A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,781
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggy Ears  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2006 06:53:46 PM »

Well I have two dogs, a beagle and a lab mix. They both seem to get yeast infections in their ears pretty commonly. When one gets it, the other will. Shadow (the lab) likes to lick Annabelle's ears after we put medicine in them, so I have taken to taking her into the bathroom and locking the door so that he can't get in and then having to tell him not to lick her, once we get out.
So, I looked up on the internet this problem. I found something about mixing alcohol, vinegar,and water, then applying it with a cotton ball, after squeezing out the excess. With Annabelle, the first time I tried it, I rubbed her ears with a warm, squeezed out, wash rag because she usually doesn't like her ears messed with. Then I put in the mixture, then some medicine. Well, we ran out of medicine. So today, she was itching her ears again and Shadow's smelled like yeast, so I put in the mixture. Shadow is ok with it, Annabelle acts pretty funny, shaking her head, rubbing it on the ground, and watching her leg twitch. I know she is just shaking the extra moisture out. Her ears are looking cleaner and less irritated.
Anyway, is this ok to do? It seems to be working. Do any others have this problem?
So, its not exactly crafty, but it is a crafty-type solution. The mixture is about 1 tsp vinegar, 1tsp water, and 1/2 tsp rubbing alcohol.
Nifty Crafter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006 04:10:47 PM »

I've had this problem before too.

I wouldn't add the alcohol to the mixture, I've read it can irritate inflammed ears.
One thing I recommend is after baths and events that get the ears wet, is to dry the ears completely because bacteria grows in wet areas, causing infections.

I've used a vinegar mixture that  worked fairly well. One part white vinegar, two parts water. I use this solution every day following the signs of infection and it went away in about a week. Now he hardly ever gets one.

Hope your puppies ears' feel better. Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Different Tricks to Curl Long Hair
Great Hairstyles for Back-to-School
Watch This Woman Transform into 11 Incredibly Easy Natural Hairstyles
Donald Trump: I Am My Hair
How to Make a Figure 8 Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...