A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered geraniums  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tejer
« on: May 04, 2006 01:25:45 PM »

I made this over the last 4 days as a gift for my mom for Mother's Day this year. I'm a beginning embroiderer, so I think I made some mistakes while doing this. Most noticeably, there is puckering. I'm still going to frame it though and I love how it looks in general.

If anyone has advice about puckering--help me out. I used a round frame and it just doesn't seem to keep the fabric taut enough for me. I think the material I chose was kind of dense too and therefore I had to pull the fabric more to get the needle through.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 01:38:07 PM »

That's really pretty!  I especially like the effect of embroidering on a striped fabric.

Most of my anti-puckering tips would only work as preventative measures before you start, but you could try "blocking" it.

If you have used dyefast threads (like the cheap DMC floss) you can wet the fabric through, just put it in a bowl of water until it's sopping.  Next, you want to place it embroidered side dwon on a really plush towel, or something else that will accomodate the relief of your stitches.  Then apply a hot iron and watch the steam come off.  Move the iron to different parts of the fabric by picking it up and placing on another section.  Don't drag the iron, this can cause wrinkles.  You don't have to cook all the water out, just put it aside to dry flat while it's slightly damp still.

In the future, an iron-on stabilizer might help.  Also, what kind of hoop do you have?  It is an old-fashioned wooden one?  Or the spring clamp type?  I like the latter, picture here.
http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=16438&GCID=C10601x061
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 01:45:30 PM »

Thanks! I will try the washing and ironing trick. Smiley

I used a spring clamp hoop for this project, but in the past I have used the wooden ones. I will try an iron on stabilizer next time. I also saw that it is a good idea to use frames for bigger projects, but I didn't really thing this was so big.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catpants

viva la hamsterpants! may he rest in peace.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006 01:49:54 PM »

that is beautiful!  definitely doesn't look like a beginner's work!

as for the puckering, have you tried using stabilizer?  that can help keep your work flat.  i prefer the wash-away kind to the tear-away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006 03:18:06 PM »

I think I'm going to have to get a frame soon.  I have a large scale project in mind that would not be good to get caught in a hoop.  I've never had one, or honestly seen one in person...  I'll probably have to buy it online too and I would rather shop for it.  Maybe I can wait until I have time to drive to the city andreally  look.  We'll see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catpants

viva la hamsterpants! may he rest in peace.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006 03:29:06 PM »

I think I'm going to have to get a frame soon.  I have a large scale project in mind that would not be good to get caught in a hoop.  I've never had one, or honestly seen one in person...  I'll probably have to buy it online too and I would rather shop for it.  Maybe I can wait until I have time to drive to the city andreally  look.  We'll see!

i know that joann's sells them, but you might want to call in advance and make sure they have them in stock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006 03:35:03 PM »

Yeah, but I have to 1.5 hours to get to the nearest Joann's... Cry
  on a road I hate more than all of the tuna fish sandwiches in the world.   Angry
Plus with gas what it is...   Shocked
this has to be a multi-tasking trip...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

castorella
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006 04:05:00 AM »

I don't like geraniums because they smell awful and they lose a lot of dried-out leaves. But that won't happen with your embroidered ones, they're lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevenFaces

I'm not a llama >:(

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006 11:49:24 AM »

That's beautiful!

Not to go off topic, but you said you're a beginner, did you have someone teach you, or did you use a book? I'm just wondering because I'm interested in starting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpie
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006 11:50:25 AM »

The embroidery looks just lovely, and I think the puckering just gives it character.  I'm sure your Mom will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men Resumed
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Incredible Feather Art
Marianne North Gallery in Kew Gardens
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...