A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Elfin Dress I knitted for my prom **Now with pattern**  (Read 7181 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

irateasianchild
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006 12:57:30 PM »

First off, mad props! That dress is awesome. I love the hemline and back. You rock! You rock out loud! Second, I can't believe your school let you wear that for prom. My school didn't let the back go any lower than the waist. Third, you look wonderful in the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006 09:08:05 AM »

Okay, guys, here's a little somewhat-pattern like you asked for!

If made into a pattern, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

That's very nice of you, but I honestly couldn't charge for this.  It's too much guesswork, since when I made it I didn't write anything down.  I hope that it will at least give you a place to start at reproducing this piece.  Getting it right for you will most likely use a little math.

Measurements
I am a size small.  The measurements for this don't have to be exact, since the back laces up, but you know your body.  If you're knitting it and it seems to be way off, add or subtract a few inches. 

Yarn
I used cheap acrylic because I liked the colors and it was free.  You could use whatever worsted weight yarn you like, though I don't reccommend wool because it is hot, or cotton because it doesn't stretch.  (Oh, loosen up, you synthetic-phobes!)

Needles
Size 10 circulars. (29")

I used the lacy lattice stitch, which can be found here.  I did 9 repeats of the stitch pattern, and each stitch repeat measures about 1 1/2" unstretched.  Basically the width of the top started at around 3/4 or 4/5 the size of my body when I wrapped it around tightly.
I continued until it was the length of my bust (4 repeats for me since I am very small).

Body
Switch to the main color.  Knit and purl back and forth 16 rows before you begin the shaping.
Row 17:  10 sts from each side, decrease by doing a k2tog on the right and a ssk on the left.
Row 18:  Plain
Row 19:  9 sts from each side, decrease 1.
Row 20:  Plain
Row 21:  8 sts from each side, decrease 1.
That's where I stopped decreasing, but if you have a sharper waistline, you can do a few more.
Knit/purl 16 rows plain.
Next row (right side):  Knit 5, M1, k to 5 till end, M1, k5.
Purl a row.  Every Knit row after that, M1... 6 sts from each end, then 7 sts from each end, then 8 sts, etc.
Continue until you have 8 or 10 M1's.  Now begin putting your M1s 1 st closer to the end on each row.  After 8 or 10 of those, do 8 or 10 M1's further from the ends.
This makes a zigzag of increases.
(Your garment will look like it's way too long for you at this point, but remember that when it's on it will stretch a lot width-wise.)
You are now ready to join in the round for the end of the back.  Knit a few rows, then put in a life line to try it on.  If you want, you can lace it up with some waste yarn just to see what it will look like.

Skirt
(This, like the rest of the dress, is pretty much all guesswork, so be prepared to follow some really bad directions.)
Knit anywhere between 10 and 25 sts, turn.  Knit back and forth (garter stitch) for six inches or so, then gradually begin decreasing 1 at the beginning of every three rows.  When it's down to one stitch, pull yarn through, break, and weave in.
Repeat this at a lot of varied numbers of stitches and rows until you've put "petals" all the way around and have no more live stitches.

Finishing
Line the top lacy part with some stretchy fabric.  I did this by poking holes in the fabric and crocheting all the way around, which took a bit of patience.  However you choose to attatch the lining, remember to stitch loosely and take stretchiness into account.
Crochet two rows around the entire edge of the skirt using the contrasting color.  I had to do this very tightly with a small hook to keep it from ruffling.
Crochet around the top with the main color.  Notice how your lacy lattice stitch has "points" on the sides.  These will be where you thread the ribbon to lace it up, so every time you reach a point, chain 3 to make a little loop.
Lace it down the back about every 10 stitches.  Tie the ribbon tightly at the end, but leave enough slack to at least get the dress on (Which might actually be the hardest part Wink).
To finish the skirt so your butt doesn't hang out, cut out lots of big triangles with the same fabric that lined the top.  Sew these around the skirt wherever you see them needed.  Again, account for stretchiness when you sew.

The end.  If any of that was unclear to you, please don't hesitate to ask!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 09:14:32 AM by lemonadelemonade » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Superfood Popsicles
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Bacon
How to Make Bacon Bourbon Blondies
How to Make Nutella Stuffed Brioche
How to Make 2-Ingredient Root Beer Float Popsicles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...