A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Satin?  (Read 1723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fudgegirl
« on: May 04, 2006 02:27:10 AM »

Has anyone ever stenciled on satin? or heard anything about it?
I wear boxers under my school uniform so if the wind blows i don't flash my undies..... but the problem is, my brothers also wear boxers and when people try and sort the washing, everyone gets confused. so i thought maybe if i  could stencil on them i could end the confusion and have fun....but i've never stenciled or painted on satin, so i was wondering if anyone had and recommedations or advice or anything Huh
thanks. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fudgegirl
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 05:20:11 AM »

Well, seeing as i dont think anyone did  know about stenciling on satin, I'm just posting this to say: i threw caution (and small scraps of fabric) to the wind, and i just did it! I worked fine, but was easier to smudge...not bleed, just.. those tiny blobs of paint that i get on my fingers that dont affect other types of material, well, the satin found them and held on. So what i mean is - wipe your hands lots. And also, dont make the paint too think, or else the fabric goes stiff. But also, dont make it too super runny, or else it bleeds everywhere. Lol, hard to get the paint right, isnt it!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 05:36:21 AM »

Thanks for thowing caution to the wind and giving it a go. I'd been looking for alternatives to the regular cotton and such for stenciling on. Now I know HEY, that fabulous satin handbag I got at the thrifty will hold paint if I do it just right!

THank you Fudgegirl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006 06:27:19 PM »

I'm glad i could help someone! I recommend practising on some scrap satin, and i used a glue to hold my stencil down - but thats just because i dont have freezer paper where i am - so, you could try with freezer paper, and let me (and all the other craftsters) know how that goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanilla_echo

I just snogged Madame de Pompadour...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 05:10:00 PM »

Thanks Fudgegirl for trying this out for us - I've read plenty of posts about women stencilling boxers for their other halves, but they all seem to be using cotton boxers, and my guy only wears satin.
Now I can't wait to give this a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artisticclarity
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011 03:47:24 PM »

I realize this post is old, but I figured I would post my results anyway!

I am making my prom dress this year (ivory satin) and needed to stencil on a pattern, so I used freezer paper stencils and mixed some black acrylic paint with black fabric dye (about 50/50) and painted over the stencil, let it dry, peeled it back, and VOILA! Fabulous stencil work!  It did bleed a tad once or twice but only if the freezer paper wasn't ironed down well, so it was easy to compensate for.   

And although this post was started nearly five years ago, hopefully this helps someone, lol.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012 03:18:26 PM »

One year later, this helped me! I'm getting married on Friday and just got a white satin robe that I want to stencil "Mrs. Aragon" onto. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be a Theatre Director
How to Direct a Play
How to Select a Play to Direct
How to Recognize a Good Scene in Theater Directing
How to Audition Using Sides
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...