A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewalongs?  (Read 5892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004 07:55:27 AM »

Captain Riley, you are SO right...what better time to tackle my zipper phobia than with a whole support group! I'm IN! Hehe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004 08:21:32 AM »

I was looking at that dress pattern not too long ago.  I think I was waiting for the pattern sale at Joanns (so cheap I am!).  If not a dress pattern then what?  I think there are already a ton of purses on craftster, and  shirts can be pretty complicated, too.   Why doesn't everyone challenge themselves to try a dress with a zipper?  I know I need the practice! 

new look patterns are like 3 dollars. they never go on sale. but they keep the patterns simple... I just thought that by picking something that you could theoretically do a bazillion different things with (i.e a simple dress with a universally flattering cut)

so are we decided on this pattern? or is there another suggestion

and its true- what better time to self challenge your sewing skills than when you know there's a bunch of others out there at the same time puzzling over the same project??? and you can come and post "hey how'd you do that???"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004 08:27:10 AM by shade_n_shadow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004 08:58:08 AM »

That dress is a wonderful pick because it would be so very easy to customize to every personality and whim- I already know what I want to do with mine, I just don't know if I'll be able to afford the fabric any time soon (which might very well put a damper on my participation until I find a second job- also, lack working camera). 

If we decided to go with that pattern (as there most certainly appears to be interest), I vote whoever wants to take the lead founds a new thread for it.  Maybe, should the collective project end successfully, Sewalongs can get their own board just like Knitalongs.  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004 09:34:08 AM »

i'd like to give the dress a try too! i think having the open, on-going time frame is a good idea.

and i agree with captain riley - for those who think the dress is too hard/time-consuming, we could always start another sewalong for a shirt or drawstring pants or something. let's have multiple community sewing experiences!

ohh... now see, i'd join y'all if ya did a pants sew along... i don't wear dresses very much, so it'd be neat to tackle pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
BeckyHomecky
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004 10:38:33 AM »

I'm game.

My vote would be for a dress. (I do like the New Look one suggested by shade_n_shadow.) I'm a larger size than all y'all (and larger than what the pattern goes up to) but it would be an extra challenge for me to learn how to fit patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crescentfresh
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004 03:34:10 PM »

looks like we've got a bunch of craftsters interested - i'm going out to get this apttern soon even if we dont end up using it for this, its very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004 03:52:43 PM »

Yes, yes, I would love to do this!  Trying new things is half the battle.  Now, to get the pattern without spending too much on other stuff.  tee hee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004 07:21:05 PM »

I'm game.

My vote would be for a dress. (I do like the New Look one suggested by shade_n_shadow.) I'm a larger size than all y'all (and larger than what the pattern goes up to) but it would be an extra challenge for me to learn how to fit patterns.

grading patterns up is not as hard as it sounds... if you are really worried about it, I will, just for this project, (if you want anyway) make a graded -up pattern for you. Pm me if you're interested.

I really like this whole idea!
I'm willing to start the official thread, but I think we should put it in sewing pattern reviews(for now), because it would highlight a particular pattern and we'd all be posting about the ups and downs of working with the particular pattern.

YAY!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
shes crafty
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2004 10:02:20 PM »

new look patterns are like 3 dollars. they never go on sale. but they keep the patterns simple... I just thought that by picking something that you could theoretically do a bazillion different things with (i.e a simple dress with a universally flattering cut)
so are we decided on this pattern? or is there another suggestion
and its true- what better time to self challenge your sewing skills than when you know there's a bunch of others out there at the same time puzzling over the same project??? and you can come and post "hey how'd you do that???"

I guess I must read the sale info incorrectly  Wink  Thanks for the info.  I do like the dress pattern and possibilities for different versions.  There seem to be quite a few interested in this pattern, so shade n shadow why don't you start that thread??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004 10:00:42 AM »

Cha ching: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9365.0

Thank you, shade_n_shadow!  Woo, excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ru Freeman Talks About A Disobedient Girl
Robert Englund Reveals
Robert Englund Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
The Mortal Instruments Book Trailer
Brian Billick Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...