. Pretty puckered purple fabric, and the skirt is an a-line style. No floweriness, no full skirt. Very hip looking, but simple. And it shows off my cleavage! LOL!
I'd love to get a tankini w/ boyshorts, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006 05:53:50 AM »

yea, I've looked at several of these swimsuits the last few days and I am thinking maybe to stick to the long short look.  Well ladies, someone needs to design us a new swimsuit.  I am leaving for the summer in two weeks and have to take the computer so cannot take the sewing machine or I might try it.  Oh well, maybe next year. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006 08:23:04 PM »

I personall would be content with a swim suit designed after supergirls costume...man that would be fricken sweet something like this
perhaps if I get the hang of this sewing business I will make it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mishy
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006 06:48:32 AM »

It's soo hard to find a swimsuit! Unfortunatly my old navy didnt have any what so ever! I went around all day looking for one, it was very discouraging, I did finally find one but idealy I wouldve liked it in a different print.. the one I found was cute, but I have seen cuter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynbird22

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 02:18:13 PM »

It's soo hard to find a swimsuit! Unfortunatly my old navy didnt have any what so ever! I went around all day looking for one, it was very discouraging, I did finally find one but idealy I wouldve liked it in a different print.. the one I found was cute, but I have seen cuter.
Sorry!  Embarrassed I guess pickins can get slim when the weather gets warm. I saw some a Lane Bryant last week, but they were quite pricey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006 10:20:06 AM »

I thought I was going the right route a few years ago and got one of those tankinis with the ami-like top and boyshorts.   Boy, was I ever wrong.   The top kept sliding off the satiny material of the bottoms and would settle just under my boobs.  That was embarassing, to say the least.   So, I still had to keep a big te shirt with me.

Now, I just give up on swimming period.   At least in public pools which usually REQIRE that you wear a real suit.   Jerks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
nkay
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006 05:10:02 PM »

Hi,
First post ever, so sorry if I screw it up (wouldn't surprise me!)

Being curvy and somewhat fluffy, I have trouble finding cute swimsuits.  This year I am also currently 6 months pregnant.  I finally made this pattern I've had sitting around for a couple of years (Simplicity 4607)

It wasn't that hard to sew (and I am not an expert sewer.  It's obviously supposed to be a sleeker halter top tankini, but I modified it for my big ole belly so it looks more "skirty" on the top than I wanted but I still am proud of it.  The fabric was $2/yard at wal-mart, I'm not a big pink squares fan, but I wanted something fun and Joannes only had black fabric for $14.99/yard.  

I jumped around at home with it on to make sure the "girls" stayed put.  It seemed fine, but I have yet to pool test it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 01:25:09 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How an Art Mentor Affects the Development of an Artist
Architect Winka Dubbeldam in London
UberPrints Review
Lee Mindel on His Creative Process
Developments In Architecture Today
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...