A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ??? Covering graffiti ???  (Read 1390 times)
Tags for this thread: graffiti  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

balahuniankid

shakin' like a revolution

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2006 07:21:04 PM »

My brother just got his first place for really cheap and we just figured out why. The walls are completely covered in graffiti. It looks like he's living under a birdge.

Does anyone know an effective way of covering graffiti or maybe of a very thick paint or primer?

We tried normal primer and that did nothing. After three coats, we can still see every detail.

We are officially stumped. Please help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 10:28:24 AM »

Get some paint thinner and paint the walls  with it? Acetone (nail polish remover) works great on metal miniatures. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.rattleheadgames.com') - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
pacasha
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 10:30:02 AM »

Kiltz is a godsend. Best primer ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006 10:44:33 AM »

You could always wallpaper. Or paint a design on the wall that works with the grafitti.

Did he look at the place before he rented/bought?? If so, shouldn't the landlord be painting over the grafitti or at least paying for the paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balahuniankid

shakin' like a revolution

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 07:12:38 PM »

Get some paint thinner and paint the walls  with it? Acetone (nail polish remover) works great on metal miniatures. . .

paint thinner wouldn't cover or get rid of the graffiti..it would just make the colors run together creating a very ugly brown color...and i'm not sure what metal miniatures have to do with anything Huh

You could always wallpaper. Or paint a design on the wall that works with the grafitti.

Did he look at the place before he rented/bought?? If so, shouldn't the landlord be painting over the grafitti or at least paying for the paint?

wallpaper it too expensive and we would still need to prime the walls because the graffiti would show through..its that bold.

as for designing around the graffiti...it litterally has the most obsene sayings and body parts painted all over. i don't think it's something anyone could live with.

and the landlord is paying for the paint...my brother is getting his first two months free for actually doing the painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006 07:14:55 PM »

why not work with the graffiti?

I mean, like, that could actually be really cool. 

Maybe put some thin coats of a darker color paint.

I dunno, I think the idea of grafitti on walls is great.  Tongue

Yeah...that didnt help much, sorry Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsChilePepper
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006 10:47:20 PM »

pacasha above suggested a product called Kilz (only she spelled it wrong).  From what I understand, this is probably your best bet, but if I were you, I'd visit your local paint store and ask them what they recommend.  Take photos if necessary; easy enough to delete them from a digital camera.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
Fudgegirl
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006 01:33:44 AM »

this is just an idea - i'm not a big painter by the way..... anyway, why don't you paint over it in a dark colour, then if you dan't want dark walls, you could paint over the dark paint a couple of times... yes, it would take heaps of work, but it might do the job.... y'know, the dark paint would cover the graff, then it would just be like painting over any other one-tone wall, just that this one is dark and takes heaps of paint to cover it... does that sound like any help? and if you wanted, you could de one wall in blackboard paint..... that way you don't have to pain it again and again..... but that would have to be okay with the ladlord and your brother. hmm. Oh well, maybe i helped..... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftjunkie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006 07:28:05 AM »

ask your local paint center  they should help... but there is a paint out there htat is used  to paint walss after a fire... the smoke damage..a little pricey but worth it.. good luck..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftjunkie
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006 07:34:55 AM »

i forgot to ask..if he is renting it is the landlords responsibilty to paint it... or at least he has to get the paint & you can do the painting.... he could get in trouble for the condition of the rental... plus in the contract for renting anyone has to get permision to paint the wall & he could go after the renters before him for damge but if he bought it than it is his responsibility now....plus you can paint over that paint with a darker color or a color after you paint with that paint for fire damage..go to lowes as they can help too if you don't have a paint center near you... better yet call to save time & money driving there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Twilight of Avalon Book Trailer
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Meet Author Sheila Weller
Max Watman Talks About Chasing the White Dog
Andrew Clements Discusses His Own Qualities
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...