A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 5006- Corset, petticoat  (Read 22401 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zeeblebee
« on: April 29, 2006 08:00:16 PM »

I made the crinoline petticoat with elasticised waist and corset from Simplicity 5006 a little while ago.

The petticoat was made with white bridal tulle and some white fabric that I got as an offcut from my stash. I had so much trouble sewing the tulle (the machine would jam and thread snap) that I had to sew each seam with tissue paper underneath it, then self enclose the seams again. It got so tedious that it has taken me a few months to work up the courage to apply the lace to the bottom, though this time there didn't seem to be a problem.

I ended up lopping off about 6 inches from the bottom to bring it a bit above my knee, because originally it was far too long. Reading the pattern I was under the impression that there was only enough lace to put on the top layer, but I think I must have bought more than recommended as I was able to do both.

I am going to make another one, mostly because I want a little more fullness under heavy skirts. Next time I will use the zipper yoke rather then elasticised one because I feel that it can look a little bulky.

Fullness (sorry about the bluriness)

and on a coathanger

The corset is made of lavender homespun cotton, and is boned with cable ties. It has no lining, but it wouldn't be difficult to adapt the pattern to including one. The part I liked most is that it came with a modesty panel, though because of the size I didn't bother using it.

It wasn't difficult to make, and the instructions were clear. I didn't like the way that they applied the trim, so I just folded over and sewed, but I think I can see why they did it their way and will probably do it like that next time.

I like the shape and length of it.

Front

Back

Here is where my main beef comes up. I measurements were what one size called for, but I went down one because I wanted a bit of pull. However, the finished product is still a little big for me; I can stick my hand, leg, and bathroom sink up the gap at my tummy, and although my chest isn't large anyway, all the corset does is flatten it. They are generous with the sizing, and I think going down at least 1, but perhaps 2 will give a good fit.

oh, and please excuse the pj pants (it is only almost 1 PM here) and the decapitation. I am having a bad face week  Smiley.

I am also pretty sure that if you either a) used a lining or b) used commercial boning and inserted it the way they told you, it would get rid of the puckering. I just used my seam allowance as channels.

If you have tried it, or try it, please share your results; I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 03:53:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006 09:00:49 PM »

that is really freaking awesome! i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
zeeblebee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006 05:03:25 PM »

awwww, thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiramine
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006 09:34:52 AM »

That corset looks so great! And it's a nice colour too Smiley

And I never realized that cable ties could be used to boing. It's such a great idea! I'm going to have to try this very soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006 04:23:05 AM »

The mega corset thread here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8999.0

was really helpful, and I think it was probably in there that cable ties were suggested.

one trouble I had in getting the cable ties was finding ones that were large enough, but it all worked out in the end  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyb444
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006 11:39:16 AM »

That looks really nice on you, and I know what you mean about it flattening the chest and too much room at the tummy. That's my big issue with basically any corset I've ever tried on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006 06:32:26 PM »

Grin i was just about to buy this pattern for the corset, little question, how long did it take for you to make the corset?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006 07:17:21 PM »

To find your size did you go by the measurements and find the size that way and it was too big? I had that same problem with another simplicity pattern. Someone directed me to this pattern over on the discussion board. It looks cute on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006 07:24:49 PM »

having never made a corset, please excuse me if what im about to say is totally idiotic, but could you, the next time you try this, do a little dart down at the bottom side to bring the bottom front closer to your stomach?  the panel under your arm is sort of an upside down V ... i am envisioning a dart to make it more like || instead of /\ , thus making for a more uniform fit down the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
zeeblebee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006 07:02:38 PM »

fromvenuswithlove, it didn't take long to make the corset; I spread it over a couple of days during the hols with other projects, lots of sleeping, eating, and television. All together it took, maybe a couple of hours.

amyb444, I have a couple of other corsets, and the only one that doesn't do that is the underbust from a tutorial from the DarkLeather.com site, which is no longer there becasue of server switching I assume. Hopefully it will be up again later.

Thesingingllamas, I took the finished garment measurements off the tissue pattern, which were mine exactly. I then went down one, to a size that was a few inches smaller than me everywhere. If I hadn't been so lazy and made by boning channels before I checked to see whether it fit well or not, I would have picked up on it earlier. My trouble is I try holding it up to me, but always assume that it is a bit big because I haven't finished the edges. If you took more care than I did in fitting, you would get a better end result. Good luck if you do try it.

stereoette, what you are saying isn't at all idiotic, and I will have to try it like that. When I have finished off some other things, I will take off the trim at the bottom and try it out. At the moment I don't wear it becasue of the fit issues. Thanks  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zosia Mamet Debuts Platinum Bob at NYC Cocktail Party
5 Great Eco-Friendly Beauty Products
5 Beauty Tricks from Your Medicine Cabinet
Dr. Ava Shamban Explains Lip Injections
This Mom Just Put on a Bikini for the First Time in 10 Years
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...