A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 5006- Corset, petticoat  (Read 20755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006 07:09:26 PM »

I have had the same problem with sizing and a Simplicity corset - I knew I should have made a mock up first, but I think I was just too excited to get started on the real thing! Anyway now I am thinking that I will make a new seam between rows of casing to bring it in a little.

I just finished a mock up and ive had the same prob - im between a 12 and a 14, i made it in a 12 but even with it fully closed its huge!
so im thanking my lucky stars that i made a  mock up before using the pretty chinese borcade

would anyone who's made this mind posting a close up of the elastic top, i just hemmed mine normally at the top and bottom cos i was worried that the lacey elastic would make it look too much like underwear (i indend on wearing it as outer wear)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006 08:31:04 PM »

When attatching the elastic to the top of mine, I just hemmed it normally and then attached the elastic. I didn't do it the way that they recommend.

This is a closeup I just took, does it show what you needed to know, or would you like something else?

I really should have ironed it....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006 04:34:16 PM »

thanks for that!

do you think the elastic helps in like holding it on ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006 01:59:32 AM »

Nope, not at all for me. I didn't stretch it when applying, but the elasticity was helpful when doing the curves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006 11:24:25 PM »

I made the corset part for prom! I used white and black satin, and I made satin bias tape to go around the edges. I also bought black cotton duck and sewed the boning into that, so there aren't lines of stitching on the satin part. Actually, the only pattern-following I did was for cutting out the pieces, and sewing them together. The rest of it I sort of winged it haha.

I only have one picture of it, sadly. I really ought to put it back on and get better pictures, especially because it's not as tight as it should be in the picture.

I got a waist reduction of 2", if I recall correctly, and there was about an inch gap in the back. The fit was pretty good, except I had to take in a bit around the bottom (I have small hips), and I had to take it in on the side bust seams, because I'm a really uncommon size.

I'm actually hoping to remake this in a different fabric, maybe something cute and 50s looking, with a halter strap, and possibly another one that will be all smooth and whatnot that I can wear under clothes because being skinny > being able to take huge breaths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samanthajpeach

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006 12:03:05 AM »

I made the corset part for prom! I used white and black satin, and I made satin bias tape to go around the edges. I also bought black cotton duck and sewed the boning into that, so there aren't lines of stitching on the satin part. Actually, the only pattern-following I did was for cutting out the pieces, and sewing them together. The rest of it I sort of winged it haha.

I only have one picture of it, sadly. I really ought to put it back on and get better pictures, especially because it's not as tight as it should be in the picture.

I got a waist reduction of 2", if I recall correctly, and there was about an inch gap in the back. The fit was pretty good, except I had to take in a bit around the bottom (I have small hips), and I had to take it in on the side bust seams, because I'm a really uncommon size.

I'm actually hoping to remake this in a different fabric, maybe something cute and 50s looking, with a halter strap, and possibly another one that will be all smooth and whatnot that I can wear under clothes because being skinny > being able to take huge breaths.

That is awesome!  I really like it!  & I must say, you look a lot like Thora Birch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful.
-- Ninon de L'Enclos
itsamutiny
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006 09:18:33 PM »

Cheesy Thanks! And lol you're not the first person who's told me I look like Thora Birch. I was in FYE one time, and the cashier told me I looked like her, and was nice enough to explain what movies she'd been in and whatnot, since I'd never heard of her before.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006 04:44:26 AM »

oooo, that is gorgeous. I love how you used different colours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006 09:40:49 PM »

Grin This is pretty much the first time I've posted a picture of something I made on the internet. It's awesome to hear randomer internet people like what I've made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xbucket-faeriex
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006 12:46:22 AM »

My mother based the skirt for my ball dress on the petticoat pattern. It came out like a 1920s dropwaist skirt that poofed out with the netting (we couldn't find tulle when we were fabric shopping but the netting hung surprisingly well). Mum just put an underskirt in, coz netting is rather itchy, and after a good press, it looked lovely Smiley Black netting over purple over black lace over the dark purple satin underskirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Denise Kiernan on The Girls of Atomic City
Chip Ingram’s Spiritual Simplicity
A Different Side of Judas Iscariot
The Tucci Cookbook: Cooking at Home With Stanley Trailer
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...