A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Midsummer Night's Dream  (Read 2750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinkerbellstar

Dumbles and Voldy love to shimmy!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2006 09:31:14 AM »

I got some greeting cards free with some magazines a while ago and they're a bit strange. I couldn't honestly think of any occasion when I'd send one of them to anyone I know, but the hoarder in me decided to keep them. Then I saw this challenge and knew that one of those beauties would be perfect.

I chose this one...  

Not too strange at first glance but then there's everyone's really big hands and the fire at the bottom of the picture and possibly a horse/bull and the skull...

So I decided to revamp it to reflect A Midsummer Night's Dream. Here's the finished result..

The Cast
Orange Fire Guy - Oberon, King of the Fairies
Ginger Guy - Bottom
Ginger Girl - Titania, Queen of the Fairies
Small fairy in the tree - Puck (I know Puck's male in the play but that fairy was a lot of the inspiration for the piece so I didn't really want to change her)

I had to paint out the blond girl because she didn't fit the scene! Other than that I've changed Titania's dress and given her wings, given Bottom his donkey head, replaced the sun with the moon (with glitter around it - my scanner didn't pick up the shine), given Puck a tiny flower, added the title of the play at the bottom of the piece and put in the first line that Titania says when she sees Bottom "What angel wakes me from my flowery bed?".

The story of the scene is that Oberon wants to humiliate Titania into giving him her page boy. So he gets Puck to collect a flower 'love-in-idleness' so he can put some of the juice in her eyes while she's asleep, causing her to fall in love with whoever she first lays eyes on when she wakes up. This happens to be Bottom, a workman who has just come from rehearsals for a play in which he plays a donkey.

Thanks for looking  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 06:09:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006 12:29:55 PM »

That's a really clever revamp!

It's quite suprising how well the play fits into the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006 01:09:28 PM »

That's wonderful! I'm a huge Shakespeare fan (and a big faery lover), and Midsummer Night's Dream is my favorite plan. You really did an amazing job making this piece fit the play. I knew which scene this was supposed to be as soon as I saw it. (Plus, I keep going "I know that blond girl was there, but I can't even tell where was!")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006 10:24:49 PM »

I agree, wonderful job.  I keep looking between the before and after pictures to see what you changed, and everything in the revamp fits together so well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinkerbellstar

Dumbles and Voldy love to shimmy!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006 05:29:53 AM »

Thanks for your compliments! It was so fun to do, trying to make everything fit to the scene (apologies to blonde girl!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perricone MD Photo Plasma SPF 30 Review
Banana Boat Sport Performance CoolZone Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 Review
Neutrogena Beach Defense Water + Sun Barrier Spray SPF 70 Review
CeraVe Sunscreen SPF 50 For Face Review
Supergoop Advanced SPF 37 Anti-Aging Eye Cream Review
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...