A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! My sharpie designs are rubbing off and I don't know how to fix them!  (Read 1464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2006 10:14:33 PM »

I need help!!! I painted a pair of beige slip-on sneakers with three coats of white fabric paint, and then drew on them in silver sharpie. They looked awesome, but then I was worried about the silver rubbing off, so then I scotchguarded them. BUT I just wore them, and the sharpie turned into one big silver smudge blob where my pant legs rubbed!!! What can I put on them to make the sharpie stick to the fabric paint? Mod podge? Some other kind of spray? I'm totally stuck for ideas!!! I'm going to have to repaint them and try something else because they look like crap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 03:55:35 AM »

sharpie is not designed for this use.  try using a fabric paint pen instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 10:37:00 AM »

Thanks! I saw the fabric paint pens, but then thought that if a silver sharpie would do the trick on fabric, then it would do the trick on fabric paint too. So wrong! I guess there's no alternative but to shell out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chilan
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 10:37:16 AM »

Acrylic paint would probably work.  Some people mix it with a fabric paint medium to turn it into fabric paint, but quite frankly, I have tried acrylic paint both with and without the medium and I can't tell the difference;  it's been permanent on fabric for me so far.  I think it would be cheaper then buying a pen, but you need a sturdier hand.

On a side note, the make a Sharpie mark called "Rub-a-Dub" and it's supposed to be permanent, even through washings.  I have black (for a random thing that never got too much rub or washing) and I have let to see a different color, but I never looked.  And... I cannot vouch for how well it does or does not stay on.  But just so you know....    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mermaidsvoice
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006 09:46:27 AM »

I'm with the person who said acrylic. All of my skirts and shirts (that I make both for myself and my etsy store) use acrylic paint without the fabric medium and they're permanent and never smudge. (for silver, since it is metallic and might need extra help holding, I'd use the fabric medium too. It's usually in the same isle as the acrylic I use- $0.83 per bottle, Darice or Applie Barrel or something in a similar bottle.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...