A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giaconda tied down or Mona Lisa empty hearted  (Read 2604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 02, 2006 12:55:33 AM »

Here's my challenge entry made from two pieces I found in a bag of random things I bought from the op shop.

Before:

A mini wooden easel

And a postcard reproduction of the Mona Lisa

And heres the after:

This started out being a comment on art in general and the comodification of the Mona Lisa but it ended up being more about me and how I feel at the moment. I re-painted the background and coloured her hair red (because I have red hair and big issues about it.

I wanted to make the easel actually a part of the artwork instead of the thing that holds it up so I cut slits and punched a puzzle shaped hole into the image that would allow you to see the easel underneath. The hole is roughly over where her heart would be so its like she's empty inside. I always think the Mona Lisa looks sad and I wanted to show that. The hole is filled in by a piece of old lace that I coloured red with water colours and theres a small coin hanging of the corner of the hole again referencing the comodification of her.

Heres a detail to show the holes and the easel behind. In the bottom left corner is the piece that was punched out of her chest that I've sanded most of the picture off and stamped the word 'art' onto.

The writing in the background is a ramble that I wrote about the Mona Lisa, it says:

"God I hate what they've done to her, tied her down to one meanig for the rest of her lives, L. H. O. O. Q. and I bet they've told her as well, just because she doesn't look as skinny as the other paintings in her old frame..."

Heres a detail of the beading on her head. I also wanted to add jewelery and adornments to her to sort of over do it, make her too beautiful and almost gaudy. The beading on her head was suposed to be like a medievil hair piece but now kind of looks like she's wearing a bandana. Its kind of hard to see but the charm on her necklace is a spider on its web to add to the symbolism of being trapped/tied down.

Here's a detail to show her hands, I made the 'bracelets' look more like bonds that were holding her down and then I added the padlock charm, which I think finishes it off perfectly. I love the hands on the Mona Lisa  and I wanted a way to showcase them, which I think the beading has done, its drawn your attention to them.

The front "cross bar" of the easel has been covered with a layer of black and bronze embossing powder which has been stamped into with the signatures of the artist who have inspired this piece, Leonardo Da Vinci, Frida Kahlo and Marc Chagall, then stamped over in gold with the words "created by".

Hope you guys like it, its going to live on my top shelf next to my "inspiration shrine"

-Ralph 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 01:01:19 AM by Ralph » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
catisoutside
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 06:08:59 AM »

This is great.  I love the writing in the background and the small scale of this piece- I think the size suits it well.  Also, it's inspiring how much thought you put into it.  You're reaffirming my thought that reconning art might be a therapeutic endeavor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 09:57:29 AM »

I love how you made the easel part of the piece itself, rather than just a prop for the actual work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Four Fall Fashions For Kids
Back-to-School Fashions Look Like 80s Flashback
4 Perfect Hairstyles For The New School Year
Back to School Fashions for 2013
8 Top Back-to-School Fashion Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...