A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,821
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skirt from huge pants  (Read 27010 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 10, 2003 10:56:07 PM »

I had a great old huge pair of corduroy pants, which I made into a skirt that fits.  You could use any pants for this project-- including pants that already fit you, or that are too small.  See http://megan.scatterbrain.org/notmartha/tomake/jeanskirt.html for another great how-to guide.

1.  open inseam of pants all the way around and up center back seam

2.  fold over front crotch and sew down out of the way. should make straight vertical seam from front;
mark new center back seam lines. I took mine in by about 2 1/2" each side. lines should be straight, bypassing back crotch piece which will stick out as extra

3.  pin straight vertical center back seam. pants legs should be laid out as they fall naturally, in an A line.  If you want a straighter skirt silhoutte, gently move the pants legs inwards.  For more flare, move them more outwards.

4.  straight center back seam, past old back crotch area. Pin straight down until fabric doesn't come together anymore

5.  cut off legs at desired length. I premeasured this.  Here you can also see the front & back center seams pinned

6.  pin extra leg fabric into triangular gaps left by center crotch seams. If using nap fabric. make sure it lines up nicely! I made the corduroy wales vertical in the inset, although they were following the A line of the skirt on the rest of the fabric.  It might be cool to use a totally different fabric here

7.  take the whole thing to your machine and sew front and back vertical center seams

8.  front: sew in inset.

9.  back, as above. Note that back inset is smaller than front. I just laid the fabric as the pants fell, but you could move it around to make the insets the same size

10.  I staystitched bottom of skirt all the way around in two parallel lines so that it would fray up to the stitches. I didn't stitch the insets because they were made using the pants cuffs. contrast thread color looks rad here.  You can also do a regular hem for a cleaner look.

11.  worn, front
12.  worn, back

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011 09:43:16 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003 03:54:38 AM »

Hmmm, this didnt seem quite as simple when a friend and i tried to make one out of her pants.. but maybe with these instructions and the page u listed we'll try to finish it again.... thanks susank  Kiss

now, ive been thinking of trying it with a pair of too small jeans... was wondering how much more clearance u think this'll give me? or if it would look silly if i added a stripe of fabric down one side or both even to add some more space? or i guess i could just force myself to go to the gym like ive been planning.... but, somehow i think thats a lost cause this time of year   Roll Eyes

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004 07:22:53 AM »

well, for pants that are too small, I've successfully opened up the side seams and inserted strips of fabric.  everyone thinks it looks cool.  I think it should look just as cool if it were a skirt.

Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004 09:22:53 AM »

well, for pants that are too small, I've successfully opened up the side seams and inserted strips of fabric.  everyone thinks it looks cool.  I think it should look just as cool if it were a skirt.

Ooooh - I've been thinking about doing this for a jean skirt that I don't, ahem, fit into anymore. Think you could post pics of how your pants turned out?

I was kinda thinking it would be cool to open the side seams and sew a piece of a neck tie into the sides to that extra coupla inches I need.

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004 02:53:31 PM »

megan has a nice tutorial as well on Not Martha:

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004 04:51:09 PM »

I made a short jean skirt like that using Megan's instructions on not martha and a combination of any others I could get my hands on.  I did a lot of pinning of panels and seams until I was totally happy, then sewed.  

My skirt came just above the knee so I used the scrap denim for inset panels.  Turned out nicer than anything I could buy!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004 06:38:48 PM »

Oooooo now I know what to do with the too-large, perfectly good, brand-new Levis I found on the dumpster!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004 07:46:05 AM »

wow that came out totally kewl! ur skirt looks awesome  Grin  great job!

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!

I Love Great Danes!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004 12:07:40 PM »

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004 02:56:40 AM »

good job on those cords !

yes, i did that with some jeans that, as you say "ahem" dont fit anymore... and found that by making the skirt out of them, it made it all fit again - amazing!!! tho i kept it as a long skirt, using a second pair of jeans to fill the triangle ...  (long skirt cause im too lazy to shave the legs!!! Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
How to Take a Portrait Picture
How to Photograph with a Tilt Shift Lens
How to Photograph with Infrared
How to Shoot an Engagement Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
The Legacy of Bob Ross
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...