A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feather Wreath  (Read 2191 times)
Tags for this thread: wreath  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olga
« on: May 04, 2006 10:25:47 AM »

I saw a beautiful wreath made of feathers in a decorating magazine. Could no longer live without one, so I stayed up until 3 AM to finnish. Don't hate me for using feathers.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 10:34:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 10:32:27 AM »

I Love It! I want one!,e xcept I want mine for a centerpiece on my dining room table, where did you get the Feathers?  ANd hoow did you attach them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 10:58:12 AM »

gorgeous.  love the way it shines although it will probably get dusty easily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006 01:05:10 PM »

Woa, that is awesome! The brown looks awesome against that blue!

I'd probably make them with funky colors XD but I'm crazy like that!

How did you make that? It looks complicated Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radal16
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006 06:02:18 AM »

Nice!  Love the color you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olga
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006 05:13:42 PM »

Thanks for the compliments y'all.

Ok, here is the tute, hope it's clear enough.

1. Buy a cheap styrofoam wreath form. They have them anywhere, Michaels, Walmart, etc. I bought a medium/small one, cost about a dollar. Something like this http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=66758

2. Buy feathers. I looked all over the store and the only thing I found was feathers in small packages. They were too expensive for the amount I would be needing. A kept looking, and in a completely different department I found what they called feather trim. It looked something like this http://www.mjtrim.com/catalog/family.aspx?family=17%3a07. Only mine didn't have that strip of satin at the top. Mine was just feathers sort of strung thickly on string. I think it cost me about $7.00 for 6 ft (or was it three ft, I forget).

3. Next I had to take the feathers off the string that was holding them in place. Not very hard, you just have to find the last feather (the one at the edge of the trim), or close to last, and pull it. It should tear the string and allow you to pull the rest of the feathers free. Most of the feathers have a fairly thick base/leg/stem (whatever you call it).

4. I pulled maybe a handfull of feathers at a time and began one by one, inserting them in to the foam. At first it seems as though you may break the feather stem, but you'll get the hang of it. Actually most of the feathers went in pretty easily.

5. Start wherever, I started on the top of the foam wreath, not on the inside portion. Stick the feathers in, one by one, at an angle. I put mine in at a pretty steep angle, the feathers were almost laying flat against the styrofoam. Keep going, placing one layer on top of the other as you go, so basically you'll be moving backwards. Don't place feathers extremely close to each other, it's not necessary. The feathers themselves will cover up any empty bald spaces. Then work on the inside and outside of the wreath, until everything is covered. The end, it's really that easy.

The only reason I chose this color was because the only other one was black, and I knew you would not be able to see the feather definition if I went with black. If I'd have had my choice I would have definately gone with something more funky.

Thanks for reading.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Video in PowerPoint
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
How to Draw Kif Kroker From Futurama
How to Draw Justin From Total Drama Action
Creating Multiple Versions Of Your Photo in Camera Raw
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...