A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,917
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mother is so incredibly impossible.  (Read 2650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

supersandra
« on: May 02, 2006 09:30:57 PM »

I need a mother's day gift idea, but by this Sunday, which is a week early, because we're celebrating early.  My mom is in her 50s.  She likes... um... cats... and cleaning things...

Seriously, my mom is so impossible when it comes to gifts, and she will never give me any ideas that aren't really pathetic.  Last time I asked her, she said "new dinner bowls from Longs".  I refuse to buy my mother dinner bowls (they were boring looking, and I wouldn't be able to make her cool dinner bowls, for the record.)

Cry.  Help.  Please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spapeggyandmeatballs

This is not good! Worlds are colliding!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 10:26:47 PM »

My mom is impossible also (and her birthday is the week before Mothers Day, so its really bad!). My mom has no hobbies and also doesn't like any crafty or homemade stuff, so I know what you're going through.

This probably won't help you this month, but earlier this year I finally started writing down everything my mom says she likes (even if its something like bath soap) so that I can at least get her something she will use and not put in her "oh thats nice..." box of things that she never looks at again. Seems lame, but not AS lame as spending 12 hours on a project that she doesn't like! LOL

I don't know if this really counts as a craft, but since you mentioned that your mom likes cleaning, maybe you could make up some homemade cleaners for her? Sounds bizarre, but I mix a lot of my own household cleaners/products (like window cleaner, shower spray, air freshener, fabric softener, etc). There are a lot of "recipes" on the Recipe Gold Mine web site (household cleaning recipes section) and other sites. Most of the stuff is simple (vinegar, etc) and/or all-natural.

If giving mom household cleaners is too ironic, another thing I've made is gel air fresheners in small jars (recipes off the internet, also) that make good crafty gifts that are pretty but aren't too "craft-ish".

Hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006 10:57:28 AM »

what about just a nice plant or silk flower arrangement? you also could get a pretty glass bowl with some varieties of silk flowers that she can change seasonally?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 07:27:48 PM »

Another cleaning related suggestion.  Dusting gloves.  I remember seeing a pattern for these in a knit/crochet gift booklet from the 70's, now I wish I could find it.  maybe someone out there knows the one I mean. 

They were a basic mitten or glove which was the covered in latch hooked strands all over the palm.  If you are short of time (or do not knit or crochet) you could purchase a glove in a chunky knit and use a scrap yarn cut in short lengths and a crochet hook to attach the threads, one per stitch I reckon.  Don't forget to do the inside face of the fingers too, this is what makes them special, great for getting into small spaces.

I wonder if a yarn could be chosen that is prone to producing static to increase dust grabbing potential?  Could be quick and inexpensive to make.  Maybe someone else on here has already had a go at something similar/better.  Oops!  i should have checked first, sorry folks, my bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
FairyWings
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007 09:02:19 AM »

I know this reply is really late but for future readers .. I'll post my thoughts.

If your mom likes or needs new bowls ( or something else equally boring) then just ger her them if you can.  Sometimes a boring gift that you know they want is more appreciated by them than something you thought up yourself. and if you just can't get past how boring it is and can't justify to yourself giving her it like that .. then be creative and add to it.

give the bowls and then add to it soup or pasta stuff. a jar filled with the dry ingredients for a homemade soup or pasta..and a tag on the jar with the recipie.

if it's Soap.. get her a soap glove  thingy or make one ..  not sure  what it's called but it's a little thing you can slip the soap into .. it's gets foamy and bubbly like a sponge  And it helps you keep ahold of the soap to it doesn't slip out of your hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pick-N-Mix

Paint my lips like a rose.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007 09:28:03 AM »

Oh my!
I think we have the same mother! Haha.
My mum is exactly the same...she adores cats and cleaning is her hobby!
Also, for xmas last year she asked for a dinner set!
Mums eh..! Hehe.
I hope you managed to find something appropriate in the end.
[-x-]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Feminists wish women to seem like men. They're not men." - Vivienne Westwood
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
David Rabe Talks About Girl by the Road at Night
Will Bunch Reveals Who He Admires Most
George Michelsen Foy Talks About Zero Decibels
Benson Bobrick Reveals What Readers Think About Him
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...