A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Ole Button down to Puffy Sleeve HOTNESS (NOW WITH TUT ON P4!!)  (Read 77274 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BereaSteph
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006 09:02:18 AM »

excitement!!! I have tons of shirts I can do this with!  Do'ya think stiped shirts would be okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hulagirlbeth
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006 10:44:50 AM »

THAT IS SO AWESOME

I think it's time for me to buy a sewing machine... can't wait to see how to pull off this awesomeness!
ps it is great you can stay crafty even with so much going on Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PelesGrrl

Play hard, play out loud.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006 11:51:34 AM »

oh my GOSH!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Smiley
Every girl DEFINITELY needs at least one shirt like this. I love how it turned out, seeing how huge the bugger was when you first started. Wink
I've got a couple of vintage aloha shirts I'd like to try this on. That'd be coo...
I didn't look through all 4 pages of replies, but did you post a tute?
Me want, me want!!!  Grin Cheesy
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."- George Eliot
Life's too short, have your dessert first.
Jessiesmess
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006 12:37:49 PM »

excitement!!! I have tons of shirts I can do this with!  Do'ya think stiped shirts would be okay?

Yes the shirt that I will be using for the tutorial is a striped Kenzo..  I told you my bf was metro! 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 07:25:02 AM by Jessiesmess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.c om
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.bl ogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraf tmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
mi.luna.azul
Raving Lunatic!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006 04:44:58 PM »

WOW! That is so pretty. I can't wait for a tutorial! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewantsxglamor
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006 05:15:56 PM »

So adorable!
I've always wanted to buy a shirt like that, but my cheap, crafty side kept whispering,"You can make that!"

Eagerly awaiting the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funky_monkey86
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006 05:53:51 PM »

adorable!
I can't wait for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 kiki
Jessiesmess
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006 07:20:10 PM »

OK
So, Ill do my best. Please keep in mind that

a. I am a self taught sewer

b.  This is only my second time doing this.. bear with me.

If you make one, please post pics.. I would LOVE to see it

1. Start out with a LEAST an XL sized shirt. Reason being you want the sleeves to be big because you will be making them puffy.

2. Supplies needed. A shirt, ruler, chalk or whatever you use to mark fabric, tape measure, pins, scisors and lots of patience.

3. Measure from your collar to your shoulder.. Take this number and give yourself 2 inches Mark that on your shirt. SInce this shirt is big on you, you will still have room from where the sleeve meet the armhole. In otherwords, at this point, you will NOT be cutting into the sleeve.. See in this pic where I marked it.
This mark is very important you will see why later..

4. Now, cut the sleeves off like you are making a tank or a cheesey 80s vest. now only cut around the seams of the armhole and put your sleeves to the side. You will be using them.

5. Now mark from the shouder part and go down.. but create a curve for your armhole. You want this curve to me about 3/4 of the size of the old armhole because you want your sleeves to be bigger than your armhole..

See??

NOW, pin the sides together leaving the armhole open. 

Stitch up each side, staying close to the edge. Go ahead and stitch up your shoulders. You now have a fitted Cheesey 80s vest throw your fist up in the air like Billy Idol.

(NOTE YOU WILL want to cut the bottom of the shirt for length at this point, but go against that urge!!) Wait till your shirt is done to take in the bottom hem.. again, ask me how I know!!)

Now put this vest to the side.. you are going to work on your sleeves. To create a "puff" you need gathers. To do this, you will use the widest stitch on your sewing machine and sew about 1/2 inch from the top part of the sleeve.. leave the edge of your thread long because you are going to pull on these to create the gather.

Now, keep in mind this sleeve will be gathered at the bottom too, so dont get carried away.. you dont have a lot of room with these sleeves, so try to move your gatherint up to the shoulders.. like so.. Now line up your sleeve to your armhole.. You DO NOT want too much armhole.. so if you have to restretch the sleeve a bit to get it to fit, do that.. again we will also be gathering at the bottom..of the sleeve so stop stressin.

Pin your sleeves to your shirt. be sure to keep the basting stitch where it wont show on the outside.. ask me how I know this.

Sew your sleeves in.

Now, cut the bottom off of the sleeve to the length you want it to be. Give yourself about an inch.because you will be creating more gathers at the bottom.

about 1.2 inch up from the bottom of the sleeve, stitch another gathering stitch like you did for the top. Onlly this time you have TONS of room to gather so go with it.. Pull your strings and bunch it up and adjust it how you want.

Now put your shirt to the side and grab some contrasting fabric. Put it infront of you.. Take a tape measure and measure around the top of your arm, or wherever you want the sleeve to hit. For me the top of my arm was 10 inches.. so I gave myself 10.5 inches.. So cut your fabric two inches wide by whatever length your arms are.. so mine was 10.5 inches long and 2.0 inches wide. fold your strips in half right sides out and stitch the top. No need to turn inside out like a bag handle.. just leave it.

Now join the two edges of the strip and create a "circle.. Sew these edges together.. like so. Try to stay close to the edge

NOW you want to pin this to the bottom of your sleeve. This gets tricky.

You want to sew it raw edge of the strip to the bottom of the sleeve. So attach the round strip to the bottom of your sleeve and pin in place. Make sure when you pin it that when you flip the shirt right side out, it looks right. Make sure that you have both "no seam edges" touching eachother. I always mess that part up and end up witha seam from the strip on the outside of the shirt. No biggie, but Im anal about that stuff.

I hope this pic describes this process clearly.

Anyway, sew those caps in, and now you have a puffy sleeve hotness shirt.

Hope this is clear! Feel free to ask any questions!!

wait no I can be sassier than that

Tongue
enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 07:28:22 PM by Jessiesmess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.c om
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.bl ogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraf tmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
bnanca
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006 07:31:21 AM »

Thank you for the tut, I have to try this, I got to go out and buy a cheap button down. THANKS!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evysmom
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006 07:51:40 AM »

Great tutorial!  It seems very clear.  Thanks!!   I'm even thinking of making one for my 2 yr old.  She'd be adorable with puffy sleeves.  Smiley  Off to the thrift store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Lace on Christmas Balls
How to Felt with Crochet
How to Crochet a Christmas Scarf
How to Crochet Fab Faux Scarf
How to Crochet Candle Lace Covers
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...