A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Wavy" seed bead necklace *WITH TUTORIAL* (Image heavy)  (Read 5215 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catTM
« on: May 03, 2006 01:32:56 PM »

Hi,
Here is a necklace that was created when I was playing around with seed beads and thread a while ago. I was experimenting with making beaded fringes and similar stuff, and made this "ruffly" thing. I wasn't very pleased with it, and didn't really know what to do with it, but made it into a necklace anyway. Then I just happened to use it one night because the colors were right for my outfit, and got lots of compliments on it. I even got a request (the green one). Several members of my choir asked how it was made, so I created a tutorial, which I have now translated to English. Time to give something back to the Craftster community  Grin.

Here is the original necklace:

And here is the one I made for a friend:

TUTORIAL:

Material:

Seed beads in a size you like (I used 11/0). Two colors are used in the tutorial.
One larger bead for the closure
Thread, at least 5 times as long as the desired length of the necklace
Needle

These instructions assumes you will have 2 colors, called A and B.

OK, here we go:

1. Start by stringing 4 + 5 beads of color A on your thread, then the large bead that will be used to close the necklace and then one more bead. Run your thread through all the beads but the last one. Leave a 20 cm (8 in) tail.

2. String a multiple of 8 beads of color A on your necklace, to produce the desired length (I used 37 times 8 = 296 beads). This is hence called the "main string".

3. String 4+5 beads of color A, and then enough beads (color A) to form a loop that just fits around the large bead in the other end of the necklace (I used 21 beads).

4. Go through the loop beads once more, and then tighten the thread to form the loop. The thread now goes through each bead in the loop twice. Then go back through 5 + 4 beads.

5. Time to switch color. String on 7 beads of color B, one of color A, and then 7 more of color B. Skip 7 beads on the main string, and then go through the 8th bead. Tighten your thread. Now there is an arc of beads in color B.

6. Repeat this until you have 4 + 5 + the large bead left on the main string. If you chose 37 times 8 beads for the length of the necklace, you should now have 37 arcs in color B. Go through the next 4 beads on the main string, so that your thread exits between the 5th and 6th bead counted from the large bead.

7. String 3 beads in color B, one in color A, and 3 in color B. Go through the 4th bead in the closest arc, marked with purple color in the picture.

8. String 3 beads in color B, and go through the middle bead in the part of the main string that is enclosed by the arc (marked in purple). String 3 beads in color B and go through the 4th bead in the other side of the arc (green).

9. String 3 beads of color B, one of color A and 3 of color B. Go through the 4th bead in the next arc. Then 3 beads of color B, go through a bead on the main string, 3 beads of color B, go through the arc, and so on until you exit the last arc.

10. String 3 beads of color B, one of color A and 3 of color B and go through the 4th bead on the main string counted from the end of the last arc. Go through all the beads to the loop, then through the loop at least once (to reinforce it), and then back through the main string. Go through a few of the arcs to fasten the thread.

11. In the beginning, a tail of thread was left near the large bead. Go through a few arcs with this, go back to the large bead to reinforce, and then back through the main string. Go through a few arcs to fasten.

YOU'RE DONE!

I hope the tutorial made sense, sorry for any language errors. Feel free to ask if there is anything I need to explain better. If you don't feel like counting, you could always leave a random number of beads between the arcs and the closure and make as many arcs as there is room for. I like it even, though  Smiley. If you follow this description, I'd love to see the result!

Thanks for reading!

Tove
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011 12:15:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)
decibel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006 01:45:06 PM »

Hej hej!

I think the necklaces look great, and I love the color of the first one especially even though I'm usually more of a "green" kinda girl... Smiley
And the tutorial rocks!! Very thorough... Good work! Cheesy

Frresten, hr har du en till svensk. *vinka* Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 12:17:45 PM »

Language errors? Who reads the description when there are pics..? Cheesy Wink
Great necklaces and terrific tute! If I made one one beautfuk day, Ill show it off here. Grin

..n, yea:  Jag kan ox prata svedala... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
Julz

Let's bury the hatchet. Quickly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007 08:45:15 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial. This is the one that I just made. The tutorial was very very easy to understand. I can see you put a lot of effort into it. My photo doesn't do your design justice - the actual necklace is much more wavy. It reminds me a bit of seaweed. Thanks again!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AzureStars
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007 12:39:34 AM »

Wow, I love it. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

If only I found this earlier, I'd make a necklace to wear for my birthday(today).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists!--A small but growing list.
purplexime
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007 05:17:51 AM »

Very nice necklace.  Thank you for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catTM
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007 10:26:53 AM »

Thank you Smiley. I'm so happy you guys like it, and I'm thrilled that you tried it out, Julz Grin. Your necklace looks great.

I think the tension of the thread makes a difference for the "wavyness". The higher the tension, the more twists. Or maybe not. Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\  /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny.
He is on his way to world domination, one signature at a time!
(Copy and paste to help him take over the world)
Julz

Let's bury the hatchet. Quickly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007 08:52:37 PM »

Yeah, I did make it tight but I used random green beads and some were a bit longer or shorter than others so the waves are less regular but I still like it. It really is more wavy, it's just a crap photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...