A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing book reviews & recommendations for beginners  (Read 19639 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robinhb
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2008 12:21:32 PM »

i LOVE the Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp (amazon info: http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Everything-Workshop-Diana-Rupp/dp/0761139737/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216322302&sr=8-1); totally explains the basics in an understandable way, and includes patterns for stuff you actually want to make!  Definitely worth checking out.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwilcoxson
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2008 10:18:39 AM »

I would really recommend Lotta Jansdotter's book Simple Sewing, my library has it but I went ahead and bought a copy.  It has tons of super easy, fun, modern projects for beginning sewers.  My friend Chassity and I recently decided to teach ourselves how to sew and have been getting most of our projects from this book.  My favorite so far has been the all day tote and the tool roll (for paint brushes and stuff).  All of the projects in the book are very useful items,  from aprons and placemats to duvet covers and curtains.  I highly recommend it!

blessings!
Kayla
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smuffie

Whats up duck.......??

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2008 02:03:43 PM »

I absolutely love "yeah, I made it myself" by Ethine Farry.

Its not really big on technical details (not my speciality), but is really good for inspiring new sewers with lots of simple, fun idea's.
It gave me lots of confidence to "have a go" and have made 2 dress' from the book...and who cares if they don't last a lifetime....they were fun to make and look great right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iluv2laf573
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2008 08:08:51 AM »

I really like the book 'SEW-U' because it explains a lot about the basics of sewing, and it comes with three basic patterns (Jeans/pants, skirt, and button-down shirt) that you can alter.  Also, I like the second book in the series 'SEW-U: Home Stretch' which is all about knit fabric.  It also comes with three patterns (t-shirt, raglan sleeve sweatshirt, and dress).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shorji
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2008 01:05:31 AM »

Thanx everybody for your recommendations.

I could not get hold of some of the books mentioned due to the geographical postioning of my country lol.

So I ended up buying this one from Play.com

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/843856/The-Complete-Book-of-Sewing/Product.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2008 10:21:15 AM »

Hey all! I've merged together all of the threads asking about sewing book recommendations for beginning sewers.  One day I'll gather all the recommendations and put them in the first post... but not today, sorry!  Wink

Hope this is helpful! It's obviously a question that a lot of people had. (I merged almost 20 threads!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 10:21:47 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2008 01:55:02 PM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caro_caro
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2009 01:53:45 PM »

Hello all.  So, here's my deal: I have some experience hand sewing, mostly repairing and hemming things.  However, I got a sewing machine for Christmas and would really like to create some more complicated items (I have plans for a quilt and I'd like to do some clothes, especially after seeing some of the genius stuff on Craftster).  My problem?  I have no idea where to start in terms of learning technique, basic terms, etc.  Topstitching? I kinda know what that is.  Interfacing?  No idea.  Serging...type of stitch, right?  Basically, I'm looking for a good thorough guide that will help me pick up the basic skills that I'll need to make the things I want to make.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks a bunch in advance  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009 06:46:44 AM »

Start with the sticky threads in this forum, Sewing in General: Sewing Machines, and the Quilting forum Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2009 08:01:10 AM »

Has anyone bought or seen The Sewing Book (published by Dorlng Kindersley) yet?  It's just been published but I saw it for about 1/3 of RRP and ordered a copy for my friend's birthday, but it was kind of a "hope for the best" purchase and I'm hoping it'll be good.

If anyone from the UK is interested, the place I got it so cheaply was The Book People.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...