A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eyes for Amigurumi?  (Read 7981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tangerine_Dreams
« on: May 03, 2006 07:54:57 PM »

I've seen the cute and small doll eyes on many Amigurumi here....where can I find these at? Any local (like Hobby Lobby, Micheals) or online sources would be appreciated.  Also what size do you use?

~Jessica~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
IamSusie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006 04:34:02 PM »

My forays into amigurumi have been pretty small, but I did have to do a big search for the right eyes for my little critters. Googley eyes just aren't quite as cute.

I found little black glass beads for smaller eyes.  I also found small black buttons.  I could not find actual doll eyes in the various big craft stores in my area, but when I googled animal eyes  online, I found a few sources.  I did not order these, however, as I was happy enough with the buttons and beads I already had.  You can find those kind that have a post and connect in the inside of your critter's head.  These are the ones that make them child safe, but those are a bit more expensive, and often are larger.

Then there is the always useful felt.  I made some cute frog eyes from felt.  I really have to post a pic of that frog, he is a very handy litttle pincusion for me...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006 10:23:35 PM »

i just buy cheap black buttons and paint the whites. i sew really tighly because i have kids, and none have fallen off yet!

or i try to do the "^_^" style with yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Cocoa Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006 03:55:08 AM »

I personally prefer to use safety eyes because they generally have a lower chance of coming off, but sadly, they seem to be disappearing from craft store shelves.  I don't understand it; Just a month ago, I could find atleast a number of sizes of black eyes, but now there's just really large or really tiny ones.  I've resorted to painting cat's eyes different colors because they were the only ones that were an acceptable size.  Does anyone know of a site online where they sell -inexpensive- safety eyes?  I've only found one place, that ships from the UK, I believe... not so cheap as far as shipping goes.  All for little pieces of plastic.  It's so frustrating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danileo
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 12:11:42 AM »

Hi,
I have used this online store for eyes, noses, etc. and found it to be a good source of many other supplies.

http://www.craftking.com/

Hope this helps,
Danielle in Denver
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah-

Feeling the need to crochet...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 04:27:46 AM »

As far as the UK goes, I can't find any varied sizes of just plain black eyes for my amigurumi. I resorted to ebay but even eyes from there are now disappearing Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah -

http://www.wists.com/sarah-
teamo.etsy.com - Miniature bears now available!

I'd love to do a personal swap! - PM me!
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 04:42:45 AM »

Here our local HObby Lobby and Michael's both carry the eyes.
When you go to a craft store - don't look where the beads or yarn is. They aren't there.  They are with the doll making supplies.

For my tiny guys I use round black plastic beads.
For my bigger guys I use the doll eyes - they look like  a screw and have a crimping washery thing that you push up close to the backside of the yarn - they come in all sorts of sizes.
See if you have a doll making supply area of any craft stores.  I would never have thought to look there but that is where I have always found them - I felt like an idiot too - I had been all over my major craft store, couldn't find them and then called a few local yarn stores and sure enough they had them... in with their doll making area - I stocked up on blue cat eyes - I was making Siamese cats at the time - and then found them at the major stores - in the doll making supply area .  Walmart doesn't carry them though.

In a pinch if I am desperate I will use a button but I don't care much for the look.  If it is for a small child - under 3 I always embroider on the eyes.  I know those eyes are on good but I don't want to take the risk whatsoever.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006 08:21:50 AM »

Danielle thanks for the craft King link....I'll have to check it out! I've got it bookmarked! 

CraftyDeb, our HL and Micheals don't carry them....I've looked in both the bead sections and the doll making sections.  But then again, I live on the Gulf Coast, so I don't know if it's a "we don't stock them since Hurricane Katrina" thing or what.....I have seen people use beads and it does look cute....maybe I'll try that a couple of times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 08:26:21 AM »

You might also try the shank style black buttons - just push the shank through the crochet and sew from the back so that it lays flat.  It is odd that your stores don't carry them.  I am only in Huntsville(still pretty south but maybe the restocking hasn't been done but it has been a long time since the hurricane.  I hate to think that all the stores still aren't back up and running the way they should be...) and they both carry them.  They were in a weird spot.  Last time I was in they were doing a relocation on all the stuff in HL and it was difficult to find them but they were there... mixed in with the googly eyes... a bead will definitely be too big for must stuffed animals and dolls though.

A lot of people also use felt for their dolls.  Felt seems to be making a big comeback in the stuffed animal/doll world..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
pureeva
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006 11:14:03 AM »

try CR's Crafts. I think their shipping is lower than Craft King and you can buy in bulk if you wish. I've used them before and they have a great selection of animal eyes with backings! They also sell other great things like animal whiskers and name tape
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAYBOT DOES NOT COMPUTE!

http://pureEVA.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sheet Tray Cookie Bar
Silken-Tofu Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Sticky Honey-Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Caramel-Iced Cocoa Cake Recipe
Caramel Apple Flatbread Dessert Pizza Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...