A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i've been doing it wrong?!  (Read 524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

combatbaby
« on: May 02, 2006 07:17:10 PM »

apparently, yesterday i found out that i was purling the "wrong way". i figured this out when i was watching a video on knittinghelp.com about a certain increase. anyhow, i have been wrapping the yarn around the needle clockwise rather than counter clockwise, making the stitch different. i read the blurb on the website about this so-called "combination purl" and it says that the next row would then need to be adapted to fit this change. i haven't encountered any problems so far, i don't think... but could it really cause trouble? what do i need to change in the next row? and does it look any different or can i just go ahead and change the way i do it now without screwing up my project?

what i'm worried about most is that this is going to be a horrible habit to break.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 09:05:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure that all you'd have to do for the stitches not to be twisted is, on the next row, knit into the back loop of the stitches. If you do a Google search for "combination knitting," you should find a bunch of sites that explain how you have to modify your knitting in order for the fabric to look like it should.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 09:10:01 PM »

I did the same thing!  20-ish years after I learned to knit!  I only realized it when I taught myself continental.  It took a little practice, but I was able to re-learn. 

I looked at some of the knitting from before I figured this out and the stitches look slightly different than the way they look now that I'm doing it "right" but it didn't really affect the overall knitting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
svea
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 04:59:55 AM »

knitting twisted stiches on one row (your purl) and then the 'correct' way on the other (your knit, i.e. knit into the front of the stich as per normal) will result in a fabric that is not as flexible. the little stiches also look like crosses rather than like arches (for want of a better word)

so either knit them twisted on every row, i.e. your purl combined with a knit stich into the back loop (which untwists the purl stich you did the row before), or prul the other way.

of course, some pattern call for twisted stiches......

just knit whichever way you like Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 05:28:37 AM »

Tee Heee....I knit twisted for years (but I did the opposite from combatboy..purls were standard but I knit through thee back of the loop). I chalk it up to the very Montessori way my dear friend taught me  Grin
And svea is right//th fabric comes out a little different..it has a tendency to bias a bit...but I stubbornly refused to correct myself until I found it made for troubles when I tried to cable.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't sweat over it...I've got lots of stuff from my early knitting days that's composed of twisted stitches. By th time I bothered to learn an un-twisted (aka standard) knit stitch I felt really comfortable with the whole process.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

combatbaby
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006 07:07:48 AM »

thank you! i'll be sure to do it the right way on the next project because, believe it or not, i like it alot better. so much easier to knit into the purl stitches when they are done right. well, i was silly and started doing it the normal way about halfway through my project, and now it looks ridiculous. i think i'm going to have to go back a couple rows and do it how i would normally. ohhh, the amount of ridiculous mistakes i've made on this project makes me feel like i should start over. i think they are signs! oh well.

thanks again for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Negative Spaces in Images
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
How to Remove Color Casts
How to Create Rhythm Within Imagery
How to Create Abstraction within an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...